Air travel with a khanglng

pema tsultrim

Air travel with a khanglng

Post by pema tsultrim »

I'm going to be flying from California to Montana in a couple weeks. I am wondering if it is too much trouble to take my khangling. Has anyone flown domestic within the US with a khangling recently and had problems? No problems? Tips? Any advice or experiences appreciated.
Simon E.

Re: Air travel with a khanglng

Post by Simon E. »

Well I should start by saying that I have no experience of such matters in terms of domestic flights within the U.S.
However I once took a flight from London to Paris taking with me a khangling being sent by one Dharma student to another.
What I did was cover it lightly in bubble wrap and showed it unasked to security and customs, and explained what it was, rather than have them discover it. They were completely unfazed and waved me through.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Yes, alot of practitioners from back in the old days would use it to travel through the air! :tongue:

Maybe put it in the cargo bag with a picture of a chopa playing it and write on the back of the picture something “cultural musical instrument, not antique” something like that?
etinin

Post by etinin »

Find a resin kangling. There are also metal ones. As per Machik's instructions, as long as it is not made from bone or wood, it can be used. If you have a real human-bone kangling, do not risk losing it to customs.
--Karma Rigpe Wangchuk

"Meditation brings wisdom. Lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back."
Shakyamuni
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

etinin wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm Find a resin kangling. There are also metal ones. As per Machik's instructions, as long as it is not made from bone or wood, it can be used. If you have a real human-bone kangling, do not risk losing it to customs.
Source?!?
Lost In Transmission
etinin

Post by etinin »

lelopa wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:53 pm
etinin wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm Find a resin kangling. There are also metal ones. As per Machik's instructions, as long as it is not made from bone or wood, it can be used. If you have a real human-bone kangling, do not risk losing it to customs.
Source?!?
Machik touches on it on her full commentary. Ask your teacher about it, as it may vary from tradition to tradition. Mahamudra Chod has these restrictions as per KTD instructions.
--Karma Rigpe Wangchuk

"Meditation brings wisdom. Lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back."
Shakyamuni
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

etinin wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:13 pm
lelopa wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:53 pm
Source?!?
Machik touches on it on her full commentary. Ask your teacher about it, as it may vary from tradition to tradition. Mahamudra Chod has these restrictions as per KTD instructions.
i was teached several times: "only human bone, no wood, or animal bone, or metal"
Lost In Transmission
pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

Update: I made it from CA to Montana and back on my flights with my khangling. I took the advice in one reply and proactively showed it to the security, told them what it was. They took it out (wearing their gloves) kind of exchanged glances (one said to another, "take a look at this. This is interesting, huh?") and gave it back with no problems.

Didn't have to deal with customs per se since it was a domestic flight. Just X-ray security folks.

They were actually more concerned about my bell and dorje since they looked weird on the x-ray screen.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

pema tsultrim wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:51 am Update: I made it from CA to Montana and back on my flights with my khangling. I took the advice in one reply and proactively showed it to the security, told them what it was. They took it out (wearing their gloves) kind of exchanged glances (one said to another, "take a look at this. This is interesting, huh?") and gave it back with no problems.

Didn't have to deal with customs per se since it was a domestic flight. Just X-ray security folks.

They were actually more concerned about my bell and dorje since they looked weird on the x-ray screen.
:twothumbsup:
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Chod”