Wisdom Academy - Moved from Tibetan Forum

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Wisdom Academy - Moved from Tibetan Forum

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Matt J wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:31 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:13 pm If all my disposable income wasn't going to other Dharma stuff already, I'd hop on just for the B. Allan Wallace courses, it definitely seems like a decent amount of stuff.
I was going to sign up for a Wallace course, but decided to hold out for this. I've just signed up. I'll let you know how it goes.
Rick wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 pm $30/month for Wisdom Academy online courses sounds like a really good deal. I took a course there a while back, found it well prepared and delivered, though the forum activity was minimal, which I found disappointing. The only potential danger I see <assuming the teachers get it right> is the All You Can Eat Buffet trap, where you glut yourself on all the shiny courses you have access to and end up with a dharmic stomachache.

Vajrayana Online is more expensive: $50/month. Unless you go for the "assistance" fee of $25.
I would not look at it as buying courses as much as donating to the dharma. I would wager that if some one could truly not even afford the $25 a month, they would lower or waive the fee. Others may choose to donate more to help pay for others. Mingur Rinpoche and the Tergar community are some of the most bodhisattva folks I have encountered.

I went to one dharma center where they literally barred the door with a table and locked other entries to ensure no one entered without payment (although they would also make exceptions).
That's terrible. My center basically just breaks even and transparently publishes their finances, which I appreciate.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Just got another email, apparently they have some deal where you pay $5.00 per month for access to a big digital library of Wisdom publications.

Looks pretty promising, anyone doing it yet?

-Khunu Lama
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I signed up for the Wisdom Experience as a whole. B. Alan Wallace's Intro to Dzogchen is pretty good. The books are not easy to read online--- you have to use their website and you cannot use an e-reader. Not all books and courses are available, although a very wide selection is.
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 pm Just got another email, apparently they have some deal where you pay $5.00 per month for access to a big digital library of Wisdom publications.

"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Matt J wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:05 pm I signed up for the Wisdom Experience as a whole. B. Alan Wallace's Intro to Dzogchen is pretty good. The books are not easy to read online--- you have to use their website and you cannot use an e-reader. Not all books and courses are available, although a very wide selection is.
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 pm Just got another email, apparently they have some deal where you pay $5.00 per month for access to a big digital library of Wisdom publications.

Is the e reader phone, tablet friendly?

If my Dharma budget allowed it I would have signed up just for the Wallace courses, he's great. As of now, I could spare the five a month, but not the 30, so I'm thinking about the library thing.

-Khunu Lama
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

It is not bad except you cannot turn your phone/tablet sideways without a huge margin. You can’t download, book mark or save your progress. It is continuous scrolling rather than page flips. Good font. No app.

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm

If my Dharma budget allowed it I would have signed up just for the Wallace courses, he's great. As of now, I could spare the five a month, but not the 30, so I'm thinking about the library thing.
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

Matt J wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 pm It is not bad except you cannot turn your phone/tablet sideways without a huge margin. You can’t download, book mark or save your progress. It is continuous scrolling rather than page flips. Good font. No app.

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi Matt,

I’m going to have the team look into the issue with your not being able to turn the phone/tablet sideways without the huge margin. We are working on improving the readability. The bookmark and highlight functions are features that we hope to bring out next year.

One of my goals for the reading room on the Wisdom Experience is to make available to a broader readership a wide range of our books, many of which are incredible resources but which few people purchase. I’m thinking of, for example, Mind Seeing Mind by Roger Jackson, Luminous Melodies by Karl Brunnhölzl, and Sera Monastery by José Cabezón. These are just a few of our forthcoming new realses that will be available in the reading on the Wisdom Experience in Oct/Nov. I’m really proud to publish these books and I want more people to have access to them. For as long as the support continues, we will be able to make continuous improvements to the tech to better the experience.

Cheers,

Daniel
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I went to sign up, and lo behold the full memberships were on hold. Not sure why this is, but for anyone who was thinking about trying it, for now it appears that only the membership which allows access to the book library is available. The full membership to take teachings, etc. is currently closed.

-Khunu Lama
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:24 pm I went to sign up, and lo behold the full memberships were on hold. Not sure why this is, but for anyone who was thinking about trying it, for now it appears that only the membership which allows access to the book library is available. The full membership to take teachings, etc. is currently closed.
Hi JD,

All Access (full membership) is only open a couple of times a year.

The next opening will be in late November.

Cheers,

Daniel

P.S. I thought some of the DW crew would like to know that we have a six-part video lecture series on "The Brilliance of Dzogchen" from Malcolm Smith dropping shortly <Admins please delete if this is not appropriate>.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I'm very tempted to sign up for the Wisdom Academy and probably will in future. Right now I'm tied up on a nine-to-five until early next year but in the future when I have more time, I'm probably going to join. I think I'll register non-financially to start with and follow the developments.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 pm I'm very tempted to sign up for the Wisdom Academy and probably will in future. Right now I'm tied up on a nine-to-five until early next year but in the future when I have more time, I'm probably going to join. I think I'll register non-financially to start with and follow the developments.
Same here, it looks great. I'm gonna jump onboard with the next enrollment.

P.S. Daniel, totally appropriate and actually I appreciate you personally posting about it.

-Khunu Lama
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Update: just signed up. My main reservation was information overload - very mindful of reading a whole lot of books but missing the kernel. On the other hand, it's a worthy cause and it will be a great community to be part of, there are undoubtedly some great resources and teachers there. So I signed up to the $5.00 pm plan, just to get on board.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I just signed up and will be doing the B. Allan Wallace courses to start. Pretty stoked about this whole deal generally.

-Khunu Lama
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Gotta say that so far I feel like it's well worth investing the $30 a month for the "all access" Wisdom Experience membership.

-Khunu Lama
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I would strongly recommend Malcolm's Dzogchen course on this site. It's excellent. The first lecture is free - it explains the history of the different lineages and empowerments - and that alone is information that's hard to find anywhere else
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

What course? I don’t see a course.
PeterC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:24 am I would strongly recommend Malcolm's Dzogchen course on this site. It's excellent. The first lecture is free - it explains the history of the different lineages and empowerments - and that alone is information that's hard to find anywhere else
--- Muriel Rukeyser
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Matt J wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:59 am What course? I don’t see a course.
PeterC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:24 am I would strongly recommend Malcolm's Dzogchen course on this site. It's excellent. The first lecture is free - it explains the history of the different lineages and empowerments - and that alone is information that's hard to find anywhere else
https://wisdomexperience.org/malcolm-sm ... -series-1/
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I'm going through the B. Allan Wallace series first, but Malcolm's are in my library.

-Khunu Lama
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Hi, thanks for the invitation. You all have created an incredible resource here at Dharma Wheel. I'd love to spend some more time here and I will certainly enjoy joining in on some of the discussions.
Welcome.

I can’t tell you how nice it will be to have a good Gelug poster participate. I’ve got a little FPMT in me but I’m not really a Gelugpa.

I’ll let some friends know about the online offerings.
:twothumbsup:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Thanks I couldn’t find it!
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

smcj wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 am
Hi, thanks for the invitation. You all have created an incredible resource here at Dharma Wheel. I'd love to spend some more time here and I will certainly enjoy joining in on some of the discussions.
Welcome.

I can’t tell you how nice it will be to have a good Gelug poster participate. I’ve got a little FPMT in me but I’m not really a Gelugpa.

I’ll let some friends know about the online offerings.
:twothumbsup:
smcj, thanks for spreading the word. And, we may be similar then as gelug/kagyu hybrids :-)

I look forward to future dharma discussions with you!

Return to “Media”