Able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice?

neander

Re: Able to awaken to our innate Buddha-nature through our actual practice?

Post by neander »

“In judging the relative merit of Buddhist doctrines, I, Nichiren, believe that the best standards are those of reason and documentary proof. And even more valuable than reason and documentary proof is the proof of actual fact"

Actual fact is king.

Bypass all the sutras including the lotus.

The Three Kinds of Treasure

Life as a human being is hard to sustain—as hard as it is for the dew to remain on the grass. But it is better to live a single day with honor than to live to 120 and die in disgrace.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 am I think what is unique about the Lotus Sutra is that it claims that one cannot acheive Enlightenment without it's Teachings:
"The way of the bodhisattva is the same as this. As long as a person has not yet heard. Not yet understood. And not yet been able to practice this Lotus Sutra, then you should know that person is still far away from anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. Why? Because all bodhisattvas who attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi in all cases do so through this sutra. This sutra opens the gate of expedient means and shows the form of true reality. This storehouse of the Lotus Sutra is hidden deep and far away where no person can reach it. But the Buddha, teaching, converting and leading to success the bodhisattvas, opens it up for them.
-The Lotus Sutra, Chapter Ten: The Teacher of the Law.

So this expounds thst the Ekayāna as understood as everything that is the Vehicle of the Buddhas that bring us to Enlightenment, comes from the Lotus Sutra. Of course from Theravada down to the deep Vajrayana Teachings, up to Zen and other Mahayana Teachings we have a very real Buddhism that comes from Gautama's Emanation that can bring us to Enlightenment. Powerful Buddhists are present there. But all of these Vehicles or Schools contain the Teachings of the Lotus Sutra within them. How? Because Gautama Buddha's basis for Teaching others how to come to Enlightenment comes from the Lotus Sutra. So even if one sits underneath a tree and meditates without any formal training, and Enlightenment hits them, like it hit Gautama, because they have an overbearing drive to become a Buddha and have that level of Compassion, that means they have penetrated the Teachings and meaning of the Lotus Sutra, whether they have picked up the book in that life or not. But here we have it in our Libraries, so it's important to recite, read, possess, and share, and discuss, so that all may come to Enlightenment by it's Teachings. It's that important, and the Buddha states such within it's pages.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
:good:
I have no idea why people ignore this and continue to use Sutras to prove that what they are doing is the correct path at this time.

Not only do all common folk and Bodhisattvas attain enlightenment from the Lotus Sutra since time ever lasting ...during Mappo it's the only way.

I guess people are so deluded or there is this want to be like a guru or famous Buddhist author and receive money and fame from other forms of Buddhism.

You see this all the time online . When challenged they get very angry...

if you watch online the ones that make like they are some special teacher or they get some title you will see anger and non enlightened LOL behaviour abounds over time. Bullying there way to position and trust when challenged.

then watch for like minions that want to suck up to the so called teachers and post against people who oppose their teacher with personal shit.

so goes the way of online Buddhist banter and actual learning.

Everyone that embraces some Nichiren School for a duration will notice there life becomes different. There is a learning curve about what you actually are...compassion abounds...Nichiren Schools produce compassion that i don't see in some of the other schools.

Now I had experiences and growth galore from my tibetan Teachers.

Especially Kalden Geshe La with his love for Tara.

He was the one i first received my very first initiation. It was the basic Buddha Avalokiteshvara Initiation.

then Three months later i received my second initiation ever from Him and it was the basic Green Tara initiation.

Both were done in a Friday to Sunday come and go setting ..
Two things happened with that initiation...i had like this sexual orgasm feeling mixed with deep compassion for like everything.it lasted for almost two to three minutes it seemed ..Years later I asked rinpoche about it and He said it was purification...

But this was amazing...i lived in downtown Toronto at the time in a High rise in the high Park area...

i had my bedroom window blocked out with tin foil to make it dark...except for this small sliding window ...a prevention for kids falling out of it...

so i'm like looking at an approximate 10 inch by 8 inch open view only...

On the sunday or monday night ....it's like 30 years ago...i wake up at about 2 in the morning and look through the window from my lying in bed position and a huge Green Bright meteor streaked across the sky...

in the morning i thought it was just a dream ...but it was all over the news and it could be seen from Ottawa to Detroit.

