The four causes of rebirth in Dewachen (Sukhavati)

Mirror

The four causes of rebirth in Dewachen (Sukhavati)

Post by Mirror »

Unlike Chinese Pure Land Buddhism or Japanese Pure Land Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism teaches the four causes of rebirth in the Pure land which are:
1) Generating Bodhichitta
2) Accumulating merit in many ways
3) Repeatedly bringing the Buddha field to mind
4) Dedicating all one's sources of merit as causes for rebirth in that pure realm
(there may be different versions of translation)

And my question is: Are these four causes really necessary for rebirth in the Pure land (without which we can not be born there)? Because for example Bodhichitta is only highly advisable in Chinese Pure Land Buddhism, but not the cause of rebirth.

Thank you very much for any answer.
Memento mori
Remember that you die
Losal Samten

Re: The four causes of rebirth in Dewachen (Sukhavati)

Post by Losal Samten »

Those are necessary for the sutric way in Tibetan Buddhism, but there are vajrayana methods which can bypass them; for example reciting certain dharanis automatically guarantees rebirth, directly going there via phowa, or simply seeing certain images etc. which guarantee rebirth there.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Tills ljuset tar oss

Post by Tills ljuset tar oss »

In my view there is difference between self power and other power. The tibetan approach is self power while the japanese is other power.

One should in my opinion exhaust all self power attempts before relying on other power. Out of dignity and respect for the precious human life and all its potential to reach awakening and wisdom.

Both ways obviously work.

I'm in a tricky situation myself. While i am clearly not a bombu i'm feeling like i've hit a brick wall in my practice. Signs of progress like reciting the name in dreams and having said the name millions of times don't add up to my standards of what constitutes genuine faith. I know it's going to save me in the end but life in this saha world is challenging to say the least.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

A Tibetan Buddhist perspective:

Padmasambhava Buddhist Center, New York

Receive Live Teachings on the Four Causes for Taking Rebirth in Amitabha's Pure Land of Dewachen
by Ven. Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche
https://t.e2ma.net/message/94tlxe/xb7qbc

• Saturday, Sept 25
4:00-6:00 pm EDT

• Sunday, Sept 26
4:00-6:00 pm EDT

Everyone is warmly welcome to receive these exceptionally precious, invaluable instructions!

Registration is required to attend these free teachings.
Learn more:
https://t.e2ma.net/message/94tlxe/xb7qbc

Donations are graciously accepted to support the ongoing Dharma activities of PBC.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mirror wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:17 pm
And my question is: Are these four causes really necessary for rebirth in the Pure land (without which we can not be born there)?
Yes, they are all necessary. And all four of those causes are found in the Aspiration of Samantabhadra, so it is sufficient to recite that. Of course, as mentioned above, there are Vajrayāna methods with supplement those or surpass them.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

As stated above, bodhicitta here is in the framework of Vajrayana teachings and practice.
In Japanese Pure Land, too, one aspires to be born in Amida Buddha's Pure Land in order to save all sentient beings.
It's just that this is done according to the recommendations of Shantao concerning which practices to focus on, and how to view ourselves in relation to Amida Buddha.

I found this passage from Honen about the Bodhi mind broadly:
Honen Shonin, Senchakushu p. 108-9 BDK edition wrote:Concerning the meaning of “awaken the Bodhi mind,” the masters’ opinions are divided. The Tendai school speaks of the Bodhi mind in the “Four Teachings,” namely the Pitaka Teaching, the Common Teaching, the Particular Teaching, and the Perfect Teaching. These are treated in some detail in the text Meditation and Contemplation.
In the Shingon school, three kinds of Bodhi mind are distinguished: that of making vows and performing practices, that of contemplating the supreme principle, and that of attaining realization in samadhi. These are treated fully in the Treatise on the Bodhi Mind.
The Kegon school also has its concept of the Bodhi mind. It is explained in the Meaning of the Bodhi Mind, in the Way of the Mind Serenely Strolling in the Land of Peace and Bliss, and in other works.
Both the Sanron and the Hosso schools also have their notion of the Bodhi mind. It is explained in detail in their commentaries and other treatises. Further, Shan-tao also interprets the meaning of the Bodhi mind. He speaks at length about it in his Commentary. Although the phrase “awaken the Bodhi mind” remains the same, its meaning differs according to each school.
In this way, it is clear that the one phrase, “Bodhi mind,” is widely discussed in the many sutras, both the exoteric and the esoteric ones. Its meaning is vast and profound, and its implications are immeasurably deep. I pray that the many Buddhist practitioners will avoid fixing on only one meaning and shutting out the many others. Everyone among those who seek Rebirth in the Pure Land should strive diligently to awaken the Bodhi mind in the manner proper to their own school. Even though all the other practices are lacking, awakening the Bodhi mind can be the karmic action for Rebirth in the Pure Land.
I think a similar confusion can arise if, for example, someone sees Chinese Pure Land's emphasis on deathbed practice and one's final moments, while such an emphasis is relatively absent from Japanese Pure Land.
There is only a conflict if someone tries to apply both kinds of advice at once, comparing and contrasting.
Tills ljuset tar oss wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 pmI'm in a tricky situation myself. While i am clearly not a bombu i'm feeling like i've hit a brick wall in my practice. Signs of progress like reciting the name in dreams and having said the name millions of times don't add up to my standards of what constitutes genuine faith. I know it's going to save me in the end but life in this saha world is challenging to say the least.
I've found guidance in Shantao's teachings on the Three Minds and Four Modes of Practice. Each topic has a chapter in Honen's Senchakushu.
You are quite right that this Saha world is a challenging one.
The Larger Sutra says:
Even if the whole world is on fire,
Be sure to pass through it to hear the Dharma;
Then you will surely enter the Buddha’s enlightenment
And everywhere deliver beings from the river of birth and death.
Namu Amida Butsu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

