Able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice?

Minobu

Able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice?

Post by Minobu »

_johnarundel_ wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:35 pm
In the Latter Day of the Law, us common mortals do not possess previous good causes (honmi uzen). Therefore, we must receive the seed of Buddhahood for the first time. Thus, when we first hear Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo -- the Daimoku of the Essential Teaching -- we are able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice.

The Seed of Buddhahood is not received it is already there due to The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha.
this is sometimes referred to the seed of Buddhahood or Tathagatagarbha.

you say:
Therefore, we must receive the seed of Buddhahood for the first time.
then you say:
we are able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice.

so what is it John? is it already there or does it manifest , as you claim, when you hear the words Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo for the first time ?

I'm convinced that it is there to be awakened in all sentient beings in all six realms of Samsara, due to The Eternal Buddha Sakyamuni

We develop it through the practice left to us from the lineage of Lotus Buddhism.

also keep in mind that Bodhisattvas of the Earth are here now.

These are the Bodhisattvas mentioned in the Lotus Sutra who were trained under the Guidance of The Eternal Buddha Sakyamuni Buddha in the remote past ...They are those who laid in waiting for the coming of the Four Great Leaders of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth at beginning of Mappo.

Bodhisattva Jogyo manifested as Saint Nichiren Shonin brought the practice to enable masses of sentients to attain Buddhahood.

what you are doing with your voice and the practice taught to us by Bodhisattva Jogyo is manifesting The Eternal Buddha as Teacher sovereign and parent in your presence. A True Marvel if there ever was one.

good luck .

my only guidance is be careful what you chant to and who you learn from.

I prefer Original Gohonzon from our Master Nichiren Shonin.

I don't know if covid prevents one from receiving The Shutei Gohonzon which Nichiren Shu the Original Sects give out.

this is The Gohonzon Nichiren Shonin had at His bedside and is now copied .

i only have one i downloaded off the internet and use it on my imac with a candle and some tree bark as an offering.
_johnarundel_

Re: New to Nichiren... and my attitude is.....

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Minobu wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:07 pm

so what is it John? is it already there or does it manifest , as you claim, when you hear the words Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo for the first time ?

Hi Minobu!

Good to see you back here!

Theoretically, we possess the inherent Buddha-nature/potential. But, unless we receive the seed of Buddhahood, we have no way to awaken it. It simply remains in the realm of theory.

Thus, when we first here the five and seven characters of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo -- the Daimoku of the Essential Teaching (Honmon), we are able to awaken to the inherent Buddha-nature through our practice to the Gohonzon.

Nichiren Daishonin taught in that those in the previous ages of the Former and Middle Days of the Law already possessed the seed of Buddhahood, but us in the Latter Day of the Law do not.

Nichiren Daishonin states in "Letter to Soya Nyudo" ("Soya nyudo dono moto gosho"),
During the first two periods, the two thousand or more years that make up the Former and Middle Days of the Law, there were still some persons who had received the seed of Buddhahood, such as those who lived during the more than forty years when Shakyamuni preached in the world. But at such a time one must not, without stopping to consider the capacities of the people, thoughtlessly preach the Lotus Sutra, the true sutra.

At present, however, we have already entered the third period, the Latter Day of the Law. The persons who formed a relationship with the Buddha during the time he was in the world have little by little diminished in number, and all those who have the capacity to attain Buddhahood through the two categories of provisional and true sutras have disappeared . . . And yet, in spite of this fact, the scholars of today, because they are confused about the categories of time and capacity, in some cases propagate Hinayana doctrines, or in others transmit the teachings of provisional Mahayana or preach the one vehicle. But none of them realize that they should be utilizing the five characters of the daimoku, since this is the means for implanting the seed of Buddhahood.

(Gosho, p. 778)
This gosho is universally accepted as authentic; the original document in Nichiren Daishonin's own hand exists at Nakayama Hokkekyoji Temple. We refer to Lord Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings as the Buddhism of the Harvest, and we refer to Nichiren Daishonin's teachings as the Buddhism of the Sowing. Nichiren Daishonin makes this distinction clear in one of his most important treatise, Kanjin no honzon-sho:
The Essential Teaching of Shakyamuni's day and the teaching for the beginning of Mappo are equally pure and perfect. However, his is harvesting, while this is sowing. The core of his teaching is the one chapter and two halves, and for me its the five characters of the Daimoku alone.

