Wisdom Academy - Moved from Tibetan Forum

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Wisdom Academy - Moved from Tibetan Forum

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Moved this thread out of the Tibetan forum as the program appears to have a broader scope than just Tibetan Buddhism and may be of interest to others.
QQ

Anyone else get this email? 29.95 A month for, I guess, unlimited access to teachings from it looks like mostly Western teachers of Vajrayana such as Thurman, Wallace etc., even saw a Bonpo teacher in there..in concert with Wisdom publications.

If I'm reading it right it seems like an interesting model that we haven't seen yet in online teachings, flat monthly fee for a bunch of courses.

What do you think of this model?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Cinnabar

Re: Wisdom Academy

Post by Cinnabar »

I am considering joining it.

I'm engage in other on-line spiritual training. It seems like it could work.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Cinnabar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:11 pm I am considering joining it.

I'm engage in other on-line spiritual training. It seems like it could work.
It's not a bad idea tbh. I've done a few online courses I really got a lot out of, depending on the offerings, this could be astronomically cheaper. They also state it's a non profit that will be putting the money back into maintaining teachings.

-Khunu Lama
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I haven't recived that email, but there is so many free videos online already.
philji

Post by philji »

Is there a link to this? I have googled it and founded a Wisdom publ. Site but courses are priced individually.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

philji wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm Is there a link to this? I have googled it and founded a Wisdom publ. Site but courses are priced individually.
I just got it in an email, it looks like a new service.

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I got it, too.

The join button at the bottom took me here:

https://wisdomexperience.org/the-wisdom-experience/

Not sure if that is a unique pass.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

Mingyur Rinpoche's Vajrayana Online has the same model of a flat fee every month for access to a bunch of courses, along with a forum and monthly webinars with instructors and sometimes Rinpoche himself. I find the format pretty cool, especially since they have a couple of ongoing courses all the time which you can follow along "live" with other students.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

LolCat wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 pm Mingyur Rinpoche's Vajrayana Online has the same model of a flat fee every month for access to a bunch of courses, along with a forum and monthly webinars with instructors and sometimes Rinpoche himself. I find the format pretty cool, especially since they have a couple of ongoing courses all the time which you can follow along "live" with other students.
My wife has been doing the wisdom life program for the last few months,pretty sure the one she is doing is free. she listens to the meditations on her phone and then every few months or so gets together with a group to meditate and discuss. I think Mingyur Rinpoche has done a very good job with online programs, I didn't even know they had another online course.
Rick

Post by Rick »

$30/month for Wisdom Academy online courses sounds like a really good deal. I took a course there a while back, found it well prepared and delivered, though the forum activity was minimal, which I found disappointing. The only potential danger I see <assuming the teachers get it right> is the All You Can Eat Buffet trap, where you glut yourself on all the shiny courses you have access to and end up with a dharmic stomachache.

Vajrayana Online is more expensive: $50/month. Unless you go for the "assistance" fee of $25.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

Hi,

This is a new initiative from Wisdom. I’m happy to answer any questions you all might have about the program. Let me know.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Rick

Re: Wisdom Academy - Moved from Tibetan Forum

Post by Rick »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:06 pm29.95 A month for, I guess, unlimited access to teachings from it looks like mostly Western teachers of Vajrayana such as Thurman, Wallace etc., even saw a Bonpo teacher in there..in concert with Wisdom publications.
I just found out from Wisdom that the $30/month gives you access to most, but not all the courses they offer. For example, only the first of Garfield's three courses on Buddhist philosophy is accessible. Moral of the story: Read the fine print.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Daniel Aitken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 am Hi,

This is a new initiative from Wisdom. I’m happy to answer any questions you all might have about the program. Let me know.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Thanks for being here to answer question Daniel.

I'm just wondering how "tiered" it's going to be. On Rick's point, I'm wondering if some more in-depth stuff will not be covered by the $30 per month, and if so, what sort of content ends up in that category.

-Khunu Lama
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 pm
Daniel Aitken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 am Hi,

Cheers,
Daniel.
Thanks for being here to answer question Daniel.

I'm just wondering how "tiered" it's going to be. On Rick's point, I'm wondering if some more in-depth stuff will not be covered by the $30 per month, and if so, what sort of content ends up in that category.
Hi JD,

Thanks for the question.

