Beautiful chan calligraphy

SilenceMonkey

Beautiful chan calligraphy

Post by SilenceMonkey »

There's an awesome chan master in malaysia named 繼程法師 Jicheng Fashi (Master Chi Chern). He's the first Dharma heir of master Sheng Yen, the second being 果如法師 Guoru Fashi whose monastery is in Beitou area of Taipei.

Jicheng Fashi is an amazing calligrapher and painter and he posts pictures of his works on facebook every day or so under the name Ma Ti Shi Jia.
PeterC

Re: Beautiful chan calligraphy

Post by PeterC »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:34 am There's an awesome chan master in malaysia named 繼程法師 Jicheng Fashi (Master Chi Chern). He's the first Dharma heir of master Sheng Yen, the second being 果如法師 Guoru Fashi whose monastery is in Beitou area of Taipei.

Jicheng Fashi is an amazing calligrapher and painter and he posts pictures of his works on facebook every day or so under the name Ma Ti Shi Jia.
Any reason he doesn't use his 果X dharma name?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

PeterC wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:24 am
SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:34 am There's an awesome chan master in malaysia named 繼程法師 Jicheng Fashi (Master Chi Chern). He's the first Dharma heir of master Sheng Yen, the second being 果如法師 Guoru Fashi whose monastery is in Beitou area of Taipei.

Any reason he doesn't use his 果X dharma name?
Good question. (For those who don't know, Master Sheng Yen's first generation of students' dharma names start with 果 guo, second generation starts with 常 chang.)

About Jicheng fashi, I believe his name comes from his first master in Malaysia. He has a loose relationship with Dharma Drum Mountain... He received dharma transmission from Master Sheng Yen, but he also has lineage obligations with his first master. I believe this is why his monastery is in malaysia and not affiliated with Dharma Drum Mountain. But he comes to taiwan each year to lead Chanqi (seven day chan retreat).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Chern

If anyone wants to learn with this awesome master, he does 49 day retreats each summer in poland.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:33 am (For those who don't know, Master Sheng Yen's first generation of students' dharma names start with 果 guo, second generation starts with 常 chang.)
The first character of each generation's dharma name comes from the relevant lineage poem, in this case the Rinzai/Linji one, though Sheng Yen also holds the Cao Dong lineage and has I think given a few people dharma names from that, not sure why:

智慧清静,道德圆明。真如性海,寂照普通。心源广续,本觉昌隆。能仁圣果,常演宽宏。惟传法印,正悟会融。坚持戒定,永继祖宗。
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

PeterC wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:29 am
SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:33 am (For those who don't know, Master Sheng Yen's first generation of students' dharma names start with 果 guo, second generation starts with 常 chang.)
The first character of each generation's dharma name comes from the relevant lineage poem, in this case the Rinzai/Linji one, though Sheng Yen also holds the Cao Dong lineage and has I think given a few people dharma names from that, not sure why:

Oh this is fascinating, thank you.

You're right ~ I can see where Dharma Drum is located in the lineage... 圣果,常演 The younger monks and nuns have 演 Yan as the first character in their name. When the poem ends does it start again from the beginning with the next generation?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 am
PeterC wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:29 am

Oh this is fascinating, thank you.

You're right ~ I can see where Dharma Drum is located in the lineage... 圣果,常演 The younger monks and nuns have 演 Yan as the first character in their name. When the poem ends does it start again from the beginning with the next generation?
In theory, yes, but with the average age per generation, it's likely to be about five hundred more years before we get to that point. From peoples' dharma names you can tell who their preceptors were. So any Guo generation monk in DDM had Sheng Yen as preceptor. Any Chang generation monk had one of the Guo monks as preceptor - Guo Dong, Guo Yuan, etc. And so on. Since people usually take vows with the most senior monk in the monastery it's about 25-30 years or so between generations.

Return to “Zen”