What makes someone a Buddhst?

bcol01

What makes someone a Buddhst?

Post by bcol01 »

Aside from striving to summon forth ones' own Buddhahood, how should one lve as a Buddhist? How should one think, speak and act? I have my own take on this question, but as always, I thoroughly enjoy hearing the insights of others in the sangha. I always learn something new or see something from a unique angle. Thanks everyone and hope you are all doing well! :namaste:
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
KathyLauren

Re: What makes someone a Buddhst?

Post by KathyLauren »

Traditionally, what makes one a Buddhist is if one takes refuge in the Three Jewels: Buddha, Dharma and Sangha. In terms of conduct, one should live one's life according to the Noble Eightfold Path, and/or the Six Paramitas. As a Mahayanist, one should be motivated primarily by compassion.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I'd say what makes someone a buddhist is that they act like it.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Would you care to elaborate? When you say "act like it", what does that mean?
narhwal90 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:27 pm I'd say what makes someone a buddhist is that they act like it.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

We see Nichiren has fulfilling a Buddhist prophecy--yes, we have them. Essentially, you could start there and possibly come to a better understanding.I suppose anything is a cult these days. They use to say the same thing about Christians, but I digress.
Inedible wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:57 am I've noticed that this question is in the Nichiren section. Serious question, I thought he was supposed to be a cult leader. How is Nichiren not a cult leader? And please do answer the question instead of just deleting it.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

bcol01 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm Would you care to elaborate? When you say "act like it", what does that mean?
narhwal90 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:27 pm I'd say what makes someone a buddhist is that they act like it.
Some degree of conformance the Precepts, Eightfold path- whichever flavors or interpretations the selected tradition tends to follow.
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Ty for that. That's still quite general but more precise ;) Thanks, narhwal

:namaste:
narhwal90 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 pm
bcol01 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm Would you care to elaborate? When you say "act like it", what does that mean?
Some degree of conformance the Precepts, Eightfold path- whichever flavors or interpretations the selected tradition tends to follow.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

DJKr wrote a pretty good book on exactly this question.

From a philosophical perspective, the uniquely Buddhist teaching is interdependent origination. Most of the other pieces you can find elsewhere.

However I don't personally think subscribing to beliefs makes you a 'Buddhist'. You wouldn't call yourself a swimmer if you never got into water, or a tennis player if you never stepped onto a court but only watched games on television. Actually I don't particularly like the term 'Buddhist', since it admits the possibility of someone who holds beliefs but takes no action. 'Dharma practitioner' is much better - you either practice, or you don't, and if you don't, what you believe isn't particularly important. The Buddha didn't preach justification by faith.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

The off topic controversial discussion has been split to the subforum Open Dharma: https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 37#p592237
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

bcol01 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 pm Aside from striving to summon forth ones' own Buddhahood, how should one lve as a Buddhist? How should one think, speak and act? I have my own take on this question, but as always, I thoroughly enjoy hearing the insights of others in the sangha. I always learn something new or see something from a unique angle. Thanks everyone and hope you are all doing well! :namaste:

Through the noble human behaviors of honesty, kindness, compassion, mercy, justice, forbearance, magnanimity, and protecting the teachings, one is a Buddhist.
ronnymarsh

Post by ronnymarsh »

bcol01 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:04 pm Aside from striving to summon forth ones' own Buddhahood, how should one lve as a Buddhist? How should one think, speak and act? I have my own take on this question, but as always, I thoroughly enjoy hearing the insights of others in the sangha. I always learn something new or see something from a unique angle. Thanks everyone and hope you are all doing well! :namaste:

What traditional schools teach about what makes one Buddhist is refuge in the Three Treasures: Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

Taking refuge means first of all having faith in these three elements, even if one does not understand or receive precepts. That is, if someone simply has faith in these three elements, even if they relate at first, or apparently, in a very devoted way and sometimes even similar to what exists in other religions, that person is a Buddhist.

Receiving and maintaining the precepts, developing practical realizations, high levels of wisdom, and so on, means you are on the path to enlightenment, but that is not what makes you a Buddhist.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Wonderful passage. Thanks for posting.

M
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

ronnymarsh wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 am

What traditional schools teach about what makes one Buddhist is refuge in the Three Treasures: Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

Taking refuge means first of all having faith in these three elements, even if one does not understand or receive precepts. That is, if someone simply has faith in these three elements, even if they relate at first, or apparently, in a very devoted way and sometimes even similar to what exists in other religions, that person is a Buddhist.

