The Daigo-ha branch of Shingon Buddhism

FiveSkandhas

The Daigo-ha branch of Shingon Buddhism

Post by FiveSkandhas »

This branch of Shingon is associated with Daigoji temple in Kyoto. I am curious if anyone has a connection with it or has any practice experience.

I am particularly interested in their doxological schema involving the concept of "ghee" (醍醐 or daigo in Japanese).

There is also a "new religion" called Shinyoen that considers itself an offshoot of Daigo-ha Shingon, but I am less interested in them than I am in the traditional school's teachings/practice.

The traditional Daigo-ha seems to be in the midst of a massive, multidecade digitalization project involving a trove of their archived historical documents:

https://www.daigoji.or.jp/archives/
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Zhen Li

Re: The Daigo-ha branch of Shingon Buddhism

Post by Zhen Li »

I’ve visited there many times, and it seems that there aren’t any major differences with other Shingon sects, but please feel free to correct me. There are so many independent sects but it’s largely an administrative independence and doesn’t seem to have much to do with practice. Shinyoen differs from Shingon and I don’t think there’s any current connection with Daigoji other than lineage.

Daigo is a common term in Japanese just meeting “the best” of something, and having spoken to many people about it, no one is aware of the Buddhist and Indic origins of the term except monks.
Vert

Re: The Daigo-ha branch of Shingon Buddhism

Post by Vert »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:11 pm This branch of Shingon is associated with Daigoji temple in Kyoto. I am curious if anyone has a connection with it or has any practice experience.

I am particularly interested in their doxological schema involving the concept of "ghee" (醍醐 or daigo in Japanese).

There is also a "new religion" called Shinyoen that considers itself an offshoot of Daigo-ha Shingon, but I am less interested in them than I am in the traditional school's teachings/practice.

The traditional Daigo-ha seems to be in the midst of a massive, multidecade digitalization project involving a trove of their archived historical documents:

https://www.daigoji.or.jp/archives/
Shinnoy-en was founded by a Daigo monk and is more or less the lay wing of the school, they often do rituals and cerimonies together and the leadership of the movement has to undergone Daigo training but as a lay order they are more focus on the Nirvana Sutra no so much on the esoteric sutras of Shingon

Return to “Shingon”