Shikoku Pilgrimage Visual Essay

GDPR_Anonymized001

Shikoku Pilgrimage Visual Essay

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

I enjoyed this visual essay on the Shikoku Pilgrimage. The imagery and poetry are quite nice. The factual mistakes don't detract that much from the visual experience. Best viewed on a larger screen with sound.

https://emergencemagazine.org/story/shi ... grimage/#/
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Shikoku Pilgrimage Visual Essay

Post by Queequeg »

Thanks for posting this.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:53 am Thanks for posting this.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Not sure this sub-forum gets many visitors but has anyone here completed all or some of the Shikoku pilgrimage? Or perhaps visited a Shingon temple? What was the experience like for you?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

jake wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:01 am
Queequeg wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:53 am Thanks for posting this.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Not sure this sub-forum gets many visitors but has anyone here completed all or some of the Shikoku pilgrimage? Or perhaps visited a Shingon temple? What was the experience like for you?
Have not been to Shikoku. In an other life before we were married and living in Japan, my wife and I went on a bicycle tour - our planned itinerary was a few days in Kyoto, a few days in Nara, then up to Koya-san, and then to Wakayama where we would take the ferry to Shikoku and ride around the island a few more days. The ride from Koya-san to Wakayama knocked us out. 80+km, up and down mountains. We cried uncle, took a train to Osaka, and spent the rest of our vacation eating and drinking there.

Someday I'll do the pilgrimage by foot. It takes about three months, so, it'll be a while until I have that kind of time.

A few years later, my wife had a research grant and we did a good chunk of the Saikoku pilgrimage route by car. For those not familiar, its another major pilgrimage route that goes around the Kinki peninsula and up to Osaka and Kyoto. This pilgrimage is centered on Kannon so it takes you to a series of temples where Kannon is the honzon. This route includes temples Tendai and Shingon temples. One of the most memorable was Hase Dera in Nara. Its the head temple of the Buzan Shingon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hase-dera When we arrived there was a memorial service going on so while we toured the hall, it was filled with chanting.

Pilgrimage is one of my favorite practices, ever since I was a kid visiting temples with my grandmother.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Wow that was awsome. Thank you for posting it
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Nice essay.

Return to “Shingon”