lockdowns on Nichiren site .

KeithA

Re: lockdowns on Nichiren site .

Post by KeithA »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 am
KeithA wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:47 am It happens a lot in the Zen forum, as well. Moderation is hard, and very time consuming. Vajrayana is the default here. It is what it is. Thread locking is the easiest, so it's the most prevalent. I agree completely that is would be better to remove posts and/or ban specific individuals, but that takes more energy.

_/|\_
Keith
When threads cease to be productive and people are just using them to be divisive, or to underhandedly insult one another, or the conversation is simply becoming circular, locking them is a perfectly reasonable response.

Making judgement calls about which threads are circling the drain is part of moderation, an important part in fact.

Secondly, here people are complaining about not taking the time to do deal with individual users, but we do that, and people complain about that too.

So, from our end there is no pleasing everyone, and every upset user has their own personal narrative of oppression by the DW mods, not only do the narratives often lack consistency, sometimes the complaints are actually the opposite of other complaints we hear..frequently in fact.

FYI we always let a mod that follows a particular tradition moderate that forum, whenever it is possible.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. As already mentioned, forum moderation is truly a difficult job.

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

KeithA wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:30 am
KeithA wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:47 am It happens a lot in the Zen forum, as well. Moderation is hard, and very time consuming. Vajrayana is the default here. It is what it is. Thread locking is the easiest, so it's the most prevalent. I agree completely that is would be better to remove posts and/or ban specific individuals, but that takes more energy.

_/|\_
Keith
When threads cease to be productive and people are just using them to be divisive, or to underhandedly insult one another, or the conversation is simply becoming circular, locking them is a perfectly reasonable response.

Making judgement calls about which threads are circling the drain is part of moderation, an important part in fact.

Secondly, here people are complaining about not taking the time to do deal with individual users, but we do that, and people complain about that too.

So, from our end there is no pleasing everyone, and every upset user has their own personal narrative of oppression by the DW mods, not only do the narratives often lack consistency, sometimes the complaints are actually the opposite of other complaints we hear..frequently in fact.

FYI we always let a mod that follows a particular tradition moderate that forum, whenever it is possible.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. As already mentioned, forum moderation is truly a difficult job.

_/|\_
Keith
Thank you, it means a lot to get the acknowledgement that we are at least trying our best. We do make mistakes for sure.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 am

_/|\_
Keith
Thank you, it means a lot to get the acknowledgement that we are at least trying our best. We do make mistakes for sure.
I appreciate your work and Ayu's work as well as both of your contributions, to discussions on the forums. I don't know much about the other mods but they are probably, doing a fine job as well.

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

karmanyingpo wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 am

_/|\_
Keith
I appreciate your work and Ayu's work as well as both of your contributions, to discussions on the forums. I don't know much about the other mods but they are probably, doing a fine job as well.

KN
:good:
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
markatex

Post by markatex »

If y’all wouldn’t be so hostile and argumentative, they wouldn’t need to lock the threads. And I might be more inclined to visit this forum more often. 🤷‍♂️
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I have always thought of mods on forums as unnecessary .

that alt site proves the need for modding.

I never realized that mods are so necessary.

I guess because i never seen anything like this.

My first idea was hey maybe i can help.

all the site does is bring you down to their level of trolling.

No matter what i said or did, i spammed a bunch of posts hoping this chas person would understand what they are doing, nothing works.
It falls on deaf and mentally deficient minds

DW is a sanctuary of civility.

and I now realize the job mods do here.

Even if they get it wrong the odd time is of no consequence in the long run.

It makes absolutely no difference compared to no modding at all.

I heard originally that alt site was a decent place to post.

but with out modding the lowest forms of human nature run free, causing it to fall into ruin.

So big kudos to all the mods past and present here at DW ...and i really mean all :twothumbsup: :shock: ;) ;) ;)
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Minobu wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:03 pm I have always thought of mods on forums as unnecessary .

that alt site proves the need for modding.

I never realized that mods are so necessary.

I guess because i never seen anything like this.

My first idea was hey maybe i can help.

all the site does is bring you down to their level of trolling.

No matter what i said or did, i spammed a bunch of posts hoping this chas person would understand what they are doing, nothing works.
It falls on deaf and mentally deficient minds

DW is a sanctuary of civility.

and I now realize the job mods do here.

Even if they get it wrong the odd time is of no consequence in the long run.

It makes absolutely no difference compared to no modding at all.

I heard originally that alt site was a decent place to post.

but with out modding the lowest forms of human nature run free, causing it to fall into ruin.

So big kudos to all the mods past and present here at DW ...and i really mean all :twothumbsup: :shock: ;) ;) ;)
They would mod Nichiren straught out of Dharma Wheel, regardless of how much his arguments were based on the teachings. There is and always has been hatred for the teachings of Nichiren, even among his so-called devotees. This is to their own detrimnent.

Mark

Return to “Nichiren”