Receiving and maintaining the precepts, developing practical realizations, high levels of wisdom, and so on, means you are on the path to enlightenment, but that is not what makes you a Buddhist.

Nichiren teaches regarding the Three Treasures:

“...If there are those who possess differing ideas concerning the three treasures, then truly you should know that these people can no longer hope to take refuge in, or rely upon, the three pure treasures. They will never gain benefit from any of the precepts, and in the end, they will fail to obtain the fruits of the voicehearer, the cause-awakened one, or the bodhisattva.” This passage is clearly referring to [the essential point of ] the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra..." (The Third Doctrine)

Nichiren was referring to all sects and practitioners who embrace, read, recite and contemplate any Sutra other than the Lotus Sutra, even those who practice the Theoretical Section of the Lotus Sutra. Those who take as their treasure of the Buddha, the Shakyamuni Buddha of India who attained Buddhahood for the first time under the Bodhi Tree, he asserts will fail to obtain the fruits of the voicehearer, the cause-awakened one, or the bodhisattva, let alone the fruits of Buddhahood. The correct Treasure of the Buddha for Nichiren and his disciples and believers, is the Eternal Shakyamuni Buddha of the Lifespan Chapter of the Lotus Sutra. He goes into great detail to point out the various sects and was pleased that his disciple Toki Jonin defeated the priests Ryosho-bo and Shinen-bo of the Tendai sect in debate. These priests had been slandering and reviling Nichiren for years, though they had never listened to nor seen him. Nichiren calls these priests, "mosquitos and gadflies" who were quite strange to be reciting Namu Myoho renge kyo while giving approval to those who chant the Nembutsu.

M
ronnymarsh

Post by ronnymarsh »

illarraza wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:34 am
ronnymarsh wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:36 am

Nichiren teaches regarding the Three Treasures:

“...If there are those who possess differing ideas concerning the three treasures, then truly you should know that these people can no longer hope to take refuge in, or rely upon, the three pure treasures. They will never gain benefit from any of the precepts, and in the end, they will fail to obtain the fruits of the voicehearer, the cause-awakened one, or the bodhisattva.” This passage is clearly referring to [the essential point of ] the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra..." (The Third Doctrine)

Nichiren was referring to all sects and practitioners who embrace, read, recite and contemplate any Sutra other than the Lotus Sutra, even those who practice the Theoretical Section of the Lotus Sutra. Those who take as their treasure of the Buddha, the Shakyamuni Buddha of India who attained Buddhahood for the first time under the Bodhi Tree, he asserts will fail to obtain the fruits of the voicehearer, the cause-awakened one, or the bodhisattva, let alone the fruits of Buddhahood. The correct Treasure of the Buddha for Nichiren and his disciples and believers, is the Eternal Shakyamuni Buddha of the Lifespan Chapter of the Lotus Sutra. He goes into great detail to point out the various sects and was pleased that his disciple Toki Jonin defeated the priests Ryosho-bo and Shinen-bo of the Tendai sect in debate. These priests had been slandering and reviling Nichiren for years, though they had never listened to nor seen him. Nichiren calls these priests, "mosquitos and gadflies" who were quite strange to be reciting Namu Myoho renge kyo while giving approval to those who chant the Nembutsu.

M

Nichiren had several considerations about the Three Treasures, which cannot be simplified in terms of "Eternal Buddha Shakyamuni" without cutting out what attributed teachings should be taken into account. However, that is not the issue.

No matter what each school defines as the three treasures, to define someone as a Buddhist what is needed is faith in these three elements.

A person can take a specific Buddha, a set of Dharma texts, and a group of priests and their texts as the foundation of their religious practice. If she does, she is considered Buddhist.

I am not adept, for example, of the Soka Gakkai, and I do not claim that it teaches general views that are in accordance with the Dharma, however I cannot say that this organization is not Buddhist as it takes refuge in the Original Buddha ( Namu-Myoho-renge-kyo), takes refuge in the Dharma of the Original Buddha (Honmon no Hokkekyo), and takes refuge in the writings of priests who expound this view (such as Nichiren and Nikko). So, even if they don't receive or keep the precepts, even if they are wrong on several issues, still I cannot say that they are not Buddhists.

Return to “Nichiren”