The Empty Man Tibetan Horror movie

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
microbuddha

The Empty Man Tibetan Horror movie

Post by microbuddha »

I had the opportunity to watch a movie the other night that has been getting some buzz on the internet recently and was wondering if anyone has watched it and want to weigh in on the Tibetan Buddhist theme.

A group of tourists travel to Bhutan in the 1996 to hike in the mountains. One of them ( Paul ) falls down a hole in a mountain and comes face to face with a skeleton. ( 4 arms, scary looking ) He immediately goes into a trance and when his friend comes to rescue him he says " Don't touch me or you will die " A few days later Paul, who is possessed, uses mind control to kill all his friends.

Twenty years later, a detective investigates the murder of numerous children. He finds a cult who worship Paul ( The empty man ) who is in a hospital bed in a trance. The emanation in him is directing the cult to create another healthy vessel so that it can more evil in the world.

It is a mind bending movie with the requisite surprise ending, so I won't give away too much.

Are there stories in Tibetan lore about evil emanations projecting themselves into others?
The movie hinges on the creation of a Tulpa to house this emanation.
Kurp

Re: The Empty Man Tibetan Horror movie

Post by Kurp »

Saw your post and decided to watch the movie.

Here is my review of the film in the form of emojis:

:jawdrop: :thinking: :?: :quoteunquote: :zzz: :oops: :?: :sage: :coffee: :?: :techproblem: :?: :?: :?: :roll:
Last edited by Kurp on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
microbuddha

Post by microbuddha »

That is pretty ingenious. :good: :cheers: :namaste: :buddha1:

Did you see the end coming?

Kind of like a sixth sense surprise.
Kurp

Post by Kurp »

microbuddha wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:34 am
Did you see the end coming?
The writer’s idea of what a tulpa is had me confused and bored for most of the film. I saw that the movie was based on a graphic novel. So I’m guessing whomever wrote the comic and the screenplay took a lot of liberties interpreting certain dharmic phenomenon. With that said, I was trying to figure out the actual plot and not so much concerned about the ending.

Return to “Media”