Chöd Inner Refuge

Shiva

Chöd Inner Refuge

Post by Shiva »

Greetings. What would you say is the inner refuge in Chöd? I am confused because seems to me Vajrayogini is both Yidam and Dakini. I always thought about Machig Labdron as Guru but seems she is actually Yidam? :?:

Thanks.
Gassho,

Namu Myoho Renge Kyo
heart

Re: Chöd Inner Refuge

Post by heart »

Shiva wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:08 am Greetings. What would you say is the inner refuge in Chöd? I am confused because seems to me Vajrayogini is both Yidam and Dakini. I always thought about Machig Labdron as Guru but seems she is actually Yidam? :?:

Thanks.
Depends on what Chöd practice you are doing.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Chöd is chöd. My tipette would be to study and practice it on it's own rich terms rather than trying to force it into the clothes of yidam practice, three roots or some other scheme.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

The refuges are the same as in other vajrayana practices. Buddha , Dharma and Sangha as outer refuge, and Three Roots as inner refuge. Machik is seen as inseparable from one's root guru.
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

heart wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:55 am
Shiva wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:08 am Greetings. What would you say is the inner refuge in Chöd? I am confused because seems to me Vajrayogini is both Yidam and Dakini. I always thought about Machig Labdron as Guru but seems she is actually Yidam? :?:

Thanks.
Depends on what Chöd practice you are doing.

/magnus
Magnus is spot on. Machik most certainly can be a Yidam. In fact, she can be both Guru and Yidam in the same practice.

Return to “Chod”