Tendai initiation

Kajmak383

Tendai initiation

Post by Kajmak383 »

Hello everybody,

I hope everything’s fine with you.
Who could explain me how Tendai initiations (both lay and monastic) are carried out? I’ve already seen the major Tendai websites about this topic, but they didn’t seem to be fully comprehensive. Does the seat temple Enryakuji have an official ritual for this purpose?

BTW, I’m not interested in converting at the moment, I only wanted to get information about it.

Thank you all and let’s pray for the victims of Coronavirus,

Kajmak
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Tendai initiation

Post by Queequeg »

You could ask Rev. Ryoei Tyler:

https://www.tendai-usa.org/contact
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

What sort of initiation are you thinking of? Are you taking about vows and becoming a disciple, or are you talking about empowerments?
Kajmak383

Post by Kajmak383 »

Seishin wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:57 am Are you taking about vows and becoming a disciple
That one. Sorry, I haven't been precise about it.

Kajmak
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

The ritual and etiquette for taking lay vows is down to the particular teacher/priest. The vows are, of course, standard. With taking ordination, there is a set process and ritual etiquette, but again each temple may have their own specific ritual. Typically a newly ordained student would take the 10 bodhisattva precepts.
Kajmak383

Post by Kajmak383 »

Seishin wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 pm The ritual and etiquette for taking lay vows is down to the particular teacher/priest. The vows are, of course, standard.
So, from what I understand: The ritual etiquette and gestures depends on the temple you attend. But the vows are the same in all Tendai temples. So,which are they? Taking refuge, the five precepts, bodhisattva precepts or something else?

Thanks for your reply,

Kajmak
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Yes, refuge, the 5 lay vows and the Bodhisattva Vows.
Kajmak383

Post by Kajmak383 »

Seishin wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:35 am Yes, refuge, the 5 lay vows and the Bodhisattva Vows.
I have another question. Do laypeople only take the 5 lay vows or they take the 10 Bodhisattva Vows too? And do you have to take them both or can you “choose” which you prefer?

Thank you very much, Seishin!

Kajmak
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Generally speaking lay people only take 5, although it's not impossible to take 10 as a lay person. But its usually only for your initial ordination as a priest.

And no, we don't pick and choose which vows to follow.
Kajmak383

Post by Kajmak383 »

Thank you very much for your explanation Seishin :anjali:

Kajmak

Return to “Tendai”