Understanding the Teaching

master of puppets

Understanding the Teaching

Post by master of puppets »

l have understand the teaching. (New!)

Yet, still have problems on putting into practice. The ordinary works/issues of the day make slip the time in my hand.

Any advice mostly welcome...
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Understanding the Teaching

Post by Hazel »

master of puppets wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 pm l have understand the teaching. (New!)

Yet, still have problems on putting into practice. The ordinary works/issues of the day make slip the time in my hand.

Is your question about how to integrate new understanding into your daily life?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
master of puppets

Hazel wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:36 pm
master of puppets wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 pm l have understand the teaching. (New!)

Is your question about how to integrate new understanding into your daily life?
absolutely
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Short version: keep thinking about it/analyzing it, apply it when you remember, repeat.

In essence, there are a couple different kinds of memory. One of those kinds is the memory that you should do something. The more you remember to do it (i.e. put something into practice) and then actually do it, the stronger that memory is going to get. This can be strengthened with reminders - anything from notes to yourself to simply setting aside time to analyze the new understanding.

reiun

Post by reiun »

Vet and confirm your understanding with a qualified teacher, via zoom, email, etc.(someone like Meido Roshi, whom you are already familiar with: https://www.korinji.org/korinji-rinzai-zen-monastery). Then, follow his guidance to actualize it.
master of puppets

Hazel wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 pm Short version: keep thinking about it/analyzing it, apply it when you remember, repeat.

In essence, there are a couple different kinds of memory. One of those kinds is the memory that you should do something. The more you remember to do it (i.e. put something into practice) and then actually do it, the stronger that memory is going to get. This can be strengthened with reminders - anything from notes to yourself to simply setting aside time to analyze the new understanding.
This is one of the best advices l've ever had.
thank you. This is actually what l could do.

betterly l want to do force my self more on the subject

anything that l could do more to complete %100??
Last edited by master of puppets on Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master of puppets

reiun wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:59 pm

Vet and confirm your understanding with a qualified teacher, via zoom, email, etc.(someone like Meido Roshi, whom you are already familiar with: https://www.korinji.org/korinji-rinzai-zen-monastery). Then, follow his guidance to actualize it.
thank you. will consider..
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

master of puppets wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:14 pm
Hazel wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 pm Short version: keep thinking about it/analyzing it, apply it when you remember, repeat.

This is one of the best advices l've ever had.
thank you. This is actually what l could do.

betterly l want to do force my self more on the subject

anything that l could do more to complete %100??
reiun's advice about vetting and confirming your understanding with an expert (i.e. a qualified teacher) applies here and is important. You don't want to end up pushing yourself in the wrong direction! That can lead to more harm than good.

It's good to have patience, rely on trusted individuals, and never give up!

master of puppets

Hazel wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 pm never give up!
namaste

l didn't give up at past 20 years.
l will not either.
michaeljc

Post by michaeljc »

Practice Zazen

Zen has nothing to to with understanding

Its about experiencing through the gradual (and sometimes abrupt) ripening through Zazen

M

Return to “Zen”