(Gosho, p.656)

Thus, the sowing of the seed of the true cause (honinmyo) is necessary in the Latter Day of the Law in order to awaken to our inherent Buddha-nature.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

_johnarundel_ wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:35 pm
In the Latter Day of the Law, us common mortals do not possess previous good causes (honmi uzen). Therefore, we must receive the seed of Buddhahood for the first time. Thus, when we first hear Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo -- the Daimoku of the Essential Teaching -- we are able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice.

The Seed of Buddhahood is not received it is already there due to The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha.
this is sometimes referred to the seed of Buddhahood or Tathagatagarbha.

you say:
Therefore, we must receive the seed of Buddhahood for the first time.
then you say:
we are able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice.

I'm convinced that it is there to be awakened in all sentient beings in all six realms of Samsara, due to The Eternal Buddha Sakyamuni

We develop it through the practice left to us from the lineage of Lotus Buddhism.

also keep in mind that Bodhisattvas of the Earth are here now.

These are the Bodhisattvas mentioned in the Lotus Sutra who were trained under the Guidance of The Eternal Buddha Sakyamuni Buddha in the remote past ...They are those who laid in waiting for the coming of the Four Great Leaders of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth at beginning of Mappo.

Bodhisattva Jogyo manifested as Saint Nichiren Shonin brought the practice to enable masses of sentients to attain Buddhahood.

what you are doing with your voice and the practice taught to us by Bodhisattva Jogyo is manifesting The Eternal Buddha as Teacher sovereign and parent in your presence. A True Marvel if there ever was one.

good luck .

my only guidance is be careful what you chant to and who you learn from.

I prefer Original Gohonzon from our Master Nichiren Shonin.

I don't know if covid prevents one from receiving The Shutei Gohonzon which Nichiren Shu the Original Sects give out.

this is The Gohonzon Nichiren Shonin had at His bedside and is now copied .

i only have one i downloaded off the internet and use it on my imac with a candle and some tree bark as an offering.
Great advice Minobu. I especially like, "be careful who you learn from". The most sensible teaching along these lines is, I believe, "The Succession Through the Scrolls of the Lotus Sutra and Writings of Nichiren." Nichiren writes in The Pure and Far Reaching Voice:

"Shakyamuni Buddha and the written words of the Lotus Sutra are two different things, but their heart is one. Therefore, when you cast your eyes upon the words of the Lotus Sutra, you should consider that you are beholding the living body of the Thus Come One Shakyamuni."

I think it would be ok to add, "the authenticated writings of Nichiren, especially his Five Major Writings", are the living body of Nichiren Daishonin. Learning from the two original masters, one can not go wrong.

Mark
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

_johnarundel_ wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi Minobu!

Good to see you back here!

Theoretically, we possess the inherent Buddha-nature/potential. But, unless we receive the seed of Buddhahood, we have no way to awaken it. It simply remains in the realm of theory.

Thus, when we first here the five and seven characters of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo -- the Daimoku of the Essential Teaching (Honmon), we are able to awaken to the inherent Buddha-nature through our practice to the Gohonzon.

Nichiren Daishonin taught in that those in the previous ages of the Former and Middle Days of the Law already possessed the seed of Buddhahood, but us in the Latter Day of the Law do not.

Nichiren Daishonin states in "Letter to Soya Nyudo" ("Soya nyudo dono moto gosho"),
During the first two periods, the two thousand or more years that make up the Former and Middle Days of the Law, there were still some persons who had received the seed of Buddhahood, such as those who lived during the more than forty years when Shakyamuni preached in the world. But at such a time one must not, without stopping to consider the capacities of the people, thoughtlessly preach the Lotus Sutra, the true sutra.

At present, however, we have already entered the third period, the Latter Day of the Law. The persons who formed a relationship with the Buddha during the time he was in the world have little by little diminished in number, and all those who have the capacity to attain Buddhahood through the two categories of provisional and true sutras have disappeared . . . And yet, in spite of this fact, the scholars of today, because they are confused about the categories of time and capacity, in some cases propagate Hinayana doctrines, or in others transmit the teachings of provisional Mahayana or preach the one vehicle. But none of them realize that they should be utilizing the five characters of the daimoku, since this is the means for implanting the seed of Buddhahood.

