The Relationship between Nirvana and Buddhahood: what constitutes a true extinction?

reiun

Re: The Relationship between Nirvana and Buddhahood: what constitutes a true extinction?

Post by reiun »

The fact that mistranslations are reported to be so widespread is a 🚩 on what many unwittingly believe or have been taught. If a student is mainly academic-oriented, this is a major problem of which he or she may be unaware. How to figure where to put trust?
Malcolm

Re: The Relationship between Nirvana and Buddhahood: what constitutes a true extinction?

Post by Malcolm »

reiun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 pm The fact that mistranslations are reported to be so widespread is a 🚩 on what many unwittingly believe or have been taught. If a student is mainly academic-oriented, this is a major problem of which he or she may be unaware. How to figure where to put trust?
One needs to rely on newer translations, if one is not inclined to learn languages.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

reiun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:48 pm Don't worry Malcolm, we can deal with delusions. After all, we are Buddhists!
(I guess, with an orientation and commitment to practice, I was lucky to sidestep this academic quagmire . . .)
I am not an academic; but for example, relying on deficient translations, the Dharma becomes like the telephone game...and you know how that always ends.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Once we played telephone in class. And went all around. It always got messed up. But when “I Love you” was the phrase, it went all around unhindered and unchanged.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:58 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Nirvana is a cessation, an absence of a cause for further arising. It is not an annihilation, an extinction, nor an extinguishing….
….in Mahayana.
In all schools.
Sautantrikas?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:53 pm
….in Mahayana.
In all schools.
Sautantrikas?
Yes.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:36 pm

In all schools.
Sautantrikas?
Yes.
From 2/8/2020:

https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=80
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:56 pm Well technically, annihilation or total extinguishing of the kleshas is accurate.
Technically, it is not. For āryas, afflictions no longer cause action, and so suffering ceases. In general, in Abhidharma, where we find the most detailed description of afflictions and so, they are abandoned, exhausted, etc, not annihilated or extinguished.
But an arya is not the same as a Buddha
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 pm
Sautantrikas?
Yes.
From 2/8/2020:

:good:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

reiun wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Yes.
From 2/8/2020:

:good:
Mahayanis agree with Sauntantra that cessations are pure absence of causes. They disagree with the consequence of such a cessation, and criticize the Sautranta school for asserting cessation to be nonexistence.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:28 pm I am not an academic . . .
So: no PhD, published papers, books, etc.? And no need for attributions we could learn from, either.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

reiun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:28 pm I am not an academic . . .
So: no PhD, published papers, books, etc.? And no need for attributions we could learn from, either.
https://wisdomexperience.org/content-au ... olm-smith/

Anyway, I think a part of this question (at least for me as someone with limited scholarly abilities and language skills) is open disclosure of the translator's method. I don't object to somewhat "poetic" versions of things on principle necessarily, I just want to know if that's what's going on.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
reiun

Post by reiun »

In fact, an academic, insofar as holding a degree in his field, and having published. What to make of this
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

reiun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 am In fact, an academic, insofar as holding a degree in his field, and having published. What to make of this
No, I am not an academic. I have a nonwestern, traditional education, not an academic education in a Western University, other than a couple of years of random courses at an extension school, into which I never matriculated for a degree,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

reiun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:21 am In fact, an academic, insofar as holding a degree in his field, and having published. What to make of this
Buddhist scholar does not always equal "academic" in my experience.

There are lots of published authors with extensive educations in Dharma that I wouldn't call academics. I have a teacher that is in a similar place, extremely well educated in Dharma subjects, educated up to masters in his Western education, has done some translation work, but he does not act like academic and does not interact with others as one, including students.

This teacher is also a Sakya Loppon in fact, I am not sure he would view that education as an 'academic' one in the sense we normally use the word.

When I hear "academic" in Buddhist scholarship I first think of people conducting historical research from a mostly Western linear-historical point of view.

-Khunu Lama
reiun

Post by reiun »

Good to know that nonwestern=non-scholarly. But then that raises the issue of questioning historical, scholarly works from that perspective. Certainly this is not an issue of false humility on your part, but without lines of specific attribution, and a rationale why texts are bad only because they are old and well-established, a question may arise.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

reiun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 am Good to know that nonwestern=non-scholarly.
It just means that a Buddhist education has different priorities than a Western one, not that it's not scholarly. I've talked with Khenpos and Loppon's just enough to say I think this is definitely so, it's certainly scholarly, but it's not really academic in the Western sense because it's well...not an education which is part of the Western "Academy", and in fact involves some suppositions that are not accepted, and presumably sometimes not even respected by the Western academic culture.

The difference in translations is most noticeable the farther back you go...read some of the oldest translations of the Dhammapada for a really good example. By today's standards they are just straight up unacceptable, they do things like translate Sangha as "church", affliction as "sin" and similar. Even a lot of translations from the 60's and 70's are off that way by today's standards.

It's a clumsy and obvious example, but the less the translator really understands the cultural and spiritual meaning of words, the more you get stuff like that.

-Khunu Lama
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

reiun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 am Good to know that nonwestern=non-scholarly. But then that raises the issue of questioning historical, scholarly works from that perspective. Certainly this is not an issue of false humility on your part, but without lines of specific attribution, and a rationale why texts are bad only because they are old and well-established, a question may arise.
I think what makes a translation bad is inaccuracy. Poetry of language comes second.

As an aside, western academics in Buddhist studies, more often than not, don't have a comprehensive training in Dharma itself. Rarely do they even speak the language in question. Their training is quite different than what you get from buddhist masters and scholars of Dharma (as opposed to scholars who are only trained in western universities). Imagine asking a western academic who doesn't practice very much and isn't trained in zen to translate a zen text. I'm not sure it will be very good.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

reiun wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:00 am Good to know that nonwestern=non-scholarly.
That’s not what I said, despite whatever conclusion you may have drawn. The point is that the term this thread is predicated upon is mistranslated when it is rendered “extinction.”
reiun

Post by reiun »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:27 pm One needs to rely on newer translations
And what cut-off year are you willing to recommend?

Return to “Nichiren”