Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Did Nichiren Shonin create an entirely different Buddhism for our time

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:10 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:04 pm
Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:02 pm

And your point to this.
Do the work, control the conduct, get the results.
Ok.

The thing is , and i think this very important.

You cannot make it a goal for the Buddha to start teaching you the esoteric.

Like ok maybe next week. It's like waiting to win the lottery from chanting for it.
It would only cause you anxiety, for it might not happen in this or the next life.

So this is why Nichiren prolly left this aspect out .

If I figured this out I'm sure He knew.

the other problem is that we are not being taught this at all.
In fact some think even having a statue of Buddha on your altar is some form of slander, let alone use the word meditate.

Once this is solved maybe we all can get back together and stop the argy bargy.
"You can chant for personal happiness and world peace. And by the way, if you do it right, the Buddha will appear to you as a flaming demon to blow your mind."

Yes, they're totally irresponsible for not including that last part.

Please note - that is 95% joke. Except there are those documents written by Nichiren claiming he was visited by Fudo Myoo and Aizen Myoo. And those two wisdom kings are included on most gohonzon.
Last edited by Queequeg on Mon May 24, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

The other problem is , this is Mappo.

Sentients are a whole other paradigm than the time of Gotama Buddha.

I see other sects and the results...

Lots of learning , but no miracles like what we experience.

I got upset over a few things that happened with rinpoche.

One biggy.

You all know about my father and his recovery..

So this woman shows up with a kid with cancer at a Medicine Buddha Initiation at the gompa.

So i'm like cool this is going to work.

Few days later the kid died.

I asked rinpoche about this and he said, "Well I was told the next day he was in her backyard kicking a soccer ball around ".

end of discussion...

that was it for me...

i ended up trying out christianity...

then came back to this.

i learned a lot in those years with Rinpoche and i highly respect Him.

i never saw anyone healed from Medicine Buddha but many from being in the Soka Gakki.

It's the "Time ' my friends It's Mappo and the medicine is The Lotus Sutra...

I truly believe Nichiren Shonin's Dharma is the way to go at this time..

As a base practice

If you wish , like me , to do other practices, those need to be secoundary...

my take on it.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm
Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:10 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Do the work, control the conduct, get the results.
Ok.

The thing is , and i think this very important.

You cannot make it a goal for the Buddha to start teaching you the esoteric.

Like ok maybe next week. It's like waiting to win the lottery from chanting for it.
It would only cause you anxiety, for it might not happen in this or the next life.

So this is why Nichiren prolly left this aspect out .

If I figured this out I'm sure He knew.

the other problem is that we are not being taught this at all.
In fact some think even having a statue of Buddha on your altar is some form of slander, let alone use the word meditate.

Once this is solved maybe we all can get back together and stop the argy bargy.
"You can chant for personal happiness and world peace. And by the way, if you do it right, the Buddha will appear to you as a flaming demon to blow your mind."

Yes, they're totally irresponsible for not including that last part.

Please note - that is 95% joke. Except there are those documents written by Nichiren claiming he was visited by Fudo Myoo and Aizen Myoo. And those two wisdom kings are included on most gohonzon.
ok the 95% was not there originally when i wanted to post this...

I think it's much deeper than irresponsibility.

It's Mara blinding the high command.

the whole sansho shima thing..

Look at what people like KeithA here think of us..

that's not down to irresponsibility...It's Mara or sansho shima or the Whole Obstacle thing when the going gets good..

what do you mean by 95% joke...it's lost on me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If you don't get the joke, it wasn't meant for you. I'll offer this as my explanation:

Some aspects of practice are not meant to be discussed on the internet.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:41 pm
tkp67 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:58 pm Yes because the entry way to the storehouse of buddha wisdom is faith. Everything else is extraneous to the mind observing the true aspect or myoho renge kyo.
No. Not extraneous. At least that's my opinion. Within the Nichiren community there is disagreement about Trace and Original teachings. The groups you are associated with privilege the Original Teachings and take the slogan of dropping the provisional literally. IMO, its a poorly considered view because you knee cap yourself and actually end up with a Honen type heresy of dismissing everything but the single practice you select.
One does not need to recite every writing by every master that existed in the lineage of Lotus teachings to recognize and honor them.
Doctrinal mastery is not buddhism it is doctrinal mastery.
As I was saying... your denigration of learning I think says more about you.

Nichiren, on the other hand, spent a lot of time in lecture halls and libraries. He seemed to think that mastery of Buddhist doctrine was pretty important. To quote the master,
Learning is relative to learning capacity.

