where do i send Shakkabukku

Minobu

where do i send Shakkabukku

Post by Minobu »

Ok so like please see this as a very serious question. A call out to everyone to set aside agendas and just tell me what i need to know.

I want to introduce a few people to this Buddhism but i just tell them what i do alone...

also i want to start to hide my other practices so as to not confuse young people .

I want them to embrace this Buddhism as pure as possible.

I've never been to a Nichiren shu anything except in meeting a priest at a funeral and gathering afterwards.

It was a surprise and he told me basically he was like a high priest...the man had power and somehow i came back to practice..

but thats besides the point..

The gakki as a recall was like the best of the best for keeping tabs on new members and getting them to practice daily.

which is the most important for without it it's all just theory...

Nichiren shoshu was also very good at teaching but it was like less than the Gakki when came to interacting with members..

they did very well but no where near the level of the Gakki i used to know

thats the thing...how different is the gakki ...

maybe ShoShu has improved on the whole support and meetings and follow up than when i was there...after all i was only in it the first four years after the divorce...so it might have improved...

I'm a little worried how much the practice itself has changed in the gakki...

i heard they never chant Namu any more and Gongyo has been lessened.

the Gongyo part i'm cool with...five times n the morning was rough and three times at night all was really hard..

so lightening up on that ..i can see..

the prayers have changed as well i heard...

i need to know these changes...

so if anyone wants to bring me up to speed so i can decide ...

i would prefer the Gakki due to what i remember ...but if that has changed drastically...the practice i mean and prayers...not praying to high priest of present i'm cool with ...i can live with that...but i dunno...

I know Shoshu and it would be a good place for me to introduce people...

you know go with what you know ....

if i'm not clear please ask...

of course this may sound very sectarian...which it is...but i'm well beyond anything that that would cause me to say this is one is better...

i think i have voiced my concerns..

so whats the new Gakki like..

Is shoshu more user supportive...than like in the beginning of the four years i was in...

Shu i kinda of know you are basically almost on your own ...
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: where do i send Shakkabukku

Post by narhwal90 »

SGI is still very much member-focused, the organization remains oriented around the neighborhood/district concept, meeting in peoples houses and so on. I have the impression Shoshu is likewise but perhaps since they have temples there is a different dimension. SGI has its community centers.. but covid-wise everything remains closed aorund here, all meetings are on zoom. Maybe things will start opening up more over the summer etc.. sure hope so.

But as to attracting new members at least in SGI-land, its not so much about telling someone what is and what isn't but instead its one's own life condition and example that tells the story. The streetcorner shakabuku evangelism campaigns of the 70's and 80's with the leaflets and so on are long gone. Personally, I share my stuff if the topic arises in some way and don't go into detail otherwise.

Just before covid closed everything the folks in the office where I sit were comfortable enough to compare/contrast and study one another's religions and practices in a serious way. My turn was coming up but then came March 2020 and that was that for the time being.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I suspected as much...That's the attraction fro me with the gakki.But the social thing was never my concern..it was the practice and learning...

There were a lot of people who were regulars but when being honest they did not chant that much and missed a lot of gongyos...

Thing is if they have changed the practice and dropped totally some of the practice i used to know...well thats a bother...

i heard somewhere , maybe here that they don't ever say Namu...it's not a big deal i know,,but thats weird if it's true..

i got over my week of wondering about the whole namu thing...so thats not the point in asking...

what about the prayers ...what are they and how are they performed...

Shoshu would be the same...so i don't need to know...but if they really changed the practice ..welll...thats a stickler for me..

seems there is crickets when i ask this...lol

i would like to know how shoshu is doing in the member support..it was weak when i was there.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

any links to gakki practice...i could not find one...might come as a shock to some but i am pro gakki in my mind as of late...and there are a few people sort of interested in what i do...covid is my exuse for not telling other than there are options.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:15 pm I suspected as much...That's the attraction fro me with the gakki.But the social thing was never my concern..it was the practice and learning...

There were a lot of people who were regulars but when being honest they did not chant that much and missed a lot of gongyos...

Thing is if they have changed the practice and dropped totally some of the practice i used to know...well thats a bother...

i heard somewhere , maybe here that they don't ever say Namu...it's not a big deal i know,,but thats weird if it's true..

i got over my week of wondering about the whole namu thing...so thats not the point in asking...

what about the prayers ...what are they and how are they performed...

