NFT madness

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
tkp67

Re: NFT madness

Post by tkp67 »

jake wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:46 am
tkp67 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pm
jake wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:13 pmAh, here is the common refrain, we're too academic or too conditioned, our minds are not open enough to fully grasp the nuance and complexity. Hear this from you a lot.
Not sure what point you are trying to make by talking of the "opportunity cost of salaries" (mixing two thing here, btw) that we are wasting trying to force you to our perspective. What are you trying to say? that we are somehow wasting money talking to you?
Jake it is simple.
I am discussing the cause and effect behind such hype. Not a discourse on best practices, return on investment or the short sighted aspects of such a movement. The totality of that discussion is beyond the scope of this thread. However that type of commentary serves no benefit that I can tell. If it does I would be greatly indebted to be enlightened to the reasoning.
tkp67, I appreciate that is what you think you are doing but, as has been repeatedly mentioned, it is not how most people understand your writing, at all. You have a very unique vocabulary that is almost indecipherable at times.
Jake you could simply ask for clarity. The negative critique of unique vocabulary is nothing more than inappropriate ad hominine attack against my character. The expectation that there should be an acceptable cultural vocabulary in this regard is the subtle conditioning I speak of. Lest not forget that as someone who has been vocal about learning disabilities which are recognized as a disability. You are expecting me to match the performance of those without the same impediment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_homine ... _authority

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Grah ... sagreement

Graham's hierarchy of disagreement

Now I am confident that there is no active bias against disabilities here which is why I have so gently asserting myself. I understand it too well to take it personal but that doesn’t mean it is reasonable to accept at face value either. However it does illustrate how pervasive academic conditioning is.
Please keep in mind if I lacked the ability to properly adhere to form in a meaningful way I wouldn’t be able to work with technology let alone decision makers. Please don’t mistake my perceived functional capacities as meaning my learning disabilities are a matter of volition. It is not uncommon which is why I mention it.
jake wrote: As a reader, many times what you post makes no sense or seems to have no obvious connection to what anyone else is discussing. I am sure in your mind there is a connection but you frequently neglect to explain, in clear language for a reader, how you traveled from A to B to π^2.
Jake I understand this and will gladly plead guilty as charged If it is helpful. However, an issue still remains. When I am too verbose it is also problematic. If I use the wrong words it is also problematic. I have made several adjustments according to this or that. They seem to fall apart mostly in differences of opinion. I can report outside of that there is little complaint.
jake wrote:For example, you say you are simply discussing the cause and effect behind such hype. Which hype, exactly? The NFT madness? Okay but you have never written clearly which specific factors you consider to be "cause" and which you categorize as "effect" nor how they are linked (effects result from causes, there is a relationship there). For example, how does your claim that bitcoin solves grid unreliability factor into either a cause or an effect of the hype linked to NFT? Or what on earth does IBM's announcement they're working with India on cloud computing have to do with any of the issues mentioned by others? Is this a cause of hype? We are frequently left to guess. Perhaps the IBM press release is somehow related to posters' comments about security of data entrusted to strangers? I don't know.
These are reasonable questions. I have reasonable answers. It will take up a fair amount of white space. Let me summarize and share with you my reasoning. It includes a number of variables still so please try to keep them all in relative perspective.

The assessment of technology is done within a scope. The scope of my assessment is the industry as it exists in all parts across the globe. Technology does not possess the same inherent traditional boundaries of brick and mortal business. The scope also includes industrial/commercial, consumer and government sectors.

The various references do not necessarily correlate directly. Some do, some don’t. However these interactions need not be understood finitely in assessment of the aggregate here. That is to say trends across the whole of the industry and those affected by it can be understood through the “big data” represented in this model. It may seem frenetic but I mention consumer, industrial and government interests in the block chain and how the tech companies can engineer this interplay to their advantage.

Some of this is easy to evaluate. For example if one were to search cisco + blockchain it would give yield something on cisco’s outlook. If this is done across several companies like IBM, Microsoft, etc there are substantial outlooks and investments. Same goes with government entities. The size of the emerging blockchain market based on current investments make a case in and of itself regarding the future of blockchain.

The social engineering aspect is a far more nuanced discussion. Not all of it need be intentional. However the dynamic of technology creating its own space through disruption is not a new discussion. I don't mind unpacking it since it is relevant but perhaps in a separate post?
Communication is a two-way street. Many people here have made great effort to understand you and give you time. At some point you have to make more effort on your own side to communicate in a way that makes sense to other people. The reasons for our lack of understanding can't always just be because of our inferior minds. At a certain point you need to wonder if there is too much "packet loss" in your messaging.
I called your minds inferior? I don’t recall ever disparaging anyone. I recall pointing out conditioning. I called projecting provision in light of the absolute exactly that.

