Chod Damaru tail

Rickden

Chod Damaru tail

Post by Rickden »

I've recently started practicing the Dudjom Throma Nagmo chod and some of the people in the centre I go to had suggested me to decorated the tassels of the damaru tail with beads, semi-precious stones, etc. If anyone experienced could throw some light on this subject? Like is it really meant to be decorated, and if yes, what is the significance, what are the things that need to be added and so on?
Thank you.

May the Buddha dharma flourish in all directions!!!
Dharmaswede

Re: Chod Damaru tail

Post by Dharmaswede »

- mirror
- tiger skin stripe – not actual tiger these days, some say animal skins
- semi-precious stones, particularly dzi, turquoise and amber
- hair from a Dakini
- hair from a dead person
- yerka, little bells
- conch ring
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

To expand on Dharmaswede's post, can be strip of tiger on one side and leopard on the other, an iron ring above the conch disc, and the Dakini hair can mean hair from a prostitute. Or some say, hair from a prostitute on one side and hair from a Dakini on the other. Have also heard hair from a Dakini and hair from a dead woman. Different lineages have slightly different traditions.

Yes, each thing means something.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:57 pm To expand on Dharmaswede's post, can be strip of tiger on one side and leopard on the other, an iron ring above the conch disc, and the Dakini hair can mean hair from a prostitute. Or some say, hair from a prostitute on one side and hair from a Dakini on the other. Have also heard hair from a Dakini and hair from a dead woman. Different lineages have slightly different traditions.

Yes, each thing means something.
I’ve heard 3 hairs: hair of a Dakini, hair of a very powerful woman, and hair of a demoness. I haven’t heard hair of a prostitute, that seems like the easiest to come by!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Because I was one of my Teacher's shabjis (close attendants), I was able to find a hair from my Teacher's wife which for me qualifies as a Dakini's hair. That was five decades ago. More recently I was able to find a hair from Chatral Rinpoche's Sangyum (Sangyum Kamala) after She stayed with us which also totally qualifies as a Dakini's hair.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:00 pm Because I was one of my Teacher's shabjis (close attendants), I was able to find a hair from my Teacher's wife which for me qualifies as a Dakini's hair. That was five decades ago. More recently I was able to find a hair from Chatral Rinpoche's Sangyum (Sangyum Kamala) after She stayed with us which also totally qualifies as a Dakini's hair.
Great. Did you find a (worldly)powerful woman, or demoness hair yet?

I’m going to have to start befriending hair stylists for the rich and famous ;)
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

For your reference, at the beginning of the Longchen Nyingthig Chod Text (Khandro Gejang), there is a passage that explains in a few sentences the meaning/purpose of each of the accoutrements for the Chod practitioner, including those you mentioned as well as the drum, khangling, small tent, khatvanga (trident), and animal skin rug.

Return to “Chod”