Kalden Geshe La...the man who showed cowboys how to play with fish instead of catching them....whole other tale...
any retreat with Geshe entailed producing in me ,massive compassion for others which would fade about three days after he was gone....He said it was good that at least experienced it and now knew i had to work on it becoming permanent..

I believe it is my connection with Nichiren Schools that allowed for me to get the most out of what These Tibetan Teachers taught.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 am I think what is unique about the Lotus Sutra is that it claims that one cannot acheive Enlightenment without it's Teachings:
"The way of the bodhisattva is the same as this. As long as a person has not yet heard. Not yet understood. And not yet been able to practice this Lotus Sutra, then you should know that person is still far away from anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. Why? Because all bodhisattvas who attain anuttara-samyak-sambodhi in all cases do so through this sutra. This sutra opens the gate of expedient means and shows the form of true reality. This storehouse of the Lotus Sutra is hidden deep and far away where no person can reach it. But the Buddha, teaching, converting and leading to success the bodhisattvas, opens it up for them.

So this expounds thst the Ekayāna as understood as everything that is the Vehicle of the Buddhas that bring us to Enlightenment, comes from the Lotus Sutra. Of course from Theravada down to the deep Vajrayana Teachings, up to Zen and other Mahayana Teachings we have a very real Buddhism that comes from Gautama's Emanation that can bring us to Enlightenment. Powerful Buddhists are present there. But all of these Vehicles or Schools contain the Teachings of the Lotus Sutra within them. How? Because Gautama Buddha's basis for Teaching others how to come to Enlightenment comes from the Lotus Sutra. So even if one sits underneath a tree and meditates without any formal training, and Enlightenment hits them, like it hit Gautama, because they have an overbearing drive to become a Buddha and have that level of Compassion, that means they have penetrated the Teachings and meaning of the Lotus Sutra, whether they have picked up the book in that life or not. But here we have it in our Libraries, so it's important to recite, read, possess, and share, and discuss, so that all may come to Enlightenment by it's Teachings. It's that important, and the Buddha states such within it's pages.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
It says “the way of Bodhisattva.” What does it says before that?
It’s eye blinking.
Budai

Post by Budai »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:24 pm It says “the way of Bodhisattva.” What does it says before that?
Here you go:
"Medicine King, suppose there is a man who is parched with thirst and in need of water. On an upland plateau he begins digging a hole in search of water, but he sees that the soil is dry and knows that water is still far away. He does not cease his efforts, however, and bit by bit he sees the soil becoming damper, until gradually he has worked his way into mud. Now he is determined in his mind to go on, for he knows that he is bound to be nearing water.
The full Chapter can be read here.

It's meant that Bodhisattvas are digging down to the Stream of Nibbana, correct? Ultimately to Buddhahood. So the Way of the Bodhisattva is of constant learning and understanding of Compassion and Maitri by the method of the Lotus Sutra, as well as it's propoundment throughout the world. It's important for us as Buddhists to earnestly seek this Enlightenment!
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Minobu wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
I have no idea why people ignore this and continue to use Sutras to prove that what they are doing is the correct path at this time.

Not only do all common folk and Bodhisattvas attain enlightenment from the Lotus Sutra since time ever lasting ...during Mappo it's the only way.

I guess people are so deluded or there is this want to be like a guru or famous Buddhist author and receive money and fame from other forms of Buddhism.

if you watch online the ones that make like they are some special teacher or they get some title you will see anger and non enlightened LOL behaviour abounds over time. Bullying there way to position and trust when challenged.

then watch for like minions that want to suck up to the so called teachers and post against people who oppose their teacher with personal shit.

Everyone that embraces some Nichiren School for a duration will notice there life becomes different. There is a learning curve about what you actually are...compassion abounds...Nichiren Schools produce compassion that i don't see in some of the other schools.

He was the one i first received my very first initiation. It was the basic Buddha Avalokiteshvara Initiation.

then Three months later i received my second initiation ever from Him and it was the basic Green Tara initiation.

Two things happened with that initiation...i had like this sexual orgasm feeling mixed with deep compassion for like everything.it lasted for almost two to three minutes it seemed ..Years later I asked rinpoche about it and He said it was purification...

But this was amazing...i lived in downtown Toronto at the time in a High rise in the high Park area...

i had my bedroom window blocked out with tin foil to make it dark...except for this small sliding window ...a prevention for kids falling out of it...

