Oprah sits down with Jack Kornfield

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
reddust

Oprah sits down with Jack Kornfield

Post by reddust »

What It Means to Live an Awakened Life : Oprah sits down with Jack Kornfield
Jack Kornfield, one of the leading Buddhist teachers in America trained as a Buddhist monk in the monasteries of Thailand, India and Burma. He has taught meditation internationally since 1974 and is one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West. He is considered one of the founding fathers of Buddhism in the United States. For 40 years, this former monk and best-selling author has devoted his life to teaching mindfulness and peace, two practices he breaks down with Oprah on this weekend’s episode of “Super Soul Sunday.”

At the foundation of Buddhist teachings, Kornfield explains, is the idea that everyone is born good and, even if they stray from this innate goodness, people can always choose to turn back toward what is good. How? Quite simply, he says. “Turn your heart towards what is good by cultivating forgiveness and compassion and mindful presence,” Kornfield says in the above video. “See the good in one another.”

This practice is something that former South African President Nelson Mandela touted. “[Mandela] said, ‘It never hurts to see the good in someone. They often act better because of it,’” Kornfield quotes.

“That’s beautiful,” Oprah says.

Also in the video, Kornfield uses the example of a school teacher to illustrate this principle and how it can change the behavior of students.
==============================================
I don't watch TV so I don't know a lot about Oprah, I used to walk by her Studio in Chicago every Sunday to do my grocery shopping. That's all I know about Oprah...

I don't know if I agree with everyone is born good. I had four kids and they were born with personalities from the get-go, some more difficult to get along with than others. My girls were born mean I tell you! That's not bad or good but it sure made for a hell of a lot of trouble, especially cause they are so pretty. My only son was super nice and easy going, but you could not make him do something he didn't want to do, stubborn to the bone, those poor girls teased the hell out of him. Finally he got so mad he punched his older sister in the chin when they were around 15-16 years old (1 1/2 years apart) knocked her out. She never tormented him again. I learned about this from my son this last Thanksgiving. I was a stay at home Mom and I tried to keep the kids from fighting but you turn your back and the kids turn into little demons! I was taught we have Buddha Nature, which isn't good or bad, it just is. I know with my kids you keep your rules simple and apply them consistently with good food and education no matter demon spawn or angel they turn out okay. There is that spark that isn't touched no matter what happens in your life, I hope my kids see it someday, that's what Buddhism has given me.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
dzogchungpa

Re: Oprah sits down with Jack Kornfield

Post by dzogchungpa »

reddust wrote:I don't watch TV so I don't know a lot about Oprah, I used to walk by her Studio in Chicago every Sunday to do my grocery shopping. That's all I know about Oprah...
She's that Eckhart Tolle follower, isn't she?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
reddust

Post by reddust »

dzogchungpa wrote:
reddust wrote:I don't watch TV so I don't know a lot about Oprah, I used to walk by her Studio in Chicago every Sunday to do my grocery shopping. That's all I know about Oprah...
I am not sure, but she has had him on her show, I found that out from the other thread running here.
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
greentara

Post by greentara »

Reddust, You've got a lively, feisty family.
I know Kornfield was with Ajahn Chah of the famous Forest community for quite a few years. The best interview I ever saw with Kornfield was when he spoke of and discussed the time he spent with Nisargadatta..... fascinating!
As for his chit chat with Oprah...no interest.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Lol, if Oprah has anything to do with her, I guess Jack Kornfield must be one real piece of human garbage, from what I hear!
:rolling:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

padma norbu wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
Lol, if Oprah has anything to do with her, I guess Jack Kornfield must be one real piece of human garbage, from what I hear!
:rolling:
Get this, I heard that Kornfield reveres ... RAMANA MAHARSHI!!!

:jawdrop:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

dzogchungpa wrote:
padma norbu wrote: Get this, I heard that Kornfield reveres ... RAMANA MAHARSHI!!!

:jawdrop:
Are you serious? Someone should string reddust up by her toenails for starting this thread!
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Right after his meeting with Ramana, he went back to doing his laundry!
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
reddust

Post by reddust »

Stop it you guys :tongue: You are as bad as my kids :thinking:

The Kornfield guy reminds me of the Church Lady, but I don't know him so this is just an off the cuff assessment. I need to do a long retreat with him as a teacher to see him in action. And Oprah is a corporate whore, I don't need to know her to know this... :twisted: you are baiting me :stirthepot:
Last edited by reddust on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

:smile: I really love all of reddust's posts.
reddust

Post by reddust »

padma norbu wrote::smile: I really love all of reddust's posts.
You are up to something, I just know it :cheers: :twothumbsup:
greentara

Post by greentara »

dzogchungpa, I'm not surprised Kornfield was influenced and attracted to Ramana Maharshi. His beautiful devotional poem 'The Marital garland of Letters' is outstandingl...it pulls at the heart strings. Reading the extraordinary story and songs of Milarepa has the same impact.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

greentara wrote:dzogchungpa, I'm not surprised Kornfield was influenced and attracted to Ramana Maharshi. His beautiful devotional poem 'The Marital garland of Letters' is outstandingl...it pulls at the heart strings. Reading the extraordinary story and songs of Milarepa has the same impact.
Actually, RM was a fan of Milarepa, for realsies.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Yes alot of devotees that had Buddhist leanings....Ramana would enthusiatically encourage them to read Milarepa.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Never liked Mencius . . .
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
oushi

Post by oushi »

phpBB [video]

His definitions of awakening is quite... cheap. Not that I would expect something extraordinary, but I cannot agree that "to live awake" is to know "we have capacity for freedom". Sounds like a Sunday school talk.
Say what you think about me here.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Sweet...
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I've seen the name Jack Kornfield quite a lot over the years, but apparently have never anything by him according to his "all books" tab of his website. These videos produced instant enlightenment in me. Just kidding.
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

padma norbu wrote:I've seen the name Jack Kornfield quite a lot over the years, but apparently have never anything by him according to his "all books" tab of his website. These videos produced instant enlightenment in me. Just kidding.
just do your laundry padma norbu :smile:
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Lindama wrote:
padma norbu wrote:I've seen the name Jack Kornfield quite a lot over the years, but apparently have never anything by him according to his "all books" tab of his website. These videos produced instant enlightenment in me. Just kidding.
just do your laundry padma norbu :smile:
how bizarre, I just came in the room to get a load and do it.

Return to “Media”