Buddhist Rock & Metal

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Buddhist Rock & Metal

Post by Astus »

Temple Temple Temple (てら・テラ・寺) - Japanese Buddhist rock song by The Namuzu / THE 南無ズ, a "Buddhist entertainment group" consisting of a monk, a funeral director, a Buddhist komuso, and a kimono girl. The theme is comedy, music, and Buddhism.
The band's YouTube channel and homepage.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
denise

Post by denise »

thank you for that....am still smiling....
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

They are pretty good :)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 am
PeterC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:20 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 pm To be fair though, plenty of overtly Buddhist pop music is, to my ears, more offensive than this stuff. Sugary sweet mantra recitation, etc. tastes vary widely.
I feel very conflicted with that stuff. I think it sounds horrible. But there are people who really enjoy it and find it meaningful and beautiful. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Well I mean, everyone has different tastes, it's just terrible to my ears. I also listen to and make stuff that most people don't even consider music, so it's not like my preferences are some kind of standard.
But they are! Go right ahead and set your own standards, because they are the only standards which matter.
:jedi:
You might not find many people who share them, but that's a completely different thing.

:namaste:
Kim
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:10 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 am
PeterC wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:20 am

I feel very conflicted with that stuff. I think it sounds horrible. But there are people who really enjoy it and find it meaningful and beautiful. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Well I mean, everyone has different tastes, it's just terrible to my ears. I also listen to and make stuff that most people don't even consider music, so it's not like my preferences are some kind of standard.
But they are! Go right ahead and set your own standards, because they are the only standards which matter.
:jedi:
You might not find many people who share them, but that's a completely different thing.

:namaste:
Kim
There is actually a pretty hard core community for the kind of stuff I like, it started in the 90s through tape trading networks. Not popular stuff at all but people into it tend to be very dedicated, as people often are with underground music scenes. I just know from experience that most people are like “huh, that just sounds like a dishwasher”, which to me is not a negative comment.

Anyway, I still recommend if people are interested in Buddhist Metal they check out Yamamtaka Sonic Titan.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
reiun

Post by reiun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:58 am Anyway, I still recommend if people are interested in Buddhist Metal they check out Yamamtaka Sonic Titan.
Thanks for the referral. As a one-time classical guitar teacher and lead rock guitarist for the Luv'd Ones (Louie louie, etc), always like to check out new music. That said: pretentious, unimaginative, sucks a-- and swallows. But hey, just imo
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

reiun wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:29 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:58 am Anyway, I still recommend if people are interested in Buddhist Metal they check out Yamamtaka Sonic Titan.
Thanks for the referral. As a one-time classical guitar teacher and lead rock guitarist for the Luv'd Ones (Louie louie, etc), always like to check out new music. That said: pretentious, unimaginative, sucks a-- and swallows. But hey, just imo
Cool credentials drop :roll: they surely make you the expert on experimental Buddhist metal with anachronistic Asian themes.

I looked up Luv'd Ones and had much the same reaction you had to this, evidently. More just crushingly boring and irrelevant to me than pretentious though.

Anyway, of course it is not for everyone, and people have different tastes.

Generally I find all metal to be pretentious, hell, most music.

It's one of the things that makes me prefer traditional music (as in actual "world music" - Nonesuch Explorer series, Secret Museum of Mankind, Angel Records etc.) and artsy abstract instrumental music. Generally it just is what it is, and isn't trying so hard to be something the way popular genres usually are.

I think the 60's was the only time where some (not that much, seems like there was still a lot of crap) popular music which was genuinely inventive broke through, mostly it's all pretty bleh, so to me a criticism like that against any kind of genre music is redundant, it's unavoidably pretentious by definition.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
reiun

Post by reiun »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:27 am
Cool credentials drop :roll: they surely make you the expert on experimental Buddhist metal with anachronistic Asian themes.
Thanks, lol! But, you missed: 'imo'
I looked up Luv'd Ones and had much the same reaction you had to this, evidently. More just crushingly boring and irrelevant to me than pretentious though.
My Luv'd Ones was an HS/college male quartet, early 60's, pre-dating the all-girl group you found. Flattered the name was picked up later. So, yes. irrelevant as you say, although unknowingly.
I think the 60's was the only time where some (not that much, seems like there was still a lot of crap) popular music which was genuinely inventive broke through, mostly it's all pretty bleh, so to me a criticism like that against any kind of genre music is redundant, it's unavoidably pretentious by definition.
not that much popular music which was genuinely inventive broke through, mostly it's all pretty bleh

Yeah, like at Woodstock, Monterey Pop, etc. . . . The Who, CSNY, Grateful Dead, Joan Baez, Ravi Shankar, Richie Havens, Janis, Otis, The Byrds, Hugh Masekela, S&G, Mamas and the Papas, Paul Butterfield . . .

Two words: Jimi Hendrix

Return to “Media”