What do Lay Priests do?

bcol01

What do Lay Priests do?

Post by bcol01 »

My understanding is that they do not have to renounce secular life, but is that the only difference between Lay Priest and Priest?
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: What do Lay Priests do?

Post by Queequeg »

They're all lay priests.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

I was told otherwise and that there is a difference.
Queequeg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:37 pm They're all lay priests.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

It depends on the school I think- no priests at all in SGI, but N.Soshu, N.Shu do ordain- subject to correction.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:39 pm It depends on the school I think- no priests at all in SGI, but N.Soshu, N.Shu do ordain- subject to correction.
Actually Narwhal, SGI has priests where Buddhist priests are highly respected. They have priests in Ghana and Singapore for example. Italian SGI leaders are known as "Ministers of Worship." Daisaku Ikeda taught, "At the present time, the Soka Gakkai itself is the one and only group of united priests which receives and inherits the 'lifeblood of faith.'" -- Daisaku Ikeda, Seikyo Shinbun, 9/18/93

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

bcol01 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:42 pm I was told otherwise and that there is a difference.
Queequeg wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:37 pm They're all lay priests.
I think what QQ means is that most who are considered priests today are no longer celibate. There may be a few Nichiren priests who are celibate and who desire little? Nipponzan Myohoji priests uphold a vow of poverty.

Mark

Return to “Nichiren”