(Gosho, p. 778)
This gosho is universally accepted as authentic; the original document in Nichiren Daishonin's own hand exists at Nakayama Hokkekyoji Temple. We refer to Lord Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings as the Buddhism of the Harvest, and we refer to Nichiren Daishonin's teachings as the Buddhism of the Sowing. Nichiren Daishonin makes this distinction clear in one of his most important treatise, Kanjin no honzon-sho:
The Essential Teaching of Shakyamuni's day and the teaching for the beginning of Mappo are equally pure and perfect. However, his is harvesting, while this is sowing. The core of his teaching is the one chapter and two halves, and for me its the five characters of the Daimoku alone.

(Gosho, p.656)

Thus, the sowing of the seed of the true cause (honinmyo) is necessary in the Latter Day of the Law in order to awaken to our inherent Buddha-nature.
I see where you are coming from. I apologize for not being on the same page I was looking at a whole other Buddhist narrative that teaches about Tathagatagharba.

And yes indeed just hearing about the Odaimoku sets one on the journey we both enjoy.

Thanks for reminding me John. Good one.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I think it is important to think in terms of the Eternal Buddha ...This is pure Dharmakaya due to the fact when we speak of all other Buddhas they were once common mortals.

So when we recite Gongyo the last thing we recite is :
Mai ji sa ze nen.
I am always thinking,
I ga ryo shu jo.
“How shall I cause all living beings
Toku nyu mu jo do.
to enter into the unsurpassed Way
Soku jo ju Bus shin.
and quickly become Buddhas?”
Now in Mappo the act of reciting Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo , this is the seed Nichiren Shonin is referring to .

the above sutra quote is infinite..it includes all the different periods that The Dharma is taught and practiced. Different practicers for different times and capacities of the people. they have their best before date according to Nichiren Shonin. Written in the Lotus Sutra is talk of Counterfeit Dharma surviving and if i'm not mistaken The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha refers to this Counterfeit Dharma as His own as well.....

but during this time the Bodhisattvas of the Earth and Their Leaders appear to protect The Lotus Sutra, which is none other than Chanting The ODaimoku during Mappo.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Minobu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:05 pm I think it is important to think in terms of the Eternal Buddha ...This is pure Dharmakaya due to the fact when we speak of all other Buddhas they were once common mortals.

Mai ji sa ze nen.
I am always thinking,
I ga ryo shu jo.
Toku nyu mu jo do.
Soku jo ju Bus shin.
Now in Mappo the act of reciting Namu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo , this is the seed Nichiren Shonin is referring to .

the above sutra quote is infinite..it includes all the different periods that The Dharma is taught and practiced. Different practicers for different times and capacities of the people. they have their best before date according to Nichiren Shonin. Written in the Lotus Sutra is talk of Counterfeit Dharma surviving and if i'm not mistaken The Eternal Buddha Lord Sakyamuni Buddha refers to this Counterfeit Dharma as His own as well.....

but during this time the Bodhisattvas of the Earth and Their Leaders appear to protect The Lotus Sutra, which is none other than Chanting The ODaimoku during Mappo.
The counterfeit dharma refers to the provisional teachings. It is counterfeit and will last twice as long. Counterfeit means they require the lotus at this point to for complete enlightenment. However provisional dharma still serves a purpose as the provision is required to reveal the true aspect.

As it is human existence will always have provisions as a matter of development and the dynamics of environmental interactions. Life and death are themselves provisions of the true aspect.

:anjali:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

is this your speculation.
I've never heard what you are saying about it being provisional.
where do you get your understanding from ?

I am pretty sure counterfeit dharma refers to what happens during Mappo...after the previous ages it becomes like what you see in other present day Mappo Mahayana schools. the teachings no longer suit the people and people change the narratives to suit the times.

personally this whole provisional thing can be over used. IMO.

it's a horrid word to use...

i recall provisional Buddha was supposed to be Nichiren The Buddha of Kuon Ganjo and a Transient Buddha was referred to as Lord 'Sakyamuni

i guess provisional sounded more like a Buddha who gives you stuff......that was the whole gakki narrative back when i was there in the 70's.

tkp67 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:23 am
Minobu wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:05 pm I think it is important to think in terms of the Eternal Buddha ...This is pure Dharmakaya due to the fact when we speak of all other Buddhas they were once common mortals.

