Zen on sleeping

JoaoRodrigues

Zen on sleeping

Post by JoaoRodrigues »

I've heard somewhere, vaguely, I think on a Alan Watts lecture, long time ago, that zen monks, or, anyone who practices zen, have a guideline (possibly not the right word) on how to sleep, or, their sleeping position, don't know.

I've noticed that similarity, possibly a simple coincidence, on two distinct films.

Any information on that? Obliged.

Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For The East (1989)

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
Svalaksana

Re: Zen on sleeping

Post by Svalaksana »

I unfortunately have no information on this, though I would be interested in it as well.

Nevertheless, I find Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring to be a fine film.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
jimmi

Post by jimmi »

JoaoRodrigues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:08 pm I've heard somewhere, vaguely, I think on a Alan Watts lecture, long time ago, that zen monks, or, anyone who practices zen, have a guideline (possibly not the right word) on how to sleep, or, their sleeping position, don't know.

I've noticed that similarity, possibly a simple coincidence, on two distinct films.

Any information on that? Obliged.
Sustaining the alert, courageous curiosity that characterizes the zen intent of the wakeful time through into the sleeping time. Similarly, from life into death.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

You mean the sleeping lion posture? It's common to all traditions. https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/li ... re/14360/6
Tao

Post by Tao »

Lion posture is sleeping on the right side of your body, recommended for dream yoga, but the pictures of zen masters in the first post are not in the lion posture.
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

Tao wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:14 am Lion posture is sleeping on the right side of your body, recommended for dream yoga, but the pictures of zen masters in the first post are not in the lion posture.
These are stills from movies, not documentaries.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

'While sleeping, lie on your right side, not [on your back] facing straight upward, because this is called the dead man’s sleep. Sleeping [with your face down] is called indulgent sleep because it creates bad dreams.'
(The Baizhang Zen Monastic Regulations, BDK ed, p 280)

'When sleeping, the monk should lie on his right-hand side with his head on his right palm and with his left hand placed on his left hip as though carrying a knife.'
(Chanyuan qinggui, in The Origins of Buddhist Monastic Codes in China by Yifa, p 139)

'Definitely sleep lying on your right side and not on your left side. When you lie down your head should be towards buddha. Now [in the monks' hall] our heads are toward the joen, so our heads are toward Manjushri. Do not sleep lying on your front. Do not raise both knees and lie on your back. Do not sleep on your back with your legs crossed. Do not stretch out your legs together.'
(Dogen's Pure Standards for the Zen Community, p 65)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Zen”