Avalokiteshvara-focused Pure Land Buddhism

KiwiNFLFan

Avalokiteshvara-focused Pure Land Buddhism

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

In the thread on Japanese Pure Land Buddhism vs other East Asian countries, user Sentient Light wrote the following:
Some Vietnamese Pure Land Buddhists might even focus their niem phat practice primarily on Avalokitesvrara instead of Amitabha.
I have a deep devotion to Kuan Yin Bodhisattva, and would like to find out more about this - Avalokiteshvara based Pure Land Buddhism. Can reciting Kuan Yin's name (either alongside Amitabha's name or instead of it) guarantee rebirth in the Pure Land?

Also, what would be a typical niem phat liturgy for Vietnamese Buddhists? While I don't read Vietnamese, I can read some Chinese characters and know how to pronounce Vietnamese.

Any information would be much appreciated.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Avalokiteshvara-focused Pure Land Buddhism

Post by 明安 Myoan »

When you practice with one, you are never far from the other in mind or aspiration.
This is because of how they work together in the Sutras, both ways.

For Vietnamese Pure Land, there is "Buddhism of Wisdom and Faith" online, but it's not specifically about Avalokite: https://www.ymba.org/books/buddhism-wis ... d-practice

It has a chapter on the Bodhi Mind that is clear and helpful in general, also.

Hopefully a follower of Vietnamese Pure Land can answer more.
Namu Amida Butsu
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

This way of practice has to do with the idea that Avalokiteshvara is Amitabha's future successor as Buddha of the Pure Land, as I recall.
(Just checked: it comes from the Beihua jing 悲華經 Karuṇāpuṇḍarīka-sūtra )
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I can't really contribute any answer to OP's question, but I'd like to share these impressions from a Vietnamese pagoda I know. They are practicing Pure Land there and their temple and garden are full of the most beautiful statues.

My favorite is the Avalokiteshvara with 1000 arms. You can see it shortly at 3:29.

Return to “Pure Land”