Are Zen teachers awakened?

reiun

Re: Are Zen teachers awakened?

Post by reiun »

"But, this minimizing of kensho was also the general stance within the Soto line. Huston Smith tells of visiting the renowned Shunryu Suzuki Roshi, how, “When, four months before his death, I had the opportunity to ask him why satori didn’t figure in his book, his wife leaned toward me and whispered impishly, ‘It’s because he hasn’t had it’; whereupon the Roshi batted his fan at her in mock consternation and with finger to his lips hissed, ‘Shhhh! Don’t tell him!’ When our laughter had subsided, he said simply, ‘It’s not that satori is unimportant, but it’s not the part of Zen that needs to be stressed.’”

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/monkeymin ... s-zen.html

"Mu!"
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Being a zen teacher doesn't make one a zen master.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Aemilius wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:03 pm
unborn wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:01 pm
Fortunately i have the opportunity to practice with an awakened rinzai zen teacher.
And how do you actually know your teacher is awakened? What is the sign or mark of that awakening?
Your own Buddha-nature sees or understands
So Buddhanature is a separate cognitive faculty apart from the mind?
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:48 am
Aemilius wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:56 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:03 pm

And how do you actually know your teacher is awakened? What is the sign or mark of that awakening?
Your own Buddha-nature sees or understands
So Buddhanature is a separate cognitive faculty apart from the mind?
Definitely not. You would understand what it means if you wanted to.
I can't remember who has said it, but the idea is from someone or somewhere.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
unborn

Post by unborn »

clyde wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:38 pm
unborn wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:01 pm Fortunately i have the opportunity to practice with an awakened rinzai zen teacher.
I congratulate you on having an awakened Zen teacher. You mention his sect (Rinzai), but not his name?
The lineage of Zenkei Shibayama - Keido Fukushima - Yudo Harada (training master at Tofuku-ji) and Jeff Shore (lay dharma heir who trained in Japan under Fukushima since 1982 until 2007).
Last edited by unborn on Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I'd like to grant this thread it's earned pause. Off topic posts were split into a new thread: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 81#p570281

Return to “Zen”