Experience with Throssel Hole / OBCon?

RooO

Experience with Throssel Hole / OBCon?

Post by RooO »

Good afternoon, or good day all!

Hope you're staying well.

I was wondering if anyone had *recent* experience (last 2/3 years) with the OBCon order (preferably UK/EU side?) and could tell me about your experience with them and what you think? I've had experience with the StoneWater Zen sangha but I don't wish to progress with the teachers there and OBCon is the other available lineage.

I'm aware of some controversial past and management, but it seems a bit different UK side to State-side from what I've seen/experienced with them in their branches (I spent a couple of months practising briefly in Reading before moving - seemed nice!).

I was wondering if anyone has been to Throssel Hole, has experience with them, whether things have shaped up for OBCon over the recent times or whether there are some issues, and what it is like to practice with them?

Many thanks,
Roo
White Lotus

Re: Experience with Throssel Hole / OBCon?

Post by White Lotus »

The name Throssel entered into my mind last night. I can’t remember hearing that name before or seeing it. Before you take the step really look into it. A hole is not always a bad place to be! :thinking:
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

I have never heard of them, but if an organization is controversial, why take the risk?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

I’ve stayed there it’s in the North of England don’t really view it as controversial it’s a Zen Monastery essentially with both male and female ordained members.

It’s Soto the main practice is staring at a wall
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Hazel wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:37 pm I have never heard of them, but if an organization is controversial, why take the risk?
From the sound of it, the OP doesn't have a wide choice -
RooO wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:26 pm ... OBCon is the other available lineage. ... [emphasis added]
In those circumstances, checking out the group is certainly worthwhile.

Perhaps I particularly noticed this because I have a similar lack of choice.

:coffee:
Kim
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Wasn't the center originally associated with Jiyu Kennet Roshi?
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

My experience isn't recent, sorry, but 6-7 years back I went there many times and was sitting with the local East Midlands group. Extremely nice, extremely friendly, and I never felt anything but welcome. Why not go for an introductory weekend? They really lay down a nice program, with talks, some dharma jobs, food, socialization, chanting sessions. I am sorry I stopped going, but I started to feel more affinity with Vajrayana so moved. The East Midlands sangha is lovely and I found the camaraderie in my heart. Never felt anything dodgy. The chanting is somewhat "westernized", which some people said they appreciated.

If you have a local group probably good to go to some meetings first. But do visit TH if possible - the setting itself is fantastic, and I remember driving through unseasonable snow to get there which was quite an adventure.
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche

Return to “Zen”