There is another aspect to this that transcends the typical perspectives on this manner.

I had read about a Japanese woman who studied diligently since she was a child, was considered in high regard for such efforts. FWIU she still had not been able to complete all doctrine to be understood. It grows with time so at some point to digest everything that can be traced to the world honored buddha will become impossible on an individual basis.

At close to 50 years old when I read this it became apparent I was not going to be able to accomplish as much even if I had the highest learning capacity. This is why I center my studies on the writings, the lotus and the pertinent commentary of others sutras.
Exert yourself in the two ways of practice and study. Without practice and study, there can be no Buddhism. You must not only persevere yourself; you must also teach others. Both practice and study arise from faith. Teach others to the best of your ability, even if it is only a single sentence or phrase. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
Shoho Jisso Sho emphasis added

You can't teach others if you don't know yourself. If you teach without mastery, then you're just sharing your own confusion and causing confusion to proliferate. THAT is how you bring the flow of Dharma to an end.
Discussing the proper interpretive from the writings and the lotus is simply that. If there was a teacher to be had here they would give a perfect exposition on the teaching that would quell all minds but those that do not believe in the teaching.

If there is a difference that can be over come with doctrine then the exposition of such should simply be executed.

There is no difference in terms to sentient value between designations such as peasant and emperor. Shakyamuni was clear about making all sentient beings equal. Nichiren responded with this teaching.
In theory, we are all sentient beings, endowed with Buddhanature, but that does not erase distinctions in relative merit between beings. Shakyamuni expressed his wish to make all beings equal to himself, ie. lead them to become buddhas, not that we're all equal because we are conditioned, deluded sentient beings.

At the conclusion of the Upaya Chapter he states:
All of you, have no further doubts!
Let great joy arise in your hearts
And know that you will all become buddhas!
and at the end of the Life Span Chapter he states:
Always aware of which sentient beings
Practice the path and which do not,
I teach the Dharma in various ways,
According to their ability to be saved.
I am always thinking:
By what means can I cause sentient beings to be able to
Enter the highest path
And quickly attain the Dharma?
He is clearly referring to sentient beings who are not all of equal merit. He however takes as a given that all have equal capacity to attain buddhahood.

This isn't some mushy headed "everyone is equal" idealism. Buddhahood is hard. Its the capacity for Buddhahood that makes sentient beings worthy of respect, the capacity for perfection, not some intrinsic perfection, and certainly not their conditioned state. Many of us are not worthy of respect for the way we conduct ourselves. Our Buddhanature makes us worthy of respect. See the Sadaparibhuta Chapter of the Lotus Sutra (Never Disparaging).
There is no separation between latent and manifest capacity in terms of sentient value except in the conditioned mind.

Now since you reference that chapter remember bodhisattva never disparage was Shakyamuni and he reported expending an existence bowing to everyone claiming their buddhahood.

It was this behavior as a human being that reperesents the "original gateway" does it not?

As Nichiren argued, the gate is faith. Better to develop single minded devotion to the Daimoku than speculate about the meaning of the conversation you only hear a part of.
It seems as if you expect me to put more value on people of learning than those without that capacity. I respectfully fail to depreciate my equanimity.
Nope. I'm saying, just making shit up is not a fruitful path. If the choice is between making shit up and developing single minded devotion to the daimoku, opt for the latter.[/quote]

Making what up? A difference in perspective? Having proofed my understanding with the Lotus and a teacher? A specific statement as categorically untrue?

Where has my perspective differed from those who solely practice Nichiren buddhism? The only people questioning my perspective admittedly no longer gain the same benefit form this Buddhism and have deviated elsewhere. Nichiren taught against this.

I don't draw a line between the Nichiren interests regardless of how they perceive Nichiren so I don't see how there is a case for the discord you are expressing.
Faith is really meant to dissolve into a lack of doubt because there is no action in lack. This is accomplished through diligent practice according to a person's capacity, conditions and causes.

There is no intellectual high tower that can destroy the diamond precept of the daimoku.
You really need to go and study what your master taught.

Faith comes first.
Who said faith doesn't come first? What makes you think that statement denies this?

life and death are inseparable AND yet still sequential. Those traits don't change the phenomenon but if one things something inseparable cannot be sequential it will sound unreasonable.

:anjali: :heart:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

The other thing i notice for those who practice Nichiren Shonin's Dharma is the level of compassion in the adherents.
It's outstanding and a true litmus test.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:03 pm

Where has my perspective differed from those who solely practice Nichiren buddhism? The only people questioning my perspective admittedly no longer gain the same benefit form this Buddhism and have deviated elsewhere. Nichiren taught against this.

