Damaru again..

AnthonyKing

Damaru again..

Post by AnthonyKing »

Hello everyone.
This topic has already been discussed on the forum, but unfortunately I did not find answers to it.

Maybe some of you know what kind of glue the leather is attached to?
I know how to pull it on all sides. But I don’t understand what it holds after the excess leather is cut off?
The leatjer cannot hold on to its own tension, otherwise it will simply fall off after it gets wet.
Share your thoughts, who knows what?
The only thing that comes to my mind is epoxy, which should be applied before stretching the leather. But will it glue wet leather?
YesheDronmar

Re: Damaru again..

Post by YesheDronmar »

Sometimes the leather skin is attached to the drum head with twine or sinew too. Or maybe instead of glue?
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

I don't know the english words for the german Hautleim & Knochenleim...
maybe hide glue & bone glue ??
Lost In Transmission
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Hide glue.

If this is a chod-da, then use a very large hose clamp to hold the leather in place while the glue dries.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

As for small damarus, I got explanations (and the skins) from a Bhutanese lama:you don't need glue, but the 2 skins (goat preferably) have to be soaked for a longtime to reach the maximum elasticity
non coloured, used (after) green gouache, the traditional process involves copper plates under fire (oxydization), bit special

To reach the maximum tension you need to connect the two skin with a 1mm string using a long needle (better to double the skin on the periphery) all around the damaru getting your string slowly tighter and tighter, when you get maximum tension, you can then roll the rest of the string aroud the middle of the rope the tightest way as possible to achieve the utmost degree of tightedness , let it dry, then cut around
mine is around since over 15 years
could work for a chödar but with a very good skin and depending on the sides of the damaru's opening - if at a 90° angle or close, it will not do, we tried to do this many years ago fo a retreat center in France, the wooden parts (they had them done in France) sides were at a right angle, no way, skin naturally fell, so hide glue is probably the best option. Using the same way of achiving the maxmum extension of the skin.
Skins quality is probably the most important.
Seek advise from a Bhutanese, Tibetan or Sherpa pratictioner
"Me and the sky don't hold views - Me and the river have no fixed practice
Me and the madman don't have a guide- Me and the rainbow have no experiences
Me, the sun and the moon have no certitudes - Me and the jewel bear no fruit" - Dampa Sanggyé as quoted by Domar Mingyur Dorjé (born 1675)

Return to “Chod”