Does the Tathagata reside in Dhyana?

PeterC

Re: Does the Tathagata reside in Dhyana?

Post by PeterC »

Owlsd wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:41 pm
You seem very invested in your ideas- which is definitely one of the things that can happen when attempting a DIY practice. Are you looking for a "yes, you're right- you have Zen all figured out"?
I’m sorry I’ve given you that impression. No I’m not looking for someone to tell me, “Yes, you get it!” Although that is nice to hear, that’s not what motivates me.

I have serious questions! (In my mind at least, they’re probably just points of attachment I’m not ready to stop dwelling on)

I’m not trying to offend anyone or anything like that. If you don’t want to answer my questions, then don’t you know, this is probably just a little hell I’m pulling you all in due to my own confusions.

To me these questions are essential to my fundamental understanding of the Tathagata. I don’t want to be misled or to mislead others.

I’m posting questions that I think are rather clearly laid out, and I’m just speaking an honest discussion on the matter so I can have clarity.

So far I’ve received either unequivocal answers, recommendations to find a teacher, (which is nice!), or talk about painting and hiking, which, while nice as well, aren’t zen either.

I just want clarity, that’s all.

Because that last sentence, is really I guess what lays it all out.

Are painting and hiking Zen? Some would say they are, they would point at these things and say, “this is it!”

Some would say they aren’t, and point at painting and hiking and go, “this isn’t it!”

I guess I really shouldn’t see it either way right? Hiking and painting are neither it nor not it. Affirmations, Denials.

Idk, it’s scary in a way to have to figure it out alone up here, I’m just looking for help I guess, and I’m not really interested in teachers, I’m interested in what my fellow wayfarers think, because you’re just as much it as I am! Or not it, or both and neither.

Surely you have some opinions. Or maybe you all are further along than me, and don’t hold an opinion on the matter at all.

I think I just took myself on a trip with this one, so thanks I guess. Maybe I saw something through this conversation, maybe not. I don’t know anymore.
You are engaged in prapanca. It will not help you.

Every single school of Buddhism, including the Zen school, emphasizes the importance of having teachers. There is a simple reason for that: the Buddhadharma is difficult. The concepts involved are not always intuitive. You don't always know how to interpret and respond to the experiences you have. And in the Zen school in particular, there's always the risk of being distracted by cool, profound-sounding stories or maxims, and taking a detour into the land of meaningless bullshit.

So: find a teacher. It's really not that difficult, and it makes all the difference, and it's a much better idea than seeking advice from strangers on the internet.
clyde

Post by clyde »

Owlsd, Both narhwal90 and PeterC have recommended that you find a teacher. Since you have access to the Internet, you have access to Zen teachers, even if you can’t sit with one because of the pandemic or lack of local teachers. And, at least equally important, find a sangha - even those are meeting regularly on the Internet.

Forums are good and have their place - but they don’t replace a sangha that sits together.
“Enlightenment means to see what harm you are involved in and to renounce it.” David Brazier, The New Buddhism

“The most straightforward advice on awakening enlightened mind is this: practice not causing harm to anyone—yourself or others—and every day, do what you can to be helpful.” Pema Chodron, “What to Do When the Going Gets Rough”
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

clyde wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:26 pm Owlsd, Both narhwal90 and PeterC have recommended that you find a teacher. Since you have access to the Internet, you have access to Zen teachers, even if you can’t sit with one because of the pandemic or lack of local teachers. And, at least equally important, find a sangha - even those are meeting regularly on the Internet.

Forums are good and have their place - but they don’t replace a sangha that sits together.
I like this Korean zen teacher based in Malaysia.
He does regular live streaming videos on Facebook and is happy to correspond with you if you contact him:
https://m.facebook.com/haengwonzen
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Zen”