On the sunday or monday night ....it's like 30 years ago...i wake up at about 2 in the morning and look through the window from my lying in bed position and a huge Green Bright meteor streaked across the sky...

in the morning i thought it was just a dream ...but it was all over the news and it could be seen from Ottawa to Detroit.

Kalden Geshe La...the man who showed cowboys how to play with fish instead of catching them....whole other tale...
any retreat with Geshe entailed producing in me ,massive compassion for others which would fade about three days after he was gone....He said it was good that at least experienced it and now knew i had to work on it becoming permanent..

I believe it is my connection with Nichiren Schools that allowed for me to get the most out of what These Tibetan Teachers taught.
Lotus Sutra is not a unique view. It’s within Mahayana that Buddhas work with sentient beings from the beginning to the end to liberate them.
It’s eye blinking.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:24 pm

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!
It says “the way of Bodhisattva.” What does it says before that?
you do realize one needs to use their mind for this practice to function at it's optimum .

If you are doing gongyo and practicing the ODaimoku for some time now ....It's proof you are a Bodhisattva of the Earth.

Nichiren say faith practice study....your mind comes into the picture when you say faith..

Chant with the will that all those qualities portrayed on gohonzon are inside everyone waiting to be awakened in some cases and developed more in others.

The Attitude you are Bodhisattva of The Earth trained by Lord Guru Sakyamuni The Eternal Buddha in the infinite past and waiting for this time of mappo to be born in Samsara...for the purpose to spread the teachings and protect them and help liberate people by supporting them in their practice.

thats pure faith my friend...

It's like you have the seed to Buddhahood but have not a clue...not having a clue does not mean anything ...the Buddha taught us otherwise...

hope it helps
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

That’s cool. Are you the living Lotus Sutra? Because it’s just text no? :lol:
It’s eye blinking.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 pm
Minobu wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Lotus Sutra is not a unique view. It’s within Mahayana that Buddhas work with sentient beings from the beginning to the end to liberate them.
I'm in total agreement with you...my life is a testament to those words...

Even in christianity one kind find Dharma..why..because it is here due to the Buddha turning the Dharma Wheel...

mappo does not mean that there is no truth in anything other than the Lotus Sutra..It's just well...i find that because of my commitment to The Lotus sutra when i do other practices they really work fine...

Look at Nichiren Shonin...Because he is a Leader of The BOA He was able to figure out what was going down in the Buddhist World of His Time.
Knew what was to be done...
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:55 pm That’s cool. Are you the living Lotus Sutra? Because it’s just text no? :lol:
i don't get the question....

the characters on Gohonzon are pointing out what is there...you don't need to know what they mean...Buddhist Dharma takes care of all that...

i'm not saying it isn't wonderful to know what they mean , and study helps...but the real work just happens..

it's like the whole of the Lotus Sutra and every quality it depicts is found in KYO ...Myo Ho Ren Ge and all it's meaning is produced with KYO..
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

My point is it’s a valid practice but information Nichiren practitioners have expounding iS not unique to Nichiren. Unless I am missing something?
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Minobu wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:00 pm
LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:55 pm That’s cool. Are you the living Lotus Sutra? Because it’s just text no? :lol:

the characters on Gohonzon are pointing out what is there...you don't need to know what they mean...Buddhist Dharma takes care of all that...

i'm not saying it isn't wonderful to know what they mean , and study helps...but the real work just happens..

it's like the whole of the Lotus Sutra and every quality it depicts is found in KYO ...Myo Ho Ren Ge and all it's meaning is produced with KYO..
So if I am reciting the Great Samantabhadra, am I not practicing Lotus Sutra? Since she is mentioned in Lotus Sutra.
It’s eye blinking.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:05 pm
Minobu wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:00 pm

So if I am reciting the Great Samantabhadra, am I not practicing Lotus Sutra? Since she is mentioned in Lotus Sutra.
The Lotus Sutra is The Entity from which all Buddhas worked with in order to attain Buddhahood.

It's so much more than what is perceived from the unenlightened mind.

We have only the masters of Lotus Buddhism to look to for faith in this.

What Nichiren put together is just that.

All the components that force , if it's true, the awakening of Buddha Nature in ourselves during Mappo.

It's like slapping the gods and enlightened ones in the face and saying here do what you promised to do in The Lotus Sutra as taught by Lord Guru Sakyamuni The Eternal Buddha.