You are the one that reminds us of capacity .

Just because there are other practices that one would receive from Buddha whilst practicing True Buddhism , does not mean it's a deviation.

Enlightenment is a physical thing when it happens..there are certain physiological aspects to it is what i mean.

The chakras are physical , they grow in the fetus along with everything else.

Q pointed out two very esoteric characters on gohonzon , Fudo and Myodo and all they bring to the table.

The Four Kings are esoteric as well as is MyoHo RenGe Kyo.

capacity TKP67 you are the one more than anyone i know who realizes this aspect of our practice.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:42 pm If you don't get the joke, it wasn't meant for you. I'll offer this as my explanation:

Actually back in the day when something happened pre rev Iwakki..i would get immediate cold sores popping up on my face...like within the hour.

due to ego and voicing stuff.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:42 pm
Indeed it seems to have upset TKP67 ...

very complex..
Some things just should not be said...

but then we get the whole irresponsible action of calling things slander which leads people to think it's a deviation from the intent of Nichiren Shonin's Dharma.

The high command ...always there egos and lust for power .....

what did the psychedelic furs say about it..

There are too many kings wanna hold you down.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:41 pm No. Not extraneous. At least that's my opinion. Within the Nichiren community there is disagreement about Trace and Original teachings. The groups you are associated with privilege the Original Teachings and take the slogan of dropping the provisional literally. IMO, its a poorly considered view because you knee cap yourself and actually end up with a Honen type heresy of dismissing everything but the single practice you select.
One does not need to recite every writing by every master that existed in the lineage of Lotus teachings to recognize and honor them.
What? I really don't understand how that is a relevant response. That goes for most of your reply.
There is no separation between latent and manifest capacity in terms of sentient value except in the conditioned mind.
I'm not talking about value. And, actually, there is a distinction between latent and manifest effect. That's why they're distinguished.
Now since you reference that chapter remember bodhisattva never disparage was Shakyamuni and he reported expending an existence bowing to everyone claiming their buddhahood.

It was this behavior as a human being that reperesents the "original gateway" does it not?
Not quite. You're referring to this:
Thus even a ruler on a throne must take care not to give unreserved expression to his thoughts. The worthy man Confucius held to his belief “Nine thoughts to one word,” which means that he reconsidered nine times before he spoke. Tan, the Duke of Chou, was so earnest in receiving callers that he would wring out his hair three times in the course of washing it, or spit out his food three times in the course of a meal [in order not to keep them waiting]. Consider this carefully so that you will have no cause to reproach me later. What is called Buddhism is found in this behavior.

The heart of the Buddha’s lifetime of teachings is the Lotus Sutra, and the heart of the practice of the Lotus Sutra is found in the “Never Disparaging” chapter. What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging’s profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being.
Not quite the actions. It was the thought behind the actions that mattered.

As is often said, karma is intention. It was because Sadaparibhuta believed that all beings have buddhanature that he bowed to them. Shakyamuni appeared and taught beings because he knew all beings have buddhanature. That words and actions are derivative of the thought. So again, its the thought, faith, that finds expression as words and actions. Faith comes first.
Making what up? A difference in perspective? Having proofed my understanding with the Lotus and a teacher? A specific statement as categorically untrue?
You're constantly making it up as you go along and constantly getting corrected.

I don't draw a line between the Nichiren interests regardless of how they perceive Nichiren so I don't see how there is a case for the discord you are expressing.
TKP the authority on all things Nichiren.

Tell, me, lurking Nichirenites, does this guy speak for all of you?
Who said faith doesn't come first? What makes you think that statement denies this?
You keep putting action before intent in all of your explanations.
life and death are inseparable AND yet still sequential. Those traits don't change the phenomenon but if one things something inseparable cannot be sequential it will sound unreasonable.
I cannot make sense of that prose. Sorry.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

sooo
I don't get this whole before Nichiren Shonin we did not have the seed to Buddhahood AKA Tathgatgharba..

where does this come from...

we all have always had the seed to Buddhahood.

the whole Lord Sakyamuni Buddha is the harvest and under Nichiren shonin it's the first time this batch of people got the seed and only if they hear the ODaimoku...

or am i confusing things...

before replying my stand is we all have the seed to Buddhahood implanted in us due to The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:05 pm sooo
I don't get this whole before Nichiren Shonin we did not have the seed to Buddhahood AKA Tathgatgharba..

the whole Lord Sakyamuni Buddha is the harvest and under Nichiren shonin it's the first time this batch of people got the seed and only if they hear the ODaimoku...

before replying my stand is we all have the seed to Buddhahood implanted in us due to The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni.
It seems, Nichiren was talking specifically about one of three aspects of Buddhanature.