I did make clear very many times the excellent minds here. From an academic standpoint they are far superior then mine. I don’t have the same capacities. If they were inferior then they could not perform so well in an academic manner. So under the light of simple logic the conclusion is forlorn.

What happens here is conditioning. It exists against descriptive terms that do not conform to the established normative. It isn’t always stark or sharp but it exists. Not that I am offering a negative critique here. It is how subtle conditioning works so I can’t reason why speaking about it shouldn’t cause emotional distress.
jake wrote:
tkp67 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pm The minute dialog starts the become personal MANNNN expect me to call it out for what it is. Notice I don't challenge a specific provision (individual egocentric perspective) because it is valid as such. Just not in context to the the phenomenon as an aggregate.
See, again, I'm sure this makes total sense to you but what personal dialogue? What is a "provision?" What "phenomenon" are you talking about? What on earth do you mean by "aggregate"? Have you considered just because you perceive some dialogue to be personal that doesn't mean it was intended as such or that anyone else understands it to be "personal?"
I explained aggregate earlier in part to address this. Provision is another way to express relative perspective.

In this scenario individual egocentric perspective means expressing one's own individual professional understanding as a complete measurement. For example measuring the craze for NFT from any one industry perspective does not include consumer influences.

Professional expertise alone as a consultant, energy regulator, lawyer or Tibetan teacher is insubstantial. This is the same problem that plagued climate scientists. When they addressed it the outcome was completely different. They actually stopped relying on their own personal ideology and queried the body of related scientist for conclusive cross-discipline data.

The notion of looking at multiple indices regarding social phenomenon is sound practice.
jake wrote:
tkp67 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pmEven more ironic that there is a seeming unspoken near consensus in this thread that most virtuous technologies win by proxy. Is that to say companies like Facebook and twitter are pinnacles of human development?
Who on earth has made this argument? Please quote the text you have read in this thread that allows you to draw this conclusion?
I realize that this post borders on meta-discussion which is not allowed per TOS but I feel it is a necessary step to fully understand your contributions to this topic so the discussion may continue.
As an example the following statements deny the influence of market drivers that do not align with individual reason. Yet they do not refute the actual reality of what the industry providers are doing or the points I established. So one must assume they rely on the converse. Tech survives based on fitness.

“Blockchain is not particularly innovative. It is useful for some kinds of data storage, and not useful for other kinds of data storage, where one is better off using relational databases that use SQL.”

“A relational database is as secure as the network it is set up on and the servers in which it sits. It is generally much superior to a blockchain database in terms data integrity (aka normalization), speed, and so on, when working with multiple data points in a complex environment. Its performance can suffer if encryption is required on tables in the database itself. But encryption load can also be downside of blockchain databases.”

“When blockchain can keep thermal plants from downrating due to extreme heat or cold, or figure out how to install utility-scale storage nationwide at a reasonable cost, or put in a bunch of transmission lines, then I'll be really interested. Until then, it might have some niche applications, but to assert that "blockchain offers solutions to all the things [he] mentions" is either hucksterism or delusion.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tkp67 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:23 pm As an example the following statements deny the influence of market drivers that do not align with individual reason. Yet they do not refute the actual reality of what the industry providers are doing or the points I established. So one must assume they rely on the converse. Tech survives based on fitness.
Technology survives based on what business processes it assists. That's it.

Sometimes people invent technologies, and then try to fit them into a business process. For example, "hypertext" was supposed to revolutionize learning. It never went anywhere.

The internet has not actually gone beyond a markup language originally designed for laying out books, packet switching, and an operating system that is 51 years old (Unix).
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm
tkp67 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:23 pm As an example the following statements deny the influence of market drivers that do not align with individual reason. Yet they do not refute the actual reality of what the industry providers are doing or the points I established. So one must assume they rely on the converse. Tech survives based on fitness.
Technology survives based on what business processes it assists. That's it.

Sometimes people invent technologies, and then try to fit them into a business process. For example, "hypertext" was supposed to revolutionize learning. It never went anywhere.

The internet has not actually gone beyond a markup language originally designed for laying out books, packet switching, and an operating system that is 51 years old (Unix).
Those processes are in and of themselves compounded phenomenon. What drives them are subjective to desires which are in themselves expressed based on variables such as capacity, conditions and causes.

