Vajrayana as an aspect of Nichiren practice

Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Vajrayana as an aspect of Nichiren practice

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:58 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm
But, that said, I think a big part of his message was to rebel against the exclusivity of Esoteric Buddhism in those days. I think this was the same for Honen and Shinran. He was looking to open the path for all people, not just those who had the capacity and opportunity to become monks.

Well, Vajrayāna tends to create brahmins where there are none, for example Tibetan "ngakpas," especially when it comes to the earlier tantras, like those that spread to China and thence to Japan.

One of the attractive features of Indian Vajrayāna is that it took rituals like homavidhi, burnt offerings, away from brahmins and recontextualized them for Buddhists. For example, Anandagarbha has a whole argument detailing why Buddhist homavidhi is superior to Brahmin homavidhi.
Interesting. I'm sure you know, Homa/Goma is one of the highest practices in Tendai and Shingon - usually related to Fudo Myoo (Acalanatha). It is a wonder to consider this practice originated thousands of years ago and then was passed on to Japan.
However, Japan, unlike Tibet, was a highly organized society where central authorities were much more present in daily life. With Tibet, you had nomads, bandits, and people pretty much doing as they pleased in areas outside of immediate urban centers and great monastic institutions.

In this sort of Japanese environment, it is easy to see how Buddhism became stratified, and why, in the 13th century, populist forms of Buddhism arose. Actually, my read of Dogen, based on recent reading, was that he was engaged in an idiosyncratic pushback against the populism that exemplified Pure Land and Nichiren, as well as a reform movement aimed at introducing 13th century, Chinese style monastic Chan Buddhism into Japan.
There was another interesting fellow, Myo-e, a colorful aristocrat who pushed back against popular Pure Land and proposed the Komyo Shingon as a popular practice instead. I believe Nichiren was trying to do the same thing - make a popular practice that would bring people back to broader Mahayana.
In Tibet, exactly the opposite was happening—there was major institutional pushback against Buddhist populism, especially against the treasure tradition. Also, Mongols were invading... (Dogen also took credit for repelling the Mongols, BTW.)
Is this the conflict between Nyingma and Sarma? With Nyingma being the popular tradition?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm
But, that said, I think a big part of his message was to rebel against the exclusivity of Esoteric Buddhism in those days. I think this was the same for Honen and Shinran. He was looking to open the path for all people, not just those who had the capacity and opportunity to become monks.

Well, Vajrayāna tends to create brahmins where there are none, for example Tibetan "ngakpas," especially when it comes to the earlier tantras, like those that spread to China and thence to Japan.

One of the attractive features of Indian Vajrayāna is that it took rituals like homavidhi, burnt offerings, away from brahmins and recontextualized them for Buddhists. For example, Anandagarbha has a whole argument detailing why Buddhist homavidhi is superior to Brahmin homavidhi.
Interesting. I'm sure you know, Homa/Goma is one of the highest practices in Tendai and Shingon - usually related to Fudo Myoo (Acalanatha). It is a wonder to consider this practice originated thousands of years ago and then was passed on to Japan.
You can thank the Persians, they started it. :-)

Is this the conflict between Nyingma and Sarma? With Nyingma being the popular tradition?
The 13th century marked the beginning of institutional consolidation. But there were a number of populist trends in Tibet at the time, and yes, they were largely merged into modern Nyingma— especially the rise of the cult of Padmasambhava and the treasure tradition and the emphasis on Avalokiteśvara as the national savior.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Malcolm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:24 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:10 pm

You can thank the Persians, they started it. :-)

The 13th century marked the beginning of institutional consolidation. But there were a number of populist trends in Tibet at the time, and yes, they were largely merged into modern Nyingma— especially the rise of the cult of Padmasambhava and the treasure tradition and the emphasis on Avalokiteśvara as the national savior.
For me this is why i follow the Eternal Buddha's Lotus Buddhism and Nichiren Shonin's
Dharma...

He took what was there and mashed it all together in order for it to actually be a viable practice for the people of Mappo.

He did the will of the Buddha and the proof is in the puddin...

look at the Gakki and what they did for the great unwashed...they take flotsam and turn their lives into advanced practitioners of Lotus Buddhism..

