“Light up your Corner” (ichigū wo terasu) passage?

Javierfv1212

“Light up your Corner” (ichigū wo terasu) passage?

Post by Javierfv1212 »

According to Tendai.org, Saicho's Kenkairon is the source for this saying: "The line “Light up your Corner” 一隅を照らす (ichigū wo terasu), comes from this text, and in contemporary Tendai Buddhism is interpreted to mean that changing the world begins with sharing your unique gifts with the world, starting where you are. By lighting up your own corner of the world, you light up the whole world."

Does anyone have the actual passage that discusses this idea in English?

Thanks
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
FiveSkandhas

Re: “Light up your Corner” (ichigū wo terasu) passage?

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Supposedly an academic named Aaron Proffitt began translating the Kenkairon (顯戒論) into English for BDK a few years ago. I am not sure how that project is going but I don't think BDK has published it yet.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha

Return to “Tendai”