Korean Amitabha Dance

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Tenma

Korean Amitabha Dance

Post by Tenma »

For some reason, the concert (2020 서울시 전통춤 문화제 : 사색춤전) wasn't on YouTube anymore so here it is. Anyhow, the Amitabha dance starts at around 26:17 of the following video. Enjoy (alongside other traditional Korean funerary dances in this concert!):

If the Facebook link doesn't work as usual, just copy and paste the Korean name of the concert I have above me and click to the time!
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
jmlee369

Re: Korean Amitabha Dance

Post by jmlee369 »

Tenma wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:00 pm For some reason, the concert (2020 서울시 전통춤 문화제 : 사색춤전) wasn't on YouTube anymore so here it is. Anyhow, the Amitabha dance starts at around 26:17 of the following video. Enjoy (alongside other traditional Korean funerary dances in this concert!):

If the Facebook link doesn't work as usual, just copy and paste the Korean name of the concert I have above me and click to the time!
Despite the concert's name there is nothing traditional about the dance, it's a bit strange that it's included.

The chant however is a recitation of the 회심곡 (song to turn the heart around) by the famous chanting monk 월봉 (Weol-bong). The full version is available here. This chant is traditionally recited during memorial ceremonies and by monks on the streets to reach out and move the hearts of the common people. It covers the grave kindness of parents, suffering of impermanence and old age, the sufferings of death and the intermediate state, the terrors of the hells, then goes on to describe the beauty of Sukhavati, the qualities of Amitabha Buddha, and describes the various causes for birth there. It further goes on to exhort people to recite the Buddha's name and aspire to birth in Sukhavati. Again it teaches cause and effect, and exhorts people to repent and practice virtue. It concludes with other common prayers, such as Chan Master Huiran's aspiration prayer, common pure land prayers, etc.
Tenma

Re: Korean Amitabha Dance

Post by Tenma »

jmlee369 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:03 am
Tenma wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:00 pm For some reason, the concert (2020 서울시 전통춤 문화제 : 사색춤전) wasn't on YouTube anymore so here it is. Anyhow, the Amitabha dance starts at around 26:17 of the following video. Enjoy (alongside other traditional Korean funerary dances in this concert!):

Despite the concert's name there is nothing traditional about the dance, it's a bit strange that it's included.

The chant however is a recitation of the 회심곡 (song to turn the heart around) by the famous chanting monk 월봉 (Weol-bong). The full version is available here. This chant is traditionally recited during memorial ceremonies and by monks on the streets to reach out and move the hearts of the common people. It covers the grave kindness of parents, suffering of impermanence and old age, the sufferings of death and the intermediate state, the terrors of the hells, then goes on to describe the beauty of Sukhavati, the qualities of Amitabha Buddha, and describes the various causes for birth there. It further goes on to exhort people to recite the Buddha's name and aspire to birth in Sukhavati. Again it teaches cause and effect, and exhorts people to repent and practice virtue. It concludes with other common prayers, such as Chan Master Huiran's aspiration prayer, common pure land prayers, etc.
I think for the “sake of the arts,” they were trying to have a theme of death and funerary stuff. I should’ve reworded myself that this and some of the dances were contemporary rather than traditional (a few are traditional here though).

Thanks for the explanation on the chant! Although I speak Korean at my household, I’m horrid at it and could barely understand a word of it until it got to “Namu Amidabul”
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Return to “Media”