Assuring Buddhahood...of course most are BOA...so it's all theatre for the masses...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Minobu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:02 pm
He took what was there and mashed it all together in order for it to actually be a viable practice for the people of Mappo.
Well, the tantras tell a different story about the best practice for "Mappo." YMMV. Whatever story you find most palatable.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 pm My personal opinion, and this is all it is, I think Nichiren had a much deeper interest in Shingon than he admits. Other than Kukai's judgment that in terms of profundity of teaching the Lotus ranks third (Avatamsaka second), he doesn't have much criticism to offer.
Sorry, who is the "he" in the last sentence? "he doesn't have much criticism to offer"?

Also, I realize this is a Nichiren forum so I won't say much but I think you're slighly misunderstanding Kukai here. I assume you are referencing Kukai's Ten Abodes of Mind? Which is about the practitioner and not the sutra/teachings. We had this discussion a long while back and don't need to rehash, but did want to voice a different perspective. You see a bit of this idea in his work on the Heart sutra:
Annotated Translation of Kukai's Secret Key to the Heart Sutra wrote: The eyes of a great physician see [the plants growing by] the wayside each as medicine [where others see only weeds]. A man who knows gemstones sees jewels [where others see only] rocks and stones....[Whether the content of a text is] exoteric or esoteric depends on the [discriminative ability of] the reader. It is not a matter of the sounds and letters [of that text]." (trans. Dreitelin, 2011)
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Malcolm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:01 pm
Well, the tantras tell a different story about the best practice for "Mappo." YMMV. Whatever story you find most palatable.
I don't really adhere to your idea that sutras are stories.

Of course you did say that The Dharmakaya Body is not a thing and went on to lecture on emptiness.

so i think you discard the existence part of emptiness and only focus on the nonexistence aspect...

The dharmakaya body is a body

the Sambhogakaya body is a body and the Nirmanakaya body is a body...true they all have the nature of emptiness but this does not mean they are not in any way a thing..

that being said the Buddha used his dharmakaya body to reveal the Lotus Sutra ...

And is there not some material about it not being written in pali so it came much after other sutras...hence it had to be the dharmakaya Body to produce it...

unless of course this malcolm take that lately you are on about it all being stories...which is ok i guess for some...YMMV
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Malcolm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:01 pm
When i asked rinpoche publically if my doing tantra as a householder would lead to enlightenment ..he replied no..
aslo you did the whole sit in a box thing for almost three years and what did it do for you.... .no better than most here.....so maybe Tantra is not suited for Mappo.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Buddha seeds and Buddha-nature

The Lotus Sutra states:

“If a person fails to have faith but instead slanders this sutra, immediately he will destroy all the seeds for becoming a Buddha in this world." -- LS Chapter 3

Many Sutras talk about scorched seeds. Some even teach that the Buddha seeds of women are scorched. The Lotus Sutra [through faith in the Sutra] can instantaneously revive the scorched seeds of Men of the Two Vehicles, of those who kill their father, of those who kill their mother, of those who cause disunity within the Sangha*, of those who kill an Arhat, and of those who injure a Buddha and cause him to bleed [these latter five circumstances are known as the Five Cardinal Sins]. However, the Lotus Sutra can not immediately revive the seeds of those who slander the true Dharma or the votaries of the Lotus Sutra. For example, despite repenting of their sins, submitting to, and following Neverdespise Bodhisattva, those who reviled him, for two hundred kotis of eons, neither encountered a Buddha nor the Dharma and they passed one thousand eons in the avici Hell. How much worse the fate of those who slander and revile Myoho renge kyo and its votaries?

*This does not apply at this time because there is no unity in the Sangha and therefore, there is no unity to break.

I'd like to talk a little about the concept of Buddha seeds [not to be confused with Buddha-nature] as explicated by Nichiren Daishonin:

“The Lotus Sutra is like the seed, the Buddha like the sower, and the people like the field.” — The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood.

