Published books with Pure Land practice instruction?

cjdevries

Re: Published books with Pure Land practice instruction?

Post by cjdevries »

I think Master Yong Hua explained that he had hoped to be a student of Hsuan Hua for 25 years (assuming that Hsuan Hua lived to be 100), but then he died shortly after he became a student.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

juexing wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:02 am his understanding of Theravada, or as he insists on calling it, Hinayana, is another can of worms...
Those people call alot of different types of Buddhism hinayana- even other mahayana monks.
I also remember one time being quite surprised to hear some of his remarks about 淨空法师
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

pael wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm
SonamTashi wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:22 pm
In regards to The Daily Practices of Western Pure Land Buddhism, I do not believe there are any previews online. I could perhaps take some pictures, as long as it isn't enough to infringe on copyrights. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?
How many pages?
Sorry it took me so long to answer, I've been quite bust and kept forgetting ti check. The books is 652 pages plus index.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
ezza

Post by ezza »

Thread is a little old, however for future comers this might be handy..

I would highly recommend this English translation of the Pure Land Sutras, which is contemporary and well-regarded: https://www.amazon.com/Bliss-Paradise-B ... 824817605/

This one I haven't read yet, however would think it'd be a great read, which is Nagarjuna on Mindfulness of the Buddha:

(English-only) http://www.kalavinka.org/kp_book_pages/ ... k_page.htm - can also be found on Amazon if after paperback
(Bilingual English/Chinese) http://www.kalavinka.org/kp_book_pages/ ... k_page.htm

For a simplified practice, just learn the 7 Point Vairochana posture for sitting, and then just recite "Namo Amitofo" with full attention on the hearing. When off the mat and performing daily activities/life, and when not doing mentally taxing things, continue reciting Namo Amitofo non-stop.

One should read the Pure Land sutras deeply and investigate and understand it, I can't say for sure but my gut feeling tells me that simply reciting Namo Amitofo non-stop isn't the be all and end all of this practice, one must still be virtuous and uphold sila and so forth. However, recitation is a key and essential component, along with faith, practice, and vows :)
2rivers&whitepath

Post by 2rivers&whitepath »

"For a simplified practice, just learn the 7 Point Vairochana posture for sitting, and then just recite "Namo Amitofo" with full attention on the hearing. When off the mat and performing daily activities/life, and when not doing mentally taxing things, continue reciting Namo Amitofo non-stop."

No need to learn other methods when reciting the Buddha's name, that is the method in itself.

One should read the Pure Land sutras deeply and investigate and understand it, I can't say for sure but my gut feeling tells me that simply reciting Namo Amitofo non-stop isn't the be all and end all of this practice, one must still be virtuous and uphold sila and so forth. However, recitation is a key and essential component, along with faith, practice, and vows :)

Of course it's still good to strive to be good, but the requirements for rebirth is just reciting the Buddhas name. The Six Character name "Namo Amituofo" encomposses all 84,000 Dharmas and it IS the Be all. Master Shandao was so compassionate to teach the correct way of Pureland practice and there are many stories of people having rebirth that have no faith, made no vows, and didn't know anything about Buddhism or Amitabha Buddha let along his Pureland. The Name "Namo Amituofo" holds everything we need. It does not matter how you recite, there is no fixed method for this so sitting, standing, walking, lying down, it's all the same. If you want to sit in Lotus then that is just the same as not sitting in lotus when it comes to reciting the Buddha's name. Namo Amituofo _/l\_ English - www.purelandbuddhism.org Chinese - www.pureland-buddhism.org

Return to “Pure Land”