The three are Buddhanature as Direct Cause, the true aspect of reality, the Complete Cause, our ability to clearly know the true aspect, and the Variable Cause - the practices we undertake to awaken. Nichiren seems to have been talking about the Complete Cause which requires one to hear the teaching (from a Buddha, or alternatively, his envoy).
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:52 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:41 pm No. Not extraneous. At least that's my opinion. Within the Nichiren community there is disagreement about Trace and Original teachings. The groups you are associated with privilege the Original Teachings and take the slogan of dropping the provisional literally. IMO, its a poorly considered view because you knee cap yourself and actually end up with a Honen type heresy of dismissing everything but the single practice you select.
What? I really don't understand how that is a relevant response. That goes for most of your reply.
In order to evaluate trace and original one needs the capacity, cause and conditions to do so. Digesting that knowledge completely does not guarantee it will lead to any meaningful understanding. The individual relevance of dharma teachings isn't measured by the teaching but the conditions, capacity and cause of the individual.

Capacity for liberation does not nor need be equal to one's capacity to digest the teachings beyond what is applicable in the moment.

Nichiren wrote goshos encouraging different levels of engagement based on a person's capacity. He aided his follows without discrimination due to learning capacity.

I'm not talking about value. And, actually, there is a distinction between latent and manifest effect. That's why they're distinguished.
Well I am not talking about distinction between latent and manifest effect. I made it clear this was in accord to Shakyamuni's desire to make all sentient beings equal.

Sentient life is the only true important element here for which Shakymanui expressed pure equanimity. The distinctions between latent and manifest effect don't denote the value of sentient life itself. If it did why would the buddha seek to make all beings equal if they weren't? So some might figure it out and the rest perpetually be reborn in hell?

Everything Shakyamuni taught was ultimately for the purpose of liberating sentient beings. The lotus sutra represents the vehicle without distinction capable of saving all beings.

It guess these subtle discriminatory limits that are beyond by capacity to recognize are relative to the mind perceiving them. :shrug:

Not quite. You're referring to this:
Thus even a ruler on a throne must take care not to give unreserved expression to his thoughts. The worthy man Confucius held to his belief “Nine thoughts to one word,” which means that he reconsidered nine times before he spoke. Tan, the Duke of Chou, was so earnest in receiving callers that he would wring out his hair three times in the course of washing it, or spit out his food three times in the course of a meal [in order not to keep them waiting]. Consider this carefully so that you will have no cause to reproach me later. What is called Buddhism is found in this behavior.

The heart of the Buddha’s lifetime of teachings is the Lotus Sutra, and the heart of the practice of the Lotus Sutra is found in the “Never Disparaging” chapter. What does Bodhisattva Never Disparaging’s profound respect for people signify? The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behavior as a human being.
Not quite the actions. It was the thought behind the actions that mattered.

As is often said, karma is intention. It was because Sadaparibhuta believed that all beings have buddhanature that he bowed to them. Shakyamuni appeared and taught beings because he knew all beings have buddhanature. That words and actions are derivative of the thought. So again, its the thought, faith, that finds expression as words and actions. Faith comes first.
Actually I was quoting the LS bodhisattva never disparage chapter directly because everything Nichiren taught is proofed by it. Since so much is not reliable in so many eyes I proof everything he says through the lotus. How is my statement falsified by the sutra itself?
“Gainer of Great Authority, what do you think? The bodhisattva Never Disparaging who lived at that time—could he be unknown to you? In fact he was none other than I myself! If in my previous existences I had not accepted, upheld, read, and recited this sutra and preached it for others, I would never have been able to attain supreme perfect enlightenment this quickly. Because in the presence of those earlier buddhas I accepted, upheld, read, and recited this sutra and preached it for others, I was able quickly to attain supreme perfect enlightenment.

“Gainer of Great Authority, at that time the four kinds of believers, the monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen, because anger arose in their minds and they treated me with disparagement and contempt, were for two hundred million kalpas never p.311able to encounter a buddha, to hear the Law, or to see the community of monks. For a thousand kalpas they underwent great suffering in the Avichi hell. After they had finished paying for their offenses, they once more encountered the bodhisattva Never Disparaging, who instructed them in supreme perfect enlightenment.
You're constantly making it up as you go along and constantly getting corrected.
How do you know what I make up versus how I perceive the world? Doubting how genuine is doubt. I don't engage in such thought processes in light of the louts.