Nichiren explains:

“Now in the two thousand years of the True and Counterfeit [Dharmas] when they kept and relied upon the Lesser Vehicle and Provisional Great Vehicle, and practices putting one’s merit [effort] into them, in general there was benefit. Even so, although everyone who practiced those various sutras thought that they obtained the benefit by the various sutras upon which they relied, when we inquire on the meaning by the Hokekyo, they had not one bit of benefit. What is the reason why? It being when the Buddha was in the world they formed a connecting condition with the Hokekyo but it depended upon whether or not there was maturation or not in their capacities. Those whose capacities of the Perfect Teaching are pure and matured in the time [when the Buddha] was in the world attained Buddhahood. Those whose faculties and capacities were faint and inferior [or not yet mature] backslid to the True Dharma [era] and took their realization from the Jomyo [Vimalakirti], Shiyaku, Kan[muryoju]kyo, Ninno hannya kyo and so on, just as when [the Buddha] was in the world. And so in the True Dharma [era] was jointly possessed together of the three, teaching, practice and realization.

“In the Counterfeit Dharma [era] there was teaching and practice but no realization. Now on entering the Latter Dharma there are the teachings, but there is no practice or realization. There is not one person of those who formed the connecting condition when the Buddha was in the world. The two capacities of the Provisional and Real [Teachings] are all gone. At this time for the two [types] of people who are of the rebellious [sins] and blasphemy of the present era for the first time one takes Namu Myoho renge kyo of the ‘Chapter of the Measure of Life’, the Essence of the Hommon as the laying down of the seed (or, as the Buddha Seed). “‘This good, excellent medicine now I leave here. You should take and swallow it. Do not worry that you will not be cured’” refers to this.

It is as when long ago in the Counterfeit Dharma [era] of the past Buddha Ionno when there was not one person who knew the Great Vehicle, the Bodhisattva Fukyo came forth and chanted the Twenty-four Characters which the Master of Teachings had preached. Those who heard those Twenty-four Characters not lacking one person also [later] encountered the Great Being (Mahasattva) Fukyo and obtained benefit. This then was because they made the previous hearing of the Dharma the laying down of the seed (geshu).

Now it is also like this. That was the Counterfeit Dharma; this is the polluted evil Latter Dharma. That was a practicer of the First (Elementary) Following Joy [level]; this is a worldling of the Name {Identity]. That was the laying down of seed of the Twenty-four Characters; this is only the Five Characters [of the Daimoku]. Although the times of obtaining the Way (tokudo: Buddhahood) are different, their ultimate meaning of Attaining Buddhahood would be completely the same.” (STN, v. 2, 1479-1480) Kyogyosho Gosho

“Though the people who say the Nembutsu, keep the precepts and so on are many, the persons who rely upon the Hokekyo are few. The stars are many but they do not illuminate the great sea. Grasses are many but they do not form the pillars of the Imperial Palace. Though Nembutsus are many, they are not the Way to become a Buddha. Though one keeps the precepts they do not form the seed for going to the Pure Land. It is only the Seven Characters ‘Namu Myoho renge kyo’ that are the seed for becoming a Buddha. Though, when I said this, people were jealous and did not adopt it, the late Lord Ueno by his believing it has become a Buddha.” (STN, v. 2, 1603) — Gosho unknown by me

There are two processes and two general types of people, according to Nichiren Daishonin: Those who received the seeds of Buddhahood in the past, those in the Higher Six Worlds; and those who never received the seeds, those in the Lower Four Worlds. For those who have already received the seeds, the Daimoku functions to water the seeds. For those who never received the seeds, hearing the Daimoku [Law] is the seed and practicing the Daimoku is the water. He states, “But many who neither received the seeds of Buddhahood nor formed ties with the Buddha in past existences…” and further along, “The sutra explains that all bodhisattvas, persons of the two vehicles, and human and heavenly beings received the seeds of Buddhahood numberless major world system dust particle kalpas ago.” Therefore, when he asserts, “If people do not possess innate Buddha wisdom, how could the Buddha say he wanted to open it? One must understand that Buddha wisdom is inherent in all human beings.” [Even in those in the Four Lower Worlds who do not possess the Buddha seeds]. How do we reconcile these seemingly diverse teachings? Buddha-nature is the FIELD of good fortune synonymous with Buddha wisdom in all beings but without the Buddha seeds and water of Myoho renge kyo, the field will lie fallow and Buddhahood will never open [manifest].
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Minobu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:54 pm Aslo you did the whole sit in a box thing for almost three years and what did it do for you...
Some of the best years of my life, it was nearly four, and no, I did not sit in a box. That is not really a thing in my tradition.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