Shoshu would be the same...so i don't need to know...but if they really changed the practice ..welll...thats a stickler for me..

seems there is crickets when i ask this...lol

i would like to know how shoshu is doing in the member support..it was weak when i was there.
Nichiren Shoshu as I experience it, is very much member oriented. Chanting together and temple focused. We are serious about our faith. Since covid struck meeting on zoom to chant. before covid. Meeting In Person.. my temple is in NYC but I'm in Niagara Canada. The border closure really effected us in disrupting being able to meet and chant together in person. We use zoom until border is open.

Keep Chanting.
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

SGI prayer book is here if you want a pdf.

https://sokagakkai1.weebly.com/uploads/ ... arge-2.pdf

(note that the document is copyrighted, but the content is also made available free of charge in the SGI app)

It is true SGI does not say "namu", and has not for a while now. The prayers are performed in the order shown; usually there is daimoku first, then the first prayer, then the recitation. After that, daimoku and the remaining prayers. If you prefer an app, SGI has one available for free with the entire thing presented as a scrollable document, makes it easy to keep up- and includes a daimoku counter which is helpful if you're into that sort of thing- and it has a button to tap for a bell sound :)

That said, I prefer the old Shoshu gongyo books I kept, I use them sometimes. To be quite honest, I usually substiute the Vows for much of the 3rd prayer and for the 1st I offer thanks and gratitude to all those both known and unknown who have brought the dharma to us.

Outreach via zooom is an interesting question though. We have had some new members come thru my local meetings, some visitors as well- it seems to be by invitation; friends & family of SGI members and so on. Pre-covid, the community centers provided some of that networking for "cold calls" if you will; finding out members and meetings in the area to hook interested people up with, and "new members" meetings were held there weekly- sure would like to get back to that.

It looks like facebook is where a lot of this occurs these days, I gave up facebook a long time ago and don't miss it; so I don't have anything more useful to say on that front.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

hey thanks for the info...

just found out me and SZ are neighbors...lol...

I started Nichiren shoshu in toronto and like he knows all me ole people...my people...
as Marley would say

Movement of Jah People...lol

this has been a great few days for me...feel like

HOME...
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

So from reading the gakki prayers i see both Shoshu and Gakki believe in the Dai Gohonzon..

how does gakki manage that..like are they allowed to go on Tozan ..

Just a note here...i have no problem with either the concept of for or against The Buddha of Kuon Ganjo..for me the verdict is still out and one day i shall know...

also the concept of the Dai gohonzon i have no problem with ..i find joy in the idea ...not to lessen it's meaning ..but thats my take...

i have changed drastically as of late..

Both shoshu and the Gakki are like my family...and i'm like the wayward son broken up due to their break up..

sorry but thats how i feel ..i love both equally..

As far as Shu goes i have no idea...their isn't much difference ..but i think the quality of support and the depth ShoShu and the Gakki go to for their membership is beyound words..

one thing there is no way i would tell any of the people who are interested in this Buddhism about this place...i find it far too toxic for a beginner...now that is not a reflection on DW...not in any way..they do their best to keep it civil...and it's not the Nichiren members ..just those without belief...that enter threads with no idea of what This is really all about...

for me their more than welcome and i learn stuff and reinforce my belief constantly due to their misunderstanding..i find strength and my faith is only reinforced ...also it is important to know all Buddhism....but for a noob...no way...

reading the opening of the eyes and coming to understand that even non buddhist teachings are actually Buddhist...
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:29 pm Ok so like please see this as a very serious question. A call out to everyone to set aside agendas and just tell me what i need to know.

I want to introduce a few people to this Buddhism but i just tell them what i do alone...

also i want to start to hide my other practices so as to not confuse young people .

I want them to embrace this Buddhism as pure as possible.

I've never been to a Nichiren shu anything except in meeting a priest at a funeral and gathering afterwards.

It was a surprise and he told me basically he was like a high priest...the man had power and somehow i came back to practice..

but thats besides the point..

The gakki as a recall was like the best of the best for keeping tabs on new members and getting them to practice daily.

which is the most important for without it it's all just theory...

Nichiren shoshu was also very good at teaching but it was like less than the Gakki when came to interacting with members..

they did very well but no where near the level of the Gakki i used to know

thats the thing...how different is the gakki ...

maybe ShoShu has improved on the whole support and meetings and follow up than when i was there...after all i was only in it the first four years after the divorce...so it might have improved...

