Tendai Monasteries for Westerners?

James84

Tendai Monasteries for Westerners?

Post by James84 »

Are there any Tendai monasteries where someone can live, practice and study full time as a westerner? I know there are a few centers in the states that ordain people as priests, but they do not seem to have the opportunity to live and practice their full time.
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Tendai Monasteries for Westerners?

Post by Seishin »

In short; no. The only western monestary, which was situated in California, burned down some years ago now. It is now under new leadership, and I think they are planning on rebuilding, but not sure where they are with things. You can find out more info here https://www.caltendai.org/about
James84

Post by James84 »

Seishin wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:03 am In short; no. The only western monestary, which was situated in California, burned down some years ago now. It is now under new leadership, and I think they are planning on rebuilding, but not sure where they are with things. You can find out more info here https://www.caltendai.org/about
Thank you for the clarification. Are there options in Japan if someone wished to live/practice full time there? Or is this not a standard practice in Tendai anymore? Seems here that most priests are trained at local centers while continuing to live their normal lay lives.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

There are options, but it isn't so easy as just emailing them and requesting to stay. People often say that Japanese Buddhism doesn't have monasticism, but it isn't true, and also not so simple. Monasticism does occur, but most who are ordained are not monastic, and continue lay life along side temple life (priests, essentially). Most temples are family run (with some exceptions), and so most of those I know who have stayed at temples in Japan have stayed with families, with some exceptions of course. Tendai, like most Japanese Buddhism, does not use the Vinaya, but there are a few temples in which the priests live monastically, as well as particular positions which require celibicy.

However, from what I gather, one can't simply ask to stay (or just turn up). You'd need to have referals from your teacher.
florin

Post by florin »

You don’t need a monastery.

A master that understands primordial enlightenment would be better. There are very few on the planet, rest are charlatans.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

florin wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:20 pm You don’t need a monastery.

A master that understands primordial enlightenment would be better. There are very few on the planet, rest are charlatans.
:roll:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Tendai”