Also technically what you are saying is if a houses foundation was made out of concrete 50 years ago houses today built on concrete are using 50 year old building code by proxy. Are you really saying that technology above the network layer hasn't evolved? Wouldn't the network layer have to be 10baseT still according to your convention? Doesn't the notion violate that wonderful law of impermanence as well?

Technically speaking based on the verbosity of data that can be stored in a key alone the lack of robust data stores are non consequential. This is outside of any specific capacities of a given project.

Such as:

https://www.wired.com/story/microsoft-d ... lockchain/
At its Ignite conference today, Microsoft announced that it will launch a public preview of its “Azure Active Directory verifiable credentials” this spring. Think of the platform as a digital wallet like Apple Pay or Google Pay, but for identifiers rather than credit cards. Microsoft is starting with things like university transcripts, diplomas, and professional credentials, letting you add them to its Microsoft Authenticator app along with two-factor codes. It's already testing the platform at Keio University in Tokyo, with the government of Flanders in Belgium, and with the United Kingdom's National Health Service.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tkp67 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 pm
Those processes are in and of themselves compounded phenomenon.
Since there no other kind of phenomena...
What drives them are subjective to desires which are in themselves expressed based on variables such as capacity, conditions and causes.
Tautology, i.e., anything compounded arises from causes and conditions.

Also technically what you are saying is if a houses foundation was made out of concrete 50 years ago houses today built on concrete are using 50 year old building code by proxy. Are you really saying that technology above the network layer hasn't evolved?
Essentially, it hasn't. Presentation layer is prettier, etc. But at base, it is all based on tech from the sixties and early 70's—tech that was developed in order to solve very specific problems.
Wouldn't the network layer have to be 10baseT still according to your convention? Doesn't the notion violate that wonderful law of impermanence as well?
I have fiber. But fiber optic technology is also 50 years old.
Technically speaking based on the verbosity of data that can be stored in a key alone...
"Verbosity" is not an adjective that can describe data. Perhaps you mean "volume."
...the lack of robust data stores are non consequential.
This clause in your sentence does not make any sense. What are you attempting to say? It looks like you are saying "the absence of robust data stores are of no consequence."
This is outside of any specific capacities of a given project.
What is "this"?
Such as:

At its Ignite conference today, Microsoft announced that it will launch a public preview of its “Azure Active Directory verifiable credentials” this spring. Think of the platform as a digital wallet like Apple Pay or Google Pay, but for identifiers rather than credit cards. Microsoft is starting with things like university transcripts, diplomas, and professional credentials, letting you add them to its Microsoft Authenticator app along with two-factor codes. It's already testing the platform at Keio University in Tokyo, with the government of Flanders in Belgium, and with the United Kingdom's National Health Service.
This application of blockchain adds no value whatsoever, it's a solution in search of a problem.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:02 pm
tkp67 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:18 pm
Those processes are in and of themselves compounded phenomenon.
Since there no other kind of phenomena...
What drives them are subjective to desires which are in themselves expressed based on variables such as capacity, conditions and causes.
Tautology, i.e., anything compounded arises from causes and conditions.
Feels like a nice little walk on the beach so far. Let me paint a happy little tree right by the stream here.

Also technically what you are saying is if a houses foundation was made out of concrete 50 years ago houses today built on concrete are using 50 year old building code by proxy. Are you really saying that technology above the network layer hasn't evolved?
Essentially, it hasn't. Presentation layer is prettier, etc. But at base, it is all based on tech from the sixties and early 70's—tech that was developed in order to solve very specific problems.
Netflix would not have been able to offer streaming services and zoom would not be functioning now if the capacity didn't expand exponentially. Measured in dollars and cents you are talking minimum tens of trillions of dollars of commerce that never would have appeared if the technology was static. Imagine a house 50 years ago without the same electrical code including ground fault circuits being considered the same.

I understand the essence being the same. Essence however is a distillation of reality that makes it easy for minds to share simple concepts. This doesn't scale in regards to calculating ROI, planning business futures or a myriad of other complexities that compose reality past its essence.
Wouldn't the network layer have to be 10baseT still according to your convention? Doesn't the notion violate that wonderful law of impermanence as well?
I have fiber. But fiber optic technology is also 50 years old.
I am over 50. I eat fiber because I am old technology.
Technically speaking based on the verbosity of data that can be stored in a key alone...
"Verbosity" is not an adjective that can describe data. Perhaps you mean "volume."
I think it has been established that this one is special because it goes to 11. In all seriousness scalability is quickly being overcome.
...the lack of robust data stores are non consequential.
This clause in your sentence does not make any sense. What are you attempting to say? It looks like you are saying "the absence of robust data stores are of no consequence."
Your argument regarding SQL isn't valid.
This is outside of any specific capacities of a given project.
What is "this"?
Points in the counter argument against the limits of blockchain. When I have contemporaries in the industry there isn't this constant comprehensive disconnect. Only with decision makes who have a rudimentary understanding of technology. Just FYI. I don't mind playing along though. I have the patience of a st.
Such as:

This application of blockchain adds no value whatsoever, it's a solution in search of a problem.
No it actually integrates the Microsoft server platform (which hosts SQL) on top of that pesky antiquated network layer. It also puts the pesky control/management issue back in the hands of the administrator.

