Buddhism's causes of illness

PadmaVonSamba

Re: Buddhism's causes of illness

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Minobu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:43 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:36 pm
Minobu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:00 pmI always have a problem with what appears as dismissing suffering due to the nature of emptiness.
something to keep in mind is that emptiness (suñata) isn’t a thing on its own. It’s not some kind of cosmic force. Emptiness can only be used to describe the true nature of (other) things. So, there isn’t really any ‘nature of emptiness’.
Actually there is a point where the view becomes, The emptiness of emptiness.

So, suffering (Dukkha) isn’t due to any ‘nature of emptiness’ but rather due to not realizing the true (emptiness) nature of appearances (things).
For example, we think, “this object will satisfy my craving for happiness” forgetting that the true nature of that object is emptiness, meaning dependently arising, a composite, and thus eventually destined to fail to bring lasting happiness.
I don't think you even tried to see what i was talking about..

just jumped in with unrelated personal bravado of your understanding of sunyata....
Lovely.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:52 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:36 pm something to keep in mind is that emptiness (suñata) isn’t a thing on its own. It’s not some kind of cosmic force. Emptiness can only be used to describe the true nature of (other) things. So, there isn’t really any ‘nature of emptiness’.

So, suffering (Dukkha) isn’t due to any ‘nature of emptiness’ but rather due to not realizing the true (emptiness) nature of appearances (things).
For example, we think, “this object will satisfy my craving for happiness” forgetting that the true nature of that object is emptiness, meaning dependently arising, a composite, and thus eventually destined to fail to bring lasting happiness.

just jumped in with unrelated personal bravado of your understanding of sunyata....
Lovely.
like i just said...

Minobu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:47 pm when i typed

so i always have a problem with what appears as dismissing suffering due to the nature of emptiness.

Now i think what you just wrote embarks there but also one could take it as a means to be able to deal with the horror of it all.
It comes from a discussion where His Holiness the Dali Lama said the concept of emptiness makes the reality of suffering bearable.

i just interpreted as i see others are explaining the nature of suffering from a deep understanding of Sunyata.

which is cool...but i have a problem with that.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Minobu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:00 pmI always have a problem with what appears as dismissing suffering due to the nature of emptiness.
something to keep in mind is that emptiness (suñata) isn’t a thing on its own. It’s not some kind of cosmic force. Emptiness can only be used to describe the true nature of (other) things. So, there isn’t really any ‘nature of emptiness’.

Well you are all over the place with your own personal story, relationships with women, your dad’s accent, so figuring out what exactly you were talking about, yeah I admit I got lost there.

So, I was merely addressing the conundrum you mentioned. Perhaps the reason why it is a conundrum lies in a misunderstanding of ‘emptiness’.
I think the point I made speaks directly to that.
It relates to taking illness as path, rather than as an obstacle, what Jigten Sumgön mentions.

. . . . .
Whatever you perceive as brovado, or what the avatar image I use means, or wherever you imagine I’m coming from, that’s all from you.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

tkp67 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:46 pm If one does not recall choosing this birth where/how was the opportunity to have a choice in the matter expressed? Was it through volition in THIS lifetime?

If not I see it as inherited but not of conscious choice. As I understand it the potential karma I am in control of all occurs within a given moment.
According to my own limited experience of what was before birth into this life, I would say I was finally lured into taking a new birth by extravagant promises made by many beings during a longish time.
Maybe all one's thoughts, aspirations, promises etc are heard by immaterial beings who consider taking rebirth into this world?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
penalvad_uba

Post by penalvad_uba »

There is nothing in buddhism that says you should treat yourself badly, it only point outs that beliefs of the self are illusory
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

It seems to me, a break would not be bad for this thread at this point.

Return to “Nichiren”