Doco - Hannah: Buddhism's Untold Journey

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Doco - Hannah: Buddhism's Untold Journey

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Trailer https://filmsforchange.stream/programs/ ... ld-journey
Hannah: Buddhism's Untold Journey tells the story of Hannah Nydahl and her adventure bringing Tibetan Buddhism to the West.

From her wild and idealistic roots as a hippy in Copenhagen, the film follows Hannah and her husband Ole to the hedonistic city of Kathmandu, where, in 1968 they became two of the first Western students of His Holiness the 16th Karmapa – the first consciously reincarnated lama of Tibet, and the man who would change their lives forever.

At the heart of the film lies the unique and inspiring love story of Hannah and Ole and their unwavering dedication to bring Buddhism to the West. From Europe and North America, through the fall of communism in Eastern Europe and Russia, to being kidnapped by guerrillas in South America, the film portrays the path of a great woman at the forefront of a turbulent, ever-changing world.
...and that's all I know about it. Has anyone here seen it?

:popcorn:
Kim
Giovanni

Re: Doco - Hannah: Buddhism's Untold Journey

Post by Giovanni »

No, but I know quite a lot about Ole and Hannah…
They are the founders of the Diamond Way Sangha which is very controversial.
Hannah sadly died young of cancer.
Last edited by Giovanni on Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I think it is also available for free on Amazon Prime video.
This is not the wrong life.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

It's not a bad documentary, but I would take it with a grain of salt. As was said Diamond way buddhism is a very controversial sangha and the documentary paints Hannah as a sort of saint which she might have been I don't know. Just... I don't always believe the narrative that Ole Nydahl peddles. But it was nice to watch. I mean whether we like them or not they played a huge role in the transmission of Karma Kagyu teachings into the west. But their version of history makes them look probably a bit more important than they actually were/are.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

:good:
My thoughts on it as well.
This is not the wrong life.

Return to “Media”