illarraza wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 pm
*This does not apply at this time because there is no unity in the Sangha and therefore, there is no unity to break.
Sanghabheda, causing a schism in the Sangha can still occur. But only a bhikṣu can commit this downfall. See Abhidharmakoṣa, 4.100.
“Now in the two thousand years of the True and Counterfeit [Dharmas] when they kept and relied upon the Lesser Vehicle and Provisional Great Vehicle, and practices putting one’s merit [effort] into them, in general there was benefit.
These five hundred year periods only apply to Sūtrayāna. They don't apply to Vajrayāna at all. But, this is your forum, you can believe whatever story makes you the most happy.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

jake wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:18 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 pm My personal opinion, and this is all it is, I think Nichiren had a much deeper interest in Shingon than he admits. Other than Kukai's judgment that in terms of profundity of teaching the Lotus ranks third (Avatamsaka second), he doesn't have much criticism to offer.
Sorry, who is the "he" in the last sentence? "he doesn't have much criticism to offer"?
Nichiren
Also, I realize this is a Nichiren forum so I won't say much but I think you're slighly misunderstanding Kukai here. I assume you are referencing Kukai's Ten Abodes of Mind? Which is about the practitioner and not the sutra/teachings. We had this discussion a long while back and don't need to rehash, but did want to voice a different perspective. You see a bit of this idea in his work on the Heart sutra:
Annotated Translation of Kukai's Secret Key to the Heart Sutra wrote: The eyes of a great physician see [the plants growing by] the wayside each as medicine [where others see only weeds]. A man who knows gemstones sees jewels [where others see only] rocks and stones....[Whether the content of a text is] exoteric or esoteric depends on the [discriminative ability of] the reader. It is not a matter of the sounds and letters [of that text]." (trans. Dreitelin, 2011)
Yes. I recall. And Eijo got upset and hasn't been back since.

I understand the Shingon perspective that the jujushin is not a sectarian critique. That doesn't mean its not taken that way by others outside the tradition. It relates certain levels of mind with certain teachings, and presents these levels of mind in terms of their relative profundity. Its like a New Yorker talking about how great the culture is New York, that Boston is OK, too, while DC is just the pits, but, no offense - that's just a objective fact that NY has the most and best culture.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm

Yes. I recall. And Eijo got upset and hasn't been back since.
DW is a ghost town.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pmthat's just a objective fact that NY has the most and best culture.
Right, and it gave us Trump. :rolling: Good going NY.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pmthat's just a objective fact that NY has the most and best culture.
Right, and it gave us Trump. :rolling: Good going NY.
We've exiled him. Where he can be with all the other Florida Mans.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:59 pm
Minobu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:54 pm Aslo you did the whole sit in a box thing for almost three years and what did it do for you...
Some of the best years of my life, it was nearly four, and no, I did not sit in a box. That is not really a thing in my tradition.
We all spend our entire lives living in a small, dark, calcium box perched on top of a fragile neck, “and what did it do for you?”
...yet nobody seems to take issue with that.

Likewise, many people will spend 3 years of their lives sitting in cars stopped in traffic. Nobody thinks that’s weird (well, some of us think it is!).

A Buddhist three-year retreat makes a lot of sense, actually.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:59 am
We all spend our entire lives living in a small, dark, calcium box perched on top of a fragile neck, “and yet, what did it do for you ?”
But nobody seems to take issue with that.

Likewise, many people will spend 3 years of their lives sitting in cars stopped in traffic. Nobody thinks that’s weird (well, some of us think it is!).

For some. I don’t really recommend it, though.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:05 am

We all spend our entire lives living in a small, dark, calcium box perched on top of a fragile neck, “and yet, what did it do for you ?”

...well, compared with spending 8,760 hours sitting in a stopped car on a freeway...
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:07 am
Malcolm wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:05 am

