Kempon Hokke Regulations 1451

illarraza

Kempon Hokke Regulations 1451

Post by illarraza »

Translated by Jeffrey Hunter, Ph.D.
1. Do not go to temples and shrines of other sects; likewise, do not worship their Buddhas and gods or offer your alms, not even a single coin.
2. Do not request the services of shrine maidens (miko) or others in the service of shrines, likewise, do not depend on their prayers to bring down fever or allow them to pray for various benefits.
3. When our own monks are unavailable or insufficient in number, do not seek the assistance of other sects.
4. Do not participate in the associations (ko) of other sects.
5. Do not attend Buddhist ceremonies and prayer services sponsored by other sects, or receive on such occasions rice, tea, or sake. Likewise, on similar occasions sponsored by our temple do not invite others.
6. While we may share our firewood with other sects sponsoring merit baths (kudokuburo), do not use their baths. Likewise, do not allow adherents of other sects to use our merit baths.
7. In prayer services and other Buddhist ceremonies not sponsored by the court or the shogunate, do not offer alms, not even a single coin.
8. If the husband is of another faith and the wife of ours, never expel him from the community. But if the husband is ours and the wife an outsider, wait three years [for her to convert] before expelling them both.
9. Even though the temple belongs to another parish (monto) of the Lotus sect, do not go to it or worship its Buddha or give alms to its monks or devotees.
10. While we may listen to sermons preached by monks of other branches of the Lotus sect, do not join their congregations in reading the scripture or reciting the daimoku.
11. Amulets of other sects may be left in houses that are being rented, but if such houses belong to a member of our community, the amulets must be removed.
12. Sons- and daughters-in-law of other sects should be converted; if they visit our houses or if they are servants in such houses, they should be converted if even only for a day.
13. If the monks and devotees of this sect witness or hear of any slanderous behavior, they must reveal it to others. Otherwise their present life will be miserable, and they will fall to the deepest hell.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Kempon Hokke Regulations 1451

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Does that include (by extension) participation in web forums where other sects are represented?
:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
illarraza

Re: Kempon Hokke Regulations 1451

Post by illarraza »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:04 am Does that include (by extension) participation in web forums where other sects are represented?
:rolling:
# 10 answers your questions: 10. While we may listen to sermons preached by monks of other branches of the Lotus sect, do not join their congregations in reading the scripture or reciting the daimoku.I will listen to everyone but I will not pray or chant with everyone. Anyway, although I adopt many aspects of the Kempon Hokke, I am not actually Kempon Hokke, more a follower of the founder of the Kempon Hokke and the Martyr Nikkyo. I also adopt some of the teachings of the Fuju Fuse sect and even the Nipponzan Myohoji. I am conflicted about the Nipponzan Myohoji because although they practice a form of shakubuku in their Daimoku walks, they pray with non-Buddhists, including Brahmans.There are theoretical and documentary reasons for neither giving nor receiving from slanderers (Fuju Fuse), save for the giving of the Law. The Niike Gosho is a teaching on Fuju Fuse. Likewise, we can find elements of Fuju Fuse in the Five Major Works of Nichiren and the entire Nichiren canon.

Mark

Return to “Nichiren”