May this clear our delusions

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Lucas Oliveira

May this clear our delusions

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: May this clear our delusions

Post by Queequeg »

eh. does the arising of confusion mean the clearing of delusion?

I prefer the tried and true:

Whatever is dependently co-arisen
That is explained to be emptiness
That, being a dependent designation
Is itself the middle way
MMK 24.18
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Does this graphic mean that if you look at nirvana from one angle, you understand dependent origination, but if you look at nirvana from another angle, you understand emptiness?
Sorry, it doesn’t make any sense to me although I’ve seen that basic picture before and have always thought it was a good visual example of how we see things differently depending on our perspective.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Moral of the story... don't get your Buddhism from reddit.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:12 pm Moral of the story... don't get your Buddhism from reddit.
But aren't we entitled to have everything explained to us in terms of simplistic analogies? Isn't that somewhere in the Bill of Rights?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:58 am
Queequeg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:12 pm Moral of the story... don't get your Buddhism from reddit.
But aren't we entitled to have everything explained to us in terms of simplistic analogies? Isn't that somewhere in the Bill of Rights?
Yes but it's even better. It's dharma vetted by upvotes!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:05 am
PeterC wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:58 am
Yes but it's even better. It's dharma vetted by upvotes!
This is exactly why we should never have a 'like' function on this site...
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Ah well, I rather liked it.
Tills ljuset tar oss

Post by Tills ljuset tar oss »

Looks like something out of a Douglas Hofstadter-book.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

*chuckles*
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Supramundane

Post by Supramundane »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:13 pm Does this graphic mean that if you look at nirvana from one angle, you understand dependent origination, but if you look at nirvana from another angle, you understand emptiness?
Sorry, it doesn’t make any sense to me although I’ve seen that basic picture before and have always thought it was a good visual example of how we see things differently depending on our perspective.
I have the same question. Is it just an optical illusion or is it trying to pictorially represent reality?

If I take a stab at it? Maybe the point is that it represents the two truths doctrine. Emptiness is ultimate truth, while dependent origination represents conventional truth. And if we look closely, we see that while Nirvana is a real object, the two truths are simply images with no intrinsic reality. Anyway, just a guess.

Return to “Media”