:anjali:

Can we get back on topic?

BTW did I mentioned my dad and step mom were teachers right? :heart:
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:20 am
No it actually integrates the Microsoft server platform (which hosts SQL) on top of that pesky antiquated network layer. It also puts the pesky control/management issue back in the hands of the administrator.

Dude I've been managing networks and servers (including SQL, on Microsoft OS's and others) and writing software for them since before Microsoft had a database. Administration was never and still isn't outside the hands of the dba (or whatever the administrator function is for the software in question), and blockchain has nothing to do with it. Back in the day it was IPX/SPX, now its TCP. Scaling in the sense you are talking about is generally vm's or clusters- still nothing to do with blockchain.

Sure, blockchain scales, but so do vm's and management techniques. What blockchain algorithms is/are in use in Windows from a management perspective? The closest I could guess would be crypto for comsec between system elements but thats not blockchain. Algorithmically you could view compression as "sort-of" blockchain but that seems a stretch, and certainly not what the contemporary hype is about.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Points in the counter argument against the limits of blockchain. When I have contemporaries in the industry there isn't this constant comprehensive disconnect.
Everybody in tech is in sales, unless one is a grunt.

That’s not what the article specified.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:33 pm

Dude I've been managing networks and servers (including SQL, on Microsoft OS's and others) and writing software for them since before Microsoft had a database. Administration was never and still isn't outside the hands of the dba (or whatever the administrator function is for the software in question), and blockchain has nothing to do with it. Back in the day it was IPX/SPX, now its TCP. Scaling in the sense you are talking about is generally vm's or clusters- still nothing to do with blockchain.

Sure, blockchain scales, but so do vm's and management techniques. What blockchain algorithms is/are in use in Windows from a management perspective? The closest I could guess would be crypto for comsec between system elements but thats not blockchain. Algorithmically you could view compression as "sort-of" blockchain but that seems a stretch, and certainly not what the contemporary hype is about.
Great I remember pc-mos and dbase too. I don't recall knowing you back then. The blockchain management and integration is done within active directory on server level. Have you bothered to see what the vendors your profession relies on have decided the future will look like? Or do you call the shots for AWS? Perhaps we can engage in a productive and relevant dialog and according to something less subjective then defending unproductive arguments. Apparently reading anything I post as a reference is declined by proxy. Below is the a product of Harvard PHd.

Now perhaps you can go to my posts and tally up the industry involvement as I suggested and dispute the IT industry creating space for blockchain as it decides to integrate it based on their current capital investment.

Perhaps you can explain why 1.5 trillion in market cap with major tech backers including Steve Wozniak is pure folly and is meaningless in regards to blockchain integration. Perhaps you can contribute a reasonable opinion on tech bootstrapping new market development through "open" new market development such as we are seeing now in the coin space. Perhaps you can tell me how mores law was not realized on the internet across the network and hardware layers over the past 40 years as you and Namdrol profess. Perhaps you can calculate the IT ecosystem as it would appear if technology hadn't evolved at all so we can have a measurable differential. This at least can lend to substantiating claims.

I can add more questions distilled directly from my posts that went unanswered that are relevant to the OP. Instead it is this constant attack on my personage.

Why? Because to actually answer those questions reasonably betrays the very ground the positions made here are based upon.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:15 pm
Points in the counter argument against the limits of blockchain. When I have contemporaries in the industry there isn't this constant comprehensive disconnect.
Everybody in tech is in sales, unless one is a grunt.
Interesting since most tech decision makers I traditionally know can program in assembler as if it is a higher level language and also consult, manage projects, develop business plans, market product, develop business relationships, create supply chains and the list goes on.

I don't know too many people that conform to the pesky duality the mind likes to project.
Yes it does.
Microsoft formally started its work on a decentralized identity scheme in 2017 and has slowly built out the infrastructure over the past few years. The system is based on the Bitcoin blockchain and uses an open protocol called Sidetree to add records of transactions—in this case, identity verifications—to the blockchain. Microsoft says Azure Active Directory verifiable credentials uses a custom but still open source implementation of Sidetree called Identity Overlay Network. Organizations will be able to run their own ION “node” to verify and store identifiers for their members, like citizens, students, or employees.