We are trying to make as many of our courses available as possible to Wisdom Experience members. There are some limitations, for example, we want to make sure the instructors are remunerated fairly, and that Wisdom can cover our production costs. This is why new courses are not immediately available. Also, Jay's three-part series is worth nearly $450 and so we have only added part one to the collection of available course at the $29.95 a month / $299 a year price. But here are some of the courses you have access to at the moment:

Buddhist Philosophy Part 1 with Jay Garfield
Open Mind with B. Alan Wallace
Cultivating Emotional Balance with B. Alan Wallace and Eve Ekman
The Three Turnings of the Wheel of Dharma with Jay Garfield and Guy Newland
The Four Applications of Mindfulness with B. Alan Wallace
The Dharma of Social and Ecological Engagement with David R. Loy
Shamatha: Meditation for Balanced Living with B. Alan Wallace
Sutra and Tantra: The Profound and Miraculous with Robert Thurman
Shamatha and Vipashyana in the Dzogchen Tradition with B. Alan Wallace
Buddhism: One Teacher, Many Traditions with Ven. Thubten Chodron
Restricted Dzogchen Teachings (series of 4 courses) with B. Alan Wallace

The membership not only gives you access to our courses, but we also have Buddhist films (adding more each month), and you can also read many of our books online. And coming soon for members is the Wisdom Lecture Series which is a new course format shorter than the Wisdom Academy. Guests will include Barry Magid, Malcolm Smith, and Bob Thurman to name a few.

We think the membership is extremely good value. We can only do this because Wisdom is a non-profit organization and even still we will only be able to open the all-access membership up for new members a couple of times a year.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

And, also please feel free to direct any questions about Wisdom Academy/ Wisdom Experience to community[at]Wisdompubs.org or use the chat feature on wisdomexperience.com.

Thank you for all your support!

Cheers,

Daniel Aitken
CEO/Publisher Wisdom Publications
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

If all my disposable income wasn't going to other Dharma stuff already, I'd hop on just for the B. Allan Wallace courses, it definitely seems like a decent amount of stuff.

-Khunu Lama
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Daniel Aitken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm Thank you for all your support!
Thank you for coming on the site!

I'd like to invite you to stick around and make some more posts here. This site has a far reach among the english speaking buddhist world, and many users, like myself found this site by putting various terms into search engines.

I understand you have been an fpmt student for some time, you can use the search on the top of the page to find topics you may be interested in. We'd all be very happy for you to share any insight. (if someone asks a question about a certain thing....."wisdom published this book with a whole chapter on that....")

Anyways, please feel free to let us know about anything new that Wisdom Pubs has coming out.

Thank you
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Agreed, it would be great to have you here!

-Khunu Lama
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Daniel Aitken wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:57 pm Thank you for all your support!
Thank you for coming on the site!

I'd like to invite you to stick around and make some more posts here. This site has a far reach among the english speaking buddhist world, and many users, like myself found this site by putting various terms into search engines.

I understand you have been an fpmt student for some time, you can use the search on the top of the page to find topics you may be interested in. We'd all be very happy for you to share any insight. (if someone asks a question about a certain thing....."wisdom published this book with a whole chapter on that....")

Anyways, please feel free to let us know about anything new that Wisdom Pubs has coming out.

Thank you
Hi, thanks for the invitation. You all have created an incredible resource here at Dharma Wheel. I'd love to spend some more time here and I will certainly enjoy joining in on some of the discussions.

Cheers,

Daniel
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm If all my disposable income wasn't going to other Dharma stuff already, I'd hop on just for the B. Allan Wallace courses, it definitely seems like a decent amount of stuff.
I was going to sign up for a Wallace course, but decided to hold out for this. I've just signed up. I'll let you know how it goes.
Rick wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm $30/month for Wisdom Academy online courses sounds like a really good deal. I took a course there a while back, found it well prepared and delivered, though the forum activity was minimal, which I found disappointing. The only potential danger I see <assuming the teachers get it right> is the All You Can Eat Buffet trap, where you glut yourself on all the shiny courses you have access to and end up with a dharmic stomachache.

Vajrayana Online is more expensive: $50/month. Unless you go for the "assistance" fee of $25.
I would not look at it as buying courses as much as donating to the dharma. I would wager that if some one could truly not even afford the $25 a month, they would lower or waive the fee. Others may choose to donate more to help pay for others. Mingur Rinpoche and the Tergar community are some of the most bodhisattva folks I have encountered.

I went to one dharma center where they literally barred the door with a table and locked other entries to ensure no one entered without payment (although they would also make exceptions).
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Matt J wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:31 pm I went to one dharma center where they literally barred the door with a table and locked other entries to ensure no one entered without payment (although they would also make exceptions).
I’m sure that was a Tibetan Buddhism center.

Return to “Media”