Chagchen Chöd vs Dzogchen Chöd

yagmort

Chagchen Chöd vs Dzogchen Chöd

Post by yagmort »

For someone who has only a very superficial understanding of Chöd, is it possible to explain is there any difference between Chöd of Machig Labdron and let's say Trhöma Nakmo Chöd of Dudjom Tersar? I'm not familiar with either of these so please bare with me if my question doesn't have much meaning.
So, to put this into perspective you know how they say that naro cho druk is like a bow and chagchen is like an arrow, is there any similar thing to say about chöd and chagchen/dzogchen? Is chöd an entirely complete path in itself, utilizing its own set of meditative techniques, or is it eventually resolved with either chagchen or dzogchen and chöd is merely an intermediate and effective practice to get there?
stay open, spread love
Dharmaswede

Re: Chagchen Chöd vs Dzogchen Chöd

Post by Dharmaswede »

I am not by any means an authority, but this is my impression:

Chöd is Chöd. Across lineages and cycles, it is rather consistent in terms of the elements of the practice. As such it is unique, although it does, of course, share many, many aspects with other practices in Tibetan Buddhism.

Dzogchen is the view, and as such it does not – on the outer level – change the practice, although it is decisive for the inner outlook. Mahamudra is another view featured in some Chöd cycles. Again, the practices are similar and the view is 'same but different' from that of Dzogchen.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

thank you for response Dharmaswede
stay open, spread love
clan

Post by clan »

Hi,

look at this description for the book of Khenpo Rinpoches, "Cutting Through Ego and Revealing Fearlessness: Chod Practice According to Jigme Lingpa’s Bellowing Laugh of the Dakini":
https://www.padmasambhava.org/chiso/boo ... he-dakini/

"Dzogchen teaches the essence of Chod. We could also say that Dzogchen practice is absolute Chod practice. Many of us know and practice the Dzogchen approach of Trekcho, which means “cutting thoroughly.” In Dzogchen, where are we cutting? We’re cutting in the space of the dharmadhatu. What are we cutting? All dualistic conceptions. While we’re cutting with this view, there is no cutter, no object to be cut, and no cutting. In other words, our practice is free from grasping on to subject, object, and action. This is the essential view that Dzogchen practitioners use to cut all dualistic conceptions, which is also the essential understanding to maintain during Chod practice."

Return to “Chod”