Mai ji sa ze nen.
I am always thinking,
I ga ryo shu jo.
Toku nyu mu jo do.
Soku jo ju Bus shin.

The counterfeit dharma refers to the provisional teachings. It is counterfeit and will last twice as long. Counterfeit means they require the lotus at this point to for complete enlightenment. However provisional dharma still serves a purpose as the provision is required to reveal the true aspect.

As it is human existence will always have provisions as a matter of development and the dynamics of environmental interactions. Life and death are themselves provisions of the true aspect.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Middle Day of the Law Also, the period of the Counterfeit Law. The second of the three periods following a Buddha’s death. During this time the Buddha’s teaching gradually becomes formalized, the people’s connection to it weakens, and progressively fewer people are able to gain enlightenment through its practice. Some sources define the Middle Day of the Law of Shakyamuni as lasting a thousand years, while others define it as five hundred years.
https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd- ... 0the%20Law

Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:45 am is this your speculation.

I am pretty sure counterfeit dharma refers to what happens during Mappo...after the previous ages it becomes like what you see in other present day Mappo Mahayana schools. the teachings no longer suit the people and people change the narratives to suit the times.

i recall provisional Buddha was supposed to be Nichiren The Buddha of Kuon Ganjo and a Transient Buddha was referred to as Lord 'Sakyamuni

i guess provisional sounded more like a Buddha who gives you stuff......that was the whole gakki narrative back when i was there in the 70's.

tkp67

Re: Able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice?

Post by tkp67 »

Provision is an important word because of the relationship with province. As a province describes a section of a country, provision describes the specific preparations of a particular path.

The whole purpose of the Lotus Sutra is to get the various and different peoples who represents the buddha's teachings to recognize as much. If the teachings are in conflict it destroys the teachings. The buddha foresaw this.

He predicted everything as this is exactly the reality we are experiencing today.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

So it has nothing to do with as you said provisional.
I told you it was to do with the teachings being changed with time.

You should tell people when it’s just you own ideas. I always say that or try to at least.
Our religion has enough falsehoods bandied about.
tkp67 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:56 pm
Middle Day of the Law Also, the period of the Counterfeit Law. The second of the three periods following a Buddha’s death. During this time the Buddha’s teaching gradually becomes formalized, the people’s connection to it weakens, and progressively fewer people are able to gain enlightenment through its practice. Some sources define the Middle Day of the Law of Shakyamuni as lasting a thousand years, while others define it as five hundred years.

Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:45 am is this your speculation.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:23 pm So it has nothing to do with as you said provisional.

You should tell people when it’s just you own ideas. I always say that or try to at least.
All provision is ephemeral.

Conceptual designations and the time period in which they occur are not mutually exclusive from one another.

Rather they work in concert thus the importance of cause, condition, capacity AND the time.

Again, in terms of the Ten Worlds, they represent the first nine worlds. With regard to the categories of dreams and waking, they correspond to the teachings on good and evil in the category of dreams.

Dreams may be called provisional, and the waking state may be called true. This is because dreams are temporary and lack any inherent entity and nature; hence they are termed “provisional.” But the waking state is permanent, the unchanging entity of the mind, and hence it is designated by the term “true.”

For this reason the sutra teachings set forth in the first forty-two years of the Buddha’s preaching life deal with affairs of good and evil as these exist in the dream that is the realm of birth and death. Therefore they are called provisional teachings. They are intended to lead and guide living beings who exist in a realm of dreams and waken them to the enlightenment of the Lotus Sutra. They are sutra teachings of preparation, an expedient means. Therefore they are called provisional teachings.

This is how we should read the words “provisional” and “true” and how we should understand them.

We should read the word “provisional” to mean temporary, because it p.836exemplifies the world of dreams. And we should read the word “true” to mean real, because it exemplifies the waking state.

The dreams that are the realm of birth and death are temporary and lack an inherent entity and nature, and thus exemplify that which is provisional. Hence they are called illusions. The waking state of original enlightenment1 is true or real, the mind that is removed from the realm of birth and extinction, and thus exemplifies truth. Hence it is called the true aspect.