明安 Myoan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:36 pm As stated above, bodhicitta here is in the framework of Vajrayana teachings and practice.
Bodhicitta is the defining feature of Mahayana, period.
In Japanese Pure Land, too, one aspires to be born in Amida Buddha's Pure Land in order to save all sentient beings.
Thus it is a Mahayana path.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Yes, no disagreement here.

In Jodo Shu Buddhism, one approaches the matter of fulfilling this Mahayana Vow through the Three Minds and Four Modes of Practice, which center around Amida Buddha.
Namu Amida Butsu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

明安 Myoan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:37 pm Yes, no disagreement here.

In Jodo Shu Buddhism, one approaches the matter of fulfilling this Mahayana Vow through the Three Minds and Four Modes of Practice, which center around Amida Buddha.
Right. I was only giving support to the OP.

In Indo-Tibetan Buddhism, aspiring for birth in Sukhavati is baked in, encompassed in the Bhadracaryapranidhana, as mentioned, the whole, or portions of which are recited daily.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

明安 Myoan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:37 pm Yes, no disagreement here.

Those who make this heartfelt aspiration for the bodhisattva way Will be free of all lower rebirths,
Free of harmful companions,
And will quickly see Amitabha, Infinite Light.

When the moment of my death arrives,
By eliminating all obscurations
And directly perceiving Amitabha,
May I go immediately to Sukhavati, Pure Land of Great Joy.

Having gone to Sukhavati,
May I actualize the meaning of these aspirations,
Fulfilling them all without exception,
For the benefit of beings for as long as this world endures.
Born from an extremely beautiful, superlative lotus In this joyful land,
the Buddha’s magnificent mandala,
May I receive a prediction of my awakening
Directly from the Buddha Amitabha.

Through creating limitless positive potential
By dedicating this prayer of Samantabhadra’s deeds,
May all beings drowning in this torrent of suffering,
Enter the presence of Amitabha.

Through this king of aspirations, which is the greatest of the sublime,
Helping infinite wanderers in samsara,
Through the accomplishment of this scripture dazzling with
Samantabhadra’s practice,
May suffering realms be utterly emptied of all beings
https://fpmt.org/wp-content/uploads/pra ... ers_c5.pdf

The aforementioned four causes of birth in Sukhavati are complete in this aspiration prayer, which is found at the end of the Gandhavyuha, and provides the overall framework for all Tibetan Buddhist liturgies and practices.
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:47 pm Yes, they are all necessary. And all four of those causes are found in the Aspiration of Samantabhadra, so it is sufficient to recite that. Of course, as mentioned above, there are Vajrayāna methods with supplement those or surpass them.
Please can you give me some examples of those Vajrayana methods, so that I can learn more about them? Thank you

明安 Myoan thank you very much for that passage from Honen.
Memento mori
Remember that you die
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mirror wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:47 pm Yes, they are all necessary. And all four of those causes are found in the Aspiration of Samantabhadra, so it is sufficient to recite that. Of course, as mentioned above, there are Vajrayāna methods with supplement those or surpass them.
Please can you give me some examples of those Vajrayana methods, so that I can learn more about them? Thank you

Transference of consciousness is one such method. Practiced with some diligence, it is not hard to obtain a positive sign.
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:13 am
Mirror wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 pm

Transference of consciousness is one such method. Practiced with some diligence, it is not hard to obtain a positive sign.
Thank you very much! :namaste:
Memento mori
Remember that you die

Return to “Pure Land”