Looking back we saw flaws in how he went about it. Case in point, giving so much emphasis on a sect he learned from and left .
I think he left ,and this is only my opinion. from what i gather from listening to these people here...he left TenDai for it was not really what it was cracked up to be. Definitely a sect for the intellectuals to learn from...not a practice for everyone during Mappo.

Peasantry were not permitted the teachings of TenDai like what Nichiren did..
A peasant could not walk into a TenDai Temple and ask what to do in order to do the work that needs to be done to awaken Buddha Nature and commune with the gods and enlightened ones.

He set The Way Free..... To All ...
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

“The Lotus Sutra is The Entity from which all Buddhas worked with in order to attain Buddhahood.”

That’s fine. If Lotus Sutra were expounded by The Eternal Buddha, why not recite the Eternal Buddha? That will include all Sutras.

Without the Lotus Sutra, Buddhas still work with?
It’s eye blinking.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

LastLegend wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:25 pm “The Lotus Sutra is The Entity from which all Buddhas worked with in order to attain Buddhahood.”

That’s fine. If Lotus Sutra were expounded by The Eternal Buddha, why not recite the Eternal Buddha? That will include all Sutras.

Without the Lotus Sutra, Buddhas still work with?
you seem to have come to some conclusion..

so make it happen..

make your life beautiful with what you know then

prove you know something..

do your thing and come back and say see..
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Why shouldn’t be offended. You’ve got deep faith.

I am saying Sutras tell about the Buddhas, their enlightenment, their vows, their teachings, how merit is obtained, how Bodhisattvas train, how they liberate sentient beings, etc. It’s a form of communication. It’s great that master Nichiren was able to turn chanting the title of a Sutra into practice, but such is not unique to Lotus Sutra. Numerous Sutras say the same thing. Ksitigarbha Sutra mentions a list of past Bodhisattvas and Buddhas and their vows that we have never heard of.
It’s eye blinking.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

LastLegend wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 pm Why shouldn’t be offended. You’ve got deep faith.

I am saying Sutras tell about the Buddhas, their enlightenment, their vows, their teachings, how merit is obtained, how Bodhisattvas train, how they liberate sentient beings, etc. It’s a form of communication. It’s great that master Nichiren was able to turn chanting the title of a Sutra into practice, but such is not unique to Lotus Sutra. Numerous Sutras say the same thing. Ksitigarbha Sutra mentions a list of past Bodhisattvas and Buddhas and their vows that we have never heard of.
I'm not insulted at all.If thats what you are aiming for ..enjoy ..it always gives me pleasure when i cause others to experience some joy in their lives...even if that means insulting or belittling me...Or explaining to the online world what i'm all about...

all i was trying to convey to you...is try other stuff...you seem to be putting together a concept ..go for it...hope it works out for you..

the key to the Lotus Sutra is when Lord Sakyamuni The Eternal Buddha revealed who and what He really is..after He says " I have not yet revealed the Truth...
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Minobu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:09 pm
LastLegend wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 pm Why shouldn’t be offended. You’ve got deep faith.

I'm not insulted at all.If thats what you are aiming for ..enjoy ..it always gives me pleasure when i cause others to experience some joy in their lives...even if that means insulting or belittling me...Or explaining to the online world what i'm all about...

all i was trying to convey to you...is try other stuff...you seem to be putting together a concept ..go for it...hope it works out for you..

the key to the Lotus Sutra is when Lord Sakyamuni The Eternal Buddha revealed who and what He really is..after He says " I have not yet revealed the Truth...
The Lotus Sutra also reveals we have a mani and not using it!
It’s eye blinking.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

There is a difference in the intent of the sutra which was a critical factor in Nichiren's evaluation of the sutras. They are all the golden words of the buddha which he also makes mention of.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

That’s cool...there are other major Sutras are considered complete in itself I think.
It’s eye blinking.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

LastLegend wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:11 am That’s cool...there are other major Sutras are considered complete in itself I think.
Depending on cause, capacity, condition and the time (as well as other factors) they are.

To illustrate. Say each continent represents a sutra. There would be one sutra for each continent. People consider their own continent the epicenter of teachings in context to the others and this would be accurate. The lotus would represent the law that gave rise to them all and sees them equally and without difference. Which continent does it represent? It represents them all.

Return to “Nichiren”