By grasping the meaning of these two words “provisional” and “true,” we may distinguish in the sacred teachings of the Buddha’s lifetime which ones are provisional and deal with the instruction and conversion of others, and which are true and pertain to the Buddha’s enlightenment. The first three of the four teachings, the first four of the five periods of teachings, and the first nine of the Ten Worlds all alike deal with affairs of good and evil as these exist in the realm of dreams. Hence they are called provisional teachings.

With regard to these doctrinal teachings, the Buddha in the Immeasurable Meanings Sutra stated that “in these more than forty years, I have not yet revealed the truth.” These various sutras in which the truth is not yet revealed are provisional teachings pertaining to the realm of dreams.

Therefore The Annotations on “The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra” states: “Though the nature of the mind does not vary, it is inevitably engaged with phantoms, and so it gives rise to phantom capacities, phantom receptiveness, phantom responses, and phantom salvation. Both the Buddha, who is capable of responding, and the living beings, who receive instruction and undergo conversion, are provisional in aspect and not true.

The Unanimous Declaration by the Buddhas

---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd- ... 315#para-9

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:36 pm
Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:23 pm So it has nothing to do with as you said provisional.

All provision is ephemeral.

Conceptual designations and the time period in which they occur are not mutually exclusive from one another.

Rather they work in concert thus the importance of cause, condition, capacity AND the time.
you have not addressed my pointing out you were wrong..Counterfeit Dharma mentioned in the Lotus Sutra is not Provisional doctrine, nor has anything to do with being provisional.

Never have a problem with saying your wrong instead of trying to make it look more palpable .

from
in any case i never could find anything online regarding this point of counterfeit Dharma..I asked about it for years and had to come to my own conclusions...hence my saying
i'm pretty sure......

thanks for the link and verifying stuff for me...i feel there is much more to it though...it's not just about verifying our own practice.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

you edited your post...

it still doesn't address what is said in the Lotus Sutra about counterfeit Dharma..you want to connect dots...it's a dangerous game.

how authentique is the gosho...lol...
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:59 pm you edited your post...

it still doesn't address what is said in the Lotus Sutra about counterfeit Dharma..you want to connect dots...it's a dangerous game.

Read the whole of the gosho it is clear on the manner.

The concept of provisional teachings is not unique to any gosho or the Nichiren tradition so gosho authenticity is a meaningless argument.

Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

One of the first things I learned from Nichiren Shoshu in my first meeting with members was what are provisional teachings and what is not.
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:19 pm
Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:59 pm you edited your post...

Read the whole of the gosho it is clear on the manner.

The concept of provisional teachings is not unique to any gosho or the Nichiren tradition so gosho authenticity is a meaningless argument.

ok so do you think that the prediction of Counterfeit Dharma in the Lotus sutra is some sort of provisional teaching.

i don't see how it is provisional ...it's a prediction of what becomes of The Dharma ..in this case the very Lotus Sutra...

it's about the Dharma being corrupted..it's not a teaching...it's a prediction.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:35 pm One of the first things I learned from Nichiren Shoshu in my first meeting with members was what are provisional teachings and what is not.

so i'm all ears what is provisional according to Shoshu...when i was there for five years this topic never arose. and the other 20 years in gakki the only time it was used back then was as i said about The Buddha of Kuon Ganjo being a provisional Buddha and Lord Sakyamuni Buddha referred to as a Transient Buddha.

so please enlightenment me..

and this was not about what is provisional ....just the reference to Counterfeit Dharma...and what it means.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

It's both a teaching and a prediction
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:56 pm It's both a teaching and a prediction
i would really appreciate you telling me about what actually is provisional and how it is used in buddhism...you were fortunate enough as you say to be taught this day one...

can you help me out here...maybe make a new thread..

i think the word provisional is being used to freely...it's like anti something ...lol..

so i'm looking forward to you explaining to us.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Minobu wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:25 pm
Shotenzenjin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:56 pm It's both a teaching and a prediction
i would really appreciate you telling me about what actually is provisional and how it is used in buddhism...you were fortunate enough as you say to be taught this day one...

can you help me out here...maybe make a new thread..

i think the word provisional is being used to freely...it's like anti something ...lol..

so i'm looking forward to you explaining to us.
Provisional teaching are all teachings prior to the lotus Sutra

Return to “Nichiren”