I'm a little worried how much the practice itself has changed in the gakki...

i heard they never chant Namu any more and Gongyo has been lessened.

the Gongyo part i'm cool with...five times n the morning was rough and three times at night all was really hard..

so lightening up on that ..i can see..

the prayers have changed as well i heard...

i need to know these changes...

so if anyone wants to bring me up to speed so i can decide ...

i would prefer the Gakki due to what i remember ...but if that has changed drastically...the practice i mean and prayers...not praying to high priest of present i'm cool with ...i can live with that...but i dunno...

I know Shoshu and it would be a good place for me to introduce people...

you know go with what you know ....

if i'm not clear please ask...

of course this may sound very sectarian...which it is...but i'm well beyond anything that that would cause me to say this is one is better...

i think i have voiced my concerns..

so whats the new Gakki like..

Is shoshu more user supportive...than like in the beginning of the four years i was in...

Shu i kinda of know you are basically almost on your own ...
You create your own Sangha/Group if you don't like organized religion. If you are not close to a sect of your choosing (I am recommending Nipponzan-Myohoji at this time because their monks are celibate and desire little). I have taught Namu Myoho renge kyo to many dozens of people, perhaps a dozen who have continued to chant and I have a group of four people who semi-regularly come over to chant and do Gongyo. I have "bestowed more than a dozen Gohonzon, some of which I mounted on blank wall scrolls. I have a "chapter" of 80 people in my virtual group, many of whom are chanting and some of whom communicate fairly regularly.

Mark
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

yo Mark , what are your thoughts on online gohonzon.
Would it be the same as a painted image on wood if endowed with Myo Ho RenGe Kyo.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:32 pm So from reading the gakki prayers i see both Shoshu and Gakki believe in the Dai Gohonzon..

Sadly the rift is still there, presumably it will be with us for some time yet. SGI does not organize tozans to Taisekiji. Pilgrimages to Japan are encouraged, but are focused around SGI, and landmarks associated with Nichiren.

The Dai-Gohonzon is indeed referenced, though not emphasized in SGI like it was in N.Shoshu America back in the day. I have not been fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of any N.Shoshu folks in this area... sure would like to see what things are like over there- same with N.Shu for that matter.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 pm
Minobu wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:32 pm So from reading the gakki prayers i see both Shoshu and Gakki believe in the Dai Gohonzon..

Sadly the rift is still there, presumably it will be with us for some time yet. SGI does not organize tozans to Taisekiji. Pilgrimages to Japan are encouraged, but are focused around SGI, and landmarks associated with Nichiren.

The Dai-Gohonzon is indeed referenced, though not emphasized in SGI like it was in N.Shoshu America back in the day. I have not been fortunate enough to make the acquaintance of any N.Shoshu folks in this area... sure would like to see what things are like over there- same with N.Shu for that matter.
ok thanks...
well this religion has always had it's problems and they always get solved somehow...it might take hundreds of years...but i'm sure it will get sorted.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

illarraza wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:54 pm You create your own Sangha/Group if you don't like organized religion.

That's wonderful.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

edit: odd this googles to marilyn manson lol...
Queequeg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:13 am
illarraza wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:54 pm You create your own Sangha/Group if you don't like organized religion.

That's wonderful.
Ah Holy Alchemy

Symbol of enlightenment

t'is wonderful

Spiritus Sancti

red and green dragon ..excellent to see them in union.

Fulcanelli would love it

Last edited by Minobu on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

That's wonderful.
Anyway what ever inspired you to do this Q

A word from the wise..or actually wait ,,,,come down here and slum with me.

Completion stage tantra is much safer and leads to compassion ..the other can lead to the dark side...
no joke.
Most end up heroin addicts
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

That's wonderful.
slept on this...

this went whoooshing over me head.

I have no desire to create my own anything group.

any implication of such is just gossip.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Well, the Lotus Sutra Chapter 17 teaches, that there were leaders of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth that that had a multitude of followers, those who had a thousand followers, those who had 1 hundred followers, those who had 10 followers, and those who had no followers (solitary Bodhisattvas) and Nichiren taught to tell others to the best of your ability. You can tell others and they too can practice Namu Myoho renge kyo on their own or attract followers.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Correction, Chapter 15 above (regarding the followers of the various Bodhisattvas of the Earth).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

You create your own Sangha/Group if you don't like organized religion.
You don't see the irony, do you.

Nichiren also taught itaidoshin. The problems is, when one gets obsessed with the one true way, to the exclusion of others, one finds oneself on an island faced with rising seas and a persecution complex. Nothing like an us and them complex to build a religion around. Rinse, repeat.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”