NYC Temple Relationships

agn123

NYC Temple Relationships

Post by agn123 »

Hi all,

I was thinking of checking out some Zen centers in NYC (eventually, when open again), and came across the First Zen Institute of America and the Zen Studies Society, both old (in the context of Zen in the US) Rinzai centers. FZI is lay led, but other than that, can someone shed some light on these organizations?

It seems odd to me that two Rinzai centers would be established so close to each other, and be maintained for decades (in an expensive place like Manhattan to boot!).
KeithA

Re: NYC Temple Relationships

Post by KeithA »

agn123 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:04 pm Hi all,

I was thinking of checking out some Zen centers in NYC (eventually, when open again), and came across the First Zen Institute of America and the Zen Studies Society, both old (in the context of Zen in the US) Rinzai centers. FZI is lay led, but other than that, can someone shed some light on these organizations?

It seems odd to me that two Rinzai centers would be established so close to each other, and be maintained for decades (in an expensive place like Manhattan to boot!).
They are two different lineages, within Rinzai. I would suggest doing some googling. ZSS is a very large can of worms, for sure.

🙏
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
reiun

Post by reiun »

ZSS Shobo-ji may still be closed for in-person. They do have online stuff, including a Hakuin Study Group led by a well-regarded scholar on Wednesdays.

Shinge Roshi is abbess, and is headquartered at Hoen-ji in Syracuse. Several other teachers are currently involved with ZSS. Several other female students were involved over the years in secret affairs with Eido Shimano (d. 2018), who stepped down ten years ago as a direct result of the scandal. Despite the passage of a decade, some in the Zen community may still get activated when this comes up. Not aware of any current goings-on.

Dai Bosatsu Zendo is a jewel of a monastery in the Catskills. One could meet many practitioners and staff at O Bon, held in August, if you want an opportunity to get to know people as a guest student (work commitment gets free attendance), or even a guest. Lantern-painting, a beautiful lakeside ceremony, and other rituals and festivities are featured over the weekend. Attended many times years ago when I was a student of Eido roshi. If you plan to go, you might snag a ride from the city with a Shobo-ji student.

(Must note that I publicly supported Genjo Marinello, not Shinge, to succeed as abbot.)

For more info: zenstudies.org
agn123

Post by agn123 »

Thank you both for the information.

It seems that the founder of FZI did not leave a dharma heir, so they have been lay led since 1945, save for visiting teachers, the last of whom was Sasaki Joshu-roshi (he stopped visiting in 1987). I find this very interesting, especially since, according to Wikipedia, their founder Sokei-an did not teach zazen at the temple and instead focused only on sanzen practice. I will have to check this place out (and SSC) once things open up.

I am actually preparing to take tokudo in a Shingon lineage so I have my own home practice, but it would be nice to have a community of folks to be social with.

Return to “Zen”