I'm looking for documentaries about hermits

Russian

I'm looking for documentaries about hermits

Post by Russian »

Are there any similar documentaries, such as "Among the White Clouds"?

I'm looking for something similar to this - https://youtu.be/pH2ozq65yHQ

About Chan, Zen hermits. If anyone knows about such films, please throw off the links to YouTube, or the name of the films.
Russell

Re: I'm looking for documentaries about hermits

Post by Russell »

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

:lol:

They look suffered yo!
It’s eye blinking.
Russian

Post by Russian »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:33 pm :lol:

They look suffered yo!
And should they look like that? Should they look like this?

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

At least you have a sense of humor unlike serious folks on here!
It’s eye blinking.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Very amazing documentary. Reflecting off of it I feel a deep connection to the Buddha-Nature of the people in it. They are like me and you, and we can become like them. I also would be interested in seeing more documentaries like this!
Russian

Post by Russian »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 am I also would be interested in seeing more documentaries like this!
1) An Anglican priest comes to Shaolin. The second part of the documentary is interesting, when he visits the community of a hermit who once also was in the Shaolin monastery, but then went to the mountains and the community was organized around him. It is the second part that is of interest. When Peter leaves Shaolin and goes to the mountains, to the community of a master - https://youtu.be/NAk9c7V48yk

2) 90-day retreat at Baeuk Haung Korean Monastery - https://vk.com/video15689601_167892128

3) About Tibetan hermits - https://youtu.be/lM8hoLuUbME

4) https://youtu.be/G6KyQIo9Q7M?t=37

5) https://youtu.be/ZQ50fOmSBrU

6) Chol Sunim. Show his relics (sarira) - https://youtu.be/3YlZqeA8AZg?t=1156
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

see here: https://dharma-documentaries.net/

also this:
Russian

Post by Russian »

Chanting the Heart Sutra - https://youtu.be/RAcE8U8SWlo?t=3

Dharani 11-Face of Avalokiteshvara (Girls sing, it seems to be Taiwan) - https://youtu.be/Q0yix2GOTFw
Russian

Post by Russian »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 am
Here's another interesting documentary - https://youtu.be/Cn2FKHtoHRI
JoaoRodrigues

Post by JoaoRodrigues »

This one is Red Pine in 2014 returning to that very same mountain.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

These folks just hide they know no difficulty of life a common folk like us have to deal with. :lol: Just kidding...
It’s eye blinking.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

There's also Mingyur Rinpoche's film: "Wandering But Not Lost"
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

LastLegend wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:06 pm These folks just hide they know no difficulty of life a common folk like us have to deal with. :lol: Just kidding...

While I loved “Amongst White Clouds”, I got exactly this feeling. Not kidding at all.

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Budai

Post by Budai »

KeithA wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:46 am
LastLegend wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:06 pm These folks just hide they know no difficulty of life a common folk like us have to deal with. :lol: Just kidding...

While I loved “Amongst White Clouds”, I got exactly this feeling. Not kidding at all.

_/|\_
Keith
They’re the ones that got away from it all. Modern day bustle life is unsustainable compared to theirs.
JoaoRodrigues

Post by JoaoRodrigues »

This is a subject I've been interested for many years, and I'll probably be interested in the years to come. I'll start by saying, that today, in my opinion, the china hermitage culture doesn't equal dharma knowledge, or dharma practice, or dharma (whatever you wanna add). After searching on the subject, reading, listening to the hermits, I'd honestly go to people here for dharma understanding, not them. They are outcasts, they felt overwhelmed by the society they lived in, that's my opinion. I still find them very interesting, and I envy them a little bit as well, but I'm smart enough to know nothing is what it seems to be.

It's very appealing, but also difficult to do so. I'd not give out my comforts: my refrigerator, my soft bed, my toilet, my daily shower, my access to health care to go live in a mountain by myself depending on strangers to get my noodles and rice, depending on the weather to get my vegetables. If I lived in China working 12-hours a day, six days a week, away from my family in a big corporation that doesn't care about me? Yes, I would work five or even ten years, live as cheap as I possibly could during those years, and at age of twenty five, or twenty eight I'd have raised enough money to live there at least for fifteen or thirty years without caring for basic clothing and food, but that, doesn't have anything to do with the dharma, it actually contradicts it.

We're walking to a society that two things can happen, one, the advancements we've made will make people work less and less, and that will be another problem because they won't know what to do with the time they aren't working, it's called boredom. The other thing that can happen is mass psychological problems for being reduced to a working donkey until retirement, if the first thing doesn't happen fast. We're (the younger generation) growing incapacitated to do that kind of human reduction today.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

JoaoRodrigues wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:43 am ...
There are lineages of practice and lineages of explanation. Chan yogis often don't know things... And I'm sure there are some practitioners who go into the mountains after they've received an education.

It seems a bit strange to say that there are no living lineages in the mountains of China. Unless you're saying you just prefer the knowledge aspect of Dharma.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

_/|\_
Keith
I love how people tend to think that somehow first world problemas are harder than not having proper shelter, heat and food.
Not to mention the difficulties of actually doing the practice intensively.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Tata1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:00 am

_/|\_
Keith
I love how people tend to think that somehow first world problemas are harder than not having proper shelter, heat and food.
My opinion is formed by the words of the people they talked to in the documentary. No assumptions were. I just listened. :)

Not disparaging these monastics. I appreciate their practice. But, my opinion is Bodhisattva's go to where the suffering is, rather than hide in the mountains. There is certainly a time for that for that style of practice, though.

I guess I've always had a dim view of monasticism. Give me Mother Theresa any day.

Ah well, just another opinion. Not worth the pixels it's written on. :jumping:
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

KeithA wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 am
Tata1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:00 am

_/|\_
Keith
My opinion is formed by the words of the people they talked to in the documentary. No assumptions were. I just listened. :)

Not disparaging these monastics. I appreciate their practice. But, my opinion is Bodhisattva's go to where the suffering is, rather than hide in the mountains. There is certainly a time for that for that style of practice, though.

I guess I've always had a dim view of monasticism. Give me Mother Theresa any day.

Ah well, just another opinion. Not worth the pixels it's written on. :jumping:
You do realize that a number of them nearly died from starvation and cold in those mountains?

I bet those hermits realize emptiness much faster than any of us. I think they said in the film, some have their experience after one or two years and then go back into society. Some stay to continue cultivating for decades without interruption.

Buddha himself was a hermit.

Return to “Zen”