Ven Zhiyi Lotus Sūtra Commentary translation?

jikai

Re: Ven Zhiyi Lotus Sūtra Commentary translation?

Post by jikai »

Queequeg wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:07 pm
mansurhirbi87 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:54 pm Any news about the translations of Zhyi's commentaries on lotus Sutra ?

does anyone has it :
Chih-i (538-597) : the abstruse meaning of the Sūtra of the Lotus Flower of the fine dharma (Taishō vol.33, no.1716)
Author: Haiyan Shen Public defense : in 2004
Ph.D. dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Letters & Philosophy, Oriental Languages and Cultures
https://lib.ugent.be/catalog/rug01:002253063

in pdf or with another format ?
Have not heard anything. I haven't even heard any names connected with the translation. Swanson, I understand, is retired, so we can rule out the possibility that he will complete his partial translation.

I have Haiyan Shen's two volume text on the Fahuaxuani, a revised version of her dissertation. I've seen it on the internet as a pdf that Shen had published herself, but have not seen it in a while.

Dr Swanson is indeed retired- but this has allowed him to spend more time on his translation of the Fahua Xuanyi/ Hokke Gengi 法華玄義. He is still working his way through it, but is making quite good progress - now that he has formally retired. I have advised on sections pertaining to Zhiyi's use/ modification of Abhidharma concepts. It is still some way off completion, but is most certainly underway.

In regards to the Fahua Wenju/ Hokke Mongu 法華文句, I know of no scholars working on it. Nevertheless, I do know of a long term project to translate the Tripartite Lotus Sutra with accompanying Tiantai/Tendai commentary (which includes the Wenju/Mongu) This project is still in early days yet, but the Wenju/Mongu may come out of this.

Gassho,

Jikai
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

jikai wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:57 am
mansurhirbi87 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:54 pm Any news about the translations of Zhyi's commentaries on lotus Sutra ?

does anyone has it :
Chih-i (538-597) : the abstruse meaning of the Sūtra of the Lotus Flower of the fine dharma (Taishō vol.33, no.1716)
Ph.D. dissertation submitted to the Faculty of Letters & Philosophy, Oriental Languages and Cultures

Have not heard anything. I haven't even heard any names connected with the translation. Swanson, I understand, is retired, so we can rule out the possibility that he will complete his partial translation.

I have Haiyan Shen's two volume text on the Fahuaxuani, a revised version of her dissertation. I've seen it on the internet as a pdf that Shen had published herself, but have not seen it in a while.

Dr Swanson is indeed retired- but this has allowed him to spend more time on his translation of the Fahua Xuanyi/ Hokke Gengi 法華玄義. He is still working his way through it, but is making quite good progress - now that he has formally retired. I have advised on sections pertaining to Zhiyi's use/ modification of Abhidharma concepts. It is still some way off completion, but is most certainly underway.

In regards to the Fahua Wenju/ Hokke Mongu 法華文句, I know of no scholars working on it. Nevertheless, I do know of a long term project to translate the Tripartite Lotus Sutra with accompanying Tiantai/Tendai commentary (which includes the Wenju/Mongu) This project is still in early days yet, but the Wenju/Mongu may come out of this.

Gassho,

Jikai
Great to "see" you!

Thank you for that update! That is great news. Please tell Prof. Swanson there are at least a few people out here who will read his work! (hehe)
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Thanks for the info Jikai, glad to see his work is being continued.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
jikai

Post by jikai »

It is good to be around! It has been a very chaotic few years.

For what it's worth I too have always had a soft spot for the Fahua Wenju/ Hokke Mongu 法華文句. It is clearly the least 'polished' of the Three Great Texts, but it is also obvious that Zhiyi intended it to be studied first - and was written first in about 587(regardless of what has become common in the tradition since then).
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

jikai wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:57 am

does anyone has it :

Gassho,

Jikai
thank you, brother

Return to “Tendai”