If you have a list of corrections where it perceived that I have made it up I would gladly be receptive to seeing it. Without proof it becomes nothing but an empty accusation to me if I am not making it up. Have you considered as much? Do you know me well enough to understand this?

TKP the authority on all things Nichiren.

Tell, me, lurking Nichirenites, does this guy speak for all of you?
I asked where did I speak against them. I have been very clear I speak on my own behalf and accept all detriment in doing so. If my head needs to be split in 7 pieces or swords be cast I suggest a great gathering of minds do so.
You keep putting action before intent in all of your explanations.

It would seem that way when quoted out of context.
I cannot make sense of that prose. Sorry.
If nothing else I commend your consistent manner.

:anjali: :heart:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:22 pm
Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:05 pm sooo

It seems, Nichiren was talking specifically about one of three aspects of Buddhanature.

The three are Buddhanature as Direct Cause, the true aspect of reality, the Complete Cause, our ability to clearly know the true aspect, and the Variable Cause - the practices we undertake to awaken. Nichiren seems to have been talking about the Complete Cause which requires one to hear the teaching (from a Buddha, or alternatively, his envoy).
wow thats awesome.

So was this teaching distorted in shoshu?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:37 pm So was this teaching distorted in shoshu?
Its Nichiren. He teaches this in Kanjin no Honzon sho - Object of devotion for observing the mind.

Its a unique way to look at things.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tkp67 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:30 pm If it did why would the buddha seek to make all beings equal if they weren't?
QQ already addressed your misreading of the LS on this point.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:09 pm
tkp67 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:30 pm If it did why would the buddha seek to make all beings equal if they weren't?
Not according to the teachings.

The true aspect is not separable from nine realms. Bodhisattva never disparage is not separate from Shaymauni.

Insisting development isn't relative to one's existence is unreasonable thus it does not define sentient value outside of that context. That is the value is merely relative to one's own development.

Shakyamuni's lotus is one of perfected equanimity. How it is expressed is based on an individuals conditions, causes and capacity within that lifetime. To see their progress as having value outside of that is a comparison that is no longer relative thus no longer relevant.

A reasonable point which will have two distinct appearances based on how the teaching is perceived. Is it deserving of a thread of its own since it is deviating a bit from the topic.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tkp67 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:30 pm
Yes, according to the teachings.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:38 pm

You must never think that any of the eighty thousand sacred teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha’s lifetime or any of the Buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions and three existences are outside yourself. Your practice of the Buddhist teachings will not relieve you of the sufferings of birth and death in the least unless you perceive the true nature of your life. If you seek enlightenment outside yourself, then your performing even ten thousand practices and ten thousand good deeds will be in vain. It is like the case of a poor man who spends night and day counting his neighbor’s wealth but gains not even half a coin. That is why the T’ien-t’ai school’s commentary states, “Unless p.4one perceives the nature of one’s life, one cannot eradicate one’s grave offenses.”2 This passage implies that, unless one perceives the nature of one’s life, one’s practice will become an endless, painful austerity.
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/1

On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime

Outside of one's self also includes working outside of ones own causes, conditions and capacities.
“Shariputra, the buddhas preach the Law in accordance with what is appropriate, but the meaning is difficult to understand.

Expedient Means
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Buddha did not seek to make all beings equal. Your answer, as usual, is a complete a total non-sequitur.

QQ already refuted you on this point.

tkp67 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Malcolm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:38 pm

You must never think that any of the eighty thousand sacred teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha’s lifetime or any of the Buddhas and bodhisattvas of the ten directions and three existences are outside yourself. Your practice of the Buddhist teachings will not relieve you of the sufferings of birth and death in the least unless you perceive the true nature of your life. If you seek enlightenment outside yourself, then your performing even ten thousand practices and ten thousand good deeds will be in vain. It is like the case of a poor man who spends night and day counting his neighbor’s wealth but gains not even half a coin. That is why the T’ien-t’ai school’s commentary states, “Unless p.4one perceives the nature of one’s life, one cannot eradicate one’s grave offenses.”2 This passage implies that, unless one perceives the nature of one’s life, one’s practice will become an endless, painful austerity.
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/1

On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime

Outside of one's self also includes working outside of ones own causes, conditions and capacities.
“Shariputra, the buddhas preach the Law in accordance with what is appropriate, but the meaning is difficult to understand.

Expedient Means

Return to “Nichiren”