"We know it’s not going to happen overnight, but we think this is going to be compelling to both users and organizations," Microsoft's Chik says. “It’s not like every organization wants to be the custodian of personal information, but they need it to verify information or do business transactions. It becomes a liability and responsibility, but this would be an appealing option to organizations that just need the data to be verified."
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 pm
I can add more questions distilled directly from my posts that went unanswered that are relevant to the OP. Instead it is this constant attack on my personage.

Why? Because to actually answer those questions reasonably betrays the very ground the positions made here are based upon.

tk, I really have no involvement with your personage. However you keep saying incomprehensible things, perhaps you mean something entirely different than what you type.

Distributed/decentralized cryptographically signed chains of data? That isn't particularly new... Its like saying new fancy carbon fiber wheels will revolutionalize cars. Sure, that and lots of $ will make some fancy wheels and some vehicles will go faster.. but the rest of the world goes on rolling with their plain old stamped steel wheels.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 pm
tkp67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 pm

tk, I really have no interest in your personage. However you keep saying incomprehensible things, perhaps you mean something entirely different than what you type.

Distributed/decentralized cryptographically signed chains of data? That isn't particularly new... Its like saying new fancy carbon fiber wheels will revolutionalize cars. Sure, that and lots of $ will make some fancy wheels and some vehicles will go faster.. but the rest of the world goes on rolling with their plain old stamped steel wheels.
Your understand me well enough to illustrate that there is no definitive point you are making and if you had no interest in my personage and thought what I said was truly incomprehensible you would have no basis to comment.

Intellectually brow beating is always clearly displayed for what it is. It is the type of behavior that becomes cancerous to a buddhist community. I have been kind enough to tolerate it.However the debt I have chosen to pay back is exposing it and eliminating it. Since my commitment to it and the lotus are inseparable it might be reasonable to take a deep breath and really consider what the purpose of your emotion here and now is really all about.

Incomprehensible?

lol :anjali:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:31 pm
Interesting since most tech decision makers I traditionally know can program in assembler as if it is a higher level language and also consult, manage projects, develop business plans, market product, develop business relationships, create supply chains and the list goes on.

I don't know too many people that conform to the pesky duality the mind likes to project.
I have worked in fortune 500 companies. It really is not like that where the money is. "Decision makers" often can't even figure out email.

Yes it does.
Microsoft formally started its work on a decentralized identity scheme in 2017 and has slowly built out the infrastructure over the past few years. The system is based on the Bitcoin blockchain and uses an open protocol called Sidetree to add records of transactions—in this case, identity verifications—to the blockchain. Microsoft says Azure Active Directory verifiable credentials uses a custom but still open source implementation of Sidetree called Identity Overlay Network. Organizations will be able to run their own ION “node” to verify and store identifiers for their members, like citizens, students, or employees.
And how does this integrate "the Microsoft server platform (which hosts SQL) on top of that pesky antiquated network layer. It also puts the pesky control/management issue back in the hands of the administrator."

It adds no value at all, apart from assigning a id to a person. It certainly does not integrate "the Microsoft server platform (which hosts SQL) on top of that pesky antiquated network layer. It also puts the pesky control/management issue back in the hands of the administrator.
"We know it’s not going to happen overnight, but we think this is going to be compelling to both users and organizations," Microsoft's Chik says. “It’s not like every organization wants to be the custodian of personal information, but they need it to verify information or do business transactions. It becomes a liability and responsibility, but this would be an appealing option to organizations that just need the data to be verified."
As I said, a solution in search of a problem.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Your understand me well enough to illustrate that there is no definitive point you are making and if you had no interest in my personage and thought what I said was truly incomprehensible you would have no basis to comment.
Well, it is often the case that your posts are written in a way that make no sense in English. So I don't comment.

Intellectually brow beating is always clearly displayed for what it is. It is the type of behavior that becomes cancerous to a buddhist community. I have been kind enough to tolerate it.However the debt I have chosen to pay back is exposing it and eliminating it. Since my commitment to it and the lotus are inseparable it might be reasonable to take a deep breath and really consider what the purpose of your emotion here and now is really all about.
This is disingenuous. You want to communicate, but you do not take the time to communicate well or effectively. Instead you complain you are being brow-beaten. But frankly, it's your fault that your ideas are expressed in gibberish.

And then there are the exaggerations...
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

The topic seems to have run it's course. If you see any reason for adding something substantial, please ask a moderator to unlock the thread.

Return to “Media”