Even so….most people can’t manage the transition…
...well, compared with spending 8,760 hours sitting in a stopped car on a freeway...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

illarraza wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:59 pm There are two processes and two general types of people, according to Nichiren Daishonin: Those who received the seeds of Buddhahood in the past, those in the Higher Six Worlds; and those who never received the seeds, those in the Lower Four Worlds. For those who have already received the seeds, the Daimoku functions to water the seeds. For those who never received the seeds, hearing the Daimoku [Law] is the seed and practicing the Daimoku is the water. He states, “But many who neither received the seeds of Buddhahood nor formed ties with the Buddha in past existences…” and further along, “The sutra explains that all bodhisattvas, persons of the two vehicles, and human and heavenly beings received the seeds of Buddhahood numberless major world system dust particle kalpas ago.” Therefore, when he asserts, “If people do not possess innate Buddha wisdom, how could the Buddha say he wanted to open it? One must understand that Buddha wisdom is inherent in all human beings.” [Even in those in the Four Lower Worlds who do not possess the Buddha seeds]. How do we reconcile these seemingly diverse teachings? Buddha-nature is the FIELD of good fortune synonymous with Buddha wisdom in all beings but without the Buddha seeds and water of Myoho renge kyo, the field will lie fallow and Buddhahood will never open [manifest].
The higher six worlds - Human, Deva, Sravaka, Pratyekabuddha, Bodhisattva, Buddha. Four lower worlds - Hell, Preta, Animal, Asura.

All human beings inhabit the Human realm, and above. So, according to your explanation, practice for others would basically be reciting the daimoku to our pets, the birds and squirrels.

That doesn't hold up.

Nichiren clearly maintained that there are human beings who have never made a connection with a buddha. In the scheme of things, this does not hold up. If the Lotus is the definitive teaching, then Shakyamuni's clear assertion that he is constantly in the world appearing to living beings in various forms, as the dynamic awakening function, must be accepted. One cannot arbitrarily decide which words are authoritative and which are not.

Something is confused. I think Nichiren himself didn't have it all worked out from the start and fumbled around to work it out, and never got it right.

His most compelling works, what makes the most sense, were the 5 major writings. In those you get a more coherent picture of his mature teaching, if you gloss over the stuff that just doesn't make sense.

The whole - planting seeds for the first time part, Buddhism of sowing and Buddhism of harvest, though, just doesn't hold up. Internally it doesn't hold up, externally it doesn't hold up unless he is really saying, throw all of it out and just honor the title. In which case, why is he bothering with these copious explanations with citations to works that should just be disregarded? There is a point to those teachings of Nichiren, I suspect, but holding them too literally doesn't work. No teaching grasped as essential works. Its all upaya and has to be understood that way. Something for the context of the moment.

And here comes my main criticism of Nichiren and his movement - by framing Nichiren as a prophet, the vitality of the teaching was smothered. If he is an infallible authority, then there can no longer be any development or evolution - just endless attempts to make sense of the prophet's words. That's just rationalization and apologetics. If the Nichiren movement is going to regain vitality, its going to need to tap into the spirit of the ideas, not just the founder's words. Nichiren is going to need to be understood as a work in progress. But that's not really a great approach to building a religious movement. Not lucrative. Not conducive to a flow of alms. I see why they deified him. Bruce Maltz pointed this out to me a long time ago, but I couldn't take it at the time.

Here is what I take from it - observe the mind. Everything else will fall into place. Most of it will just fall away. The greatest thing Nichiren did, IMHO, was plant a giant marker, this stupa of massive proportions, in the landscape of the popular imagination, directing people who are lost in the tumult of samsara, to the Ekayana. The genius of the teaching really is appropriate for Mappo - make this massive stupa that inspires awe and reverence in even people who have no capacity to understand it, to feel compelled to honor it, and preserve it, and pass it on to others. Implicit in the stupa builder's intention is the trust that there will be those who have the capacity to understand it, who will follow that marker through the storm of samsara, to the refuge of the teachings. Nichiren described the Daimoku as an amulet tied around people's necks. Its like a dog tag that you put on your pet so they don't get lost. The difference with a dog tag, though, is the trust that the being wearing the amulet will accumulate the merit to read the dog tag eventually. Until then, hold tight to that amulet.

The words of Brahma that encouraged the Buddha to teach, to plant the Dharma in the imaginations of human beings:

Lord, let the Blessed One teach the Dhamma! Let the One-Well-Gone teach the Dhamma! There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.

Nichiren planted a giant stupa on the Dharma. And what is the Dharma? The teachings on observing the mind.
Last edited by Queequeg on Wed May 26, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:43 pm
And here comes my main criticism of Nichiren and his movement
Uh oh...get ready for for the fire and brimstone response QQ. We'll have some nice BBQ waiting for you when you arrive in Avici. :-)

Return to “Nichiren”