Zazen and emptiness

seeker242

Re: Zazen and emptiness

Post by seeker242 »

Rick wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:54 am
seeker242 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:50 am "Shikantaza is to practice or actualize emptiness." ~Shunryū Suzuki

Of course most people don't actually have the ability to practice Shikantaza correctly.
There ya go. That's what I was trying to say, only about zazen.
He goes on to say this in the same talk.
I want you to understand what we are doing here at Zen Center. Sometimes it may be all right to practice zazen as a kind of exercise or training, to make your practice stronger or to make your breathing smooth and natural. That is perhaps included in practice, but when we say shikantaza, that is not what we mean.
So he is specifically talking about just Shikantaza, not just any old zazen. https://www.lionsroar.com/letters-from-emptiness/
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Way-Fun

Post by Way-Fun »

Rick wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:56 am
Way-Fun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:57 am You practice zazen and realize you.
Zazen practices you and realizes zazen.
Emptiness practices emptiness and realizes emptiness.
Zazen practices zazen and realizes zazen.
Ummmmmmmmm ... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??!!!! :tantrum:
We don't practice zazen to cultivate a sense of understanding. You feel what you feel when you feel it, see what you see when you see it, understand when you understand, and don't understand when you don't understand. Confusion is not a broken form of clarity. The point of entry is always where you are.
Rick

Post by Rick »

seeker242 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:25 am So he is specifically talking about just Shikantaza, not just any old zazen. https://www.lionsroar.com/letters-from-emptiness/
Thanks.

I enjoyed the Lion's Roar article. One thing I'm not sure about: Can shikantaza arise spontaneously from zazen? As in you're doing zazen, and breath attention falls away, and all you are left with is 'just sitting.'
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Rick wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm
seeker242 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:25 am So he is specifically talking about just Shikantaza, not just any old zazen. https://www.lionsroar.com/letters-from-emptiness/
Thanks.

I enjoyed the Lion's Roar article. One thing I'm not sure about: Can shikantaza arise spontaneously from zazen? As in you're doing zazen, and breath attention falls away, and all you are left with is 'just sitting.'
I would say it depends on the person doing it. :)
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
clyde

Post by clyde »

Rick wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm
Thanks.

Yes, exactly.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”

Return to “Zen”