The unique views of the Honmon Shoshu sect

FiveSkandhas

The unique views of the Honmon Shoshu sect

Post by FiveSkandhas »

The Honmon Shoshu sect of Nichiren Buddhism was founded in 1288. A small sect, they have perhaps a thousand followers today. They claim, among much else, to have the "real" Dai- Gohonzon (which they call the "Dai-Honzon"), and that the one installed at Taisekiji is a fake.

Information on this group is scarce; there was once an English website at http:/honmonshoshu.fujimon.org but it's been down for years.
A Japanese website is also defunct but it can be accessed through wayback:
http://www.honmonji.ne.jp/

Fortunately for the connoisseurs of obscure doctrines, I have saved much of this otherwise-lost English-language information, a small selection of which I will present to you.

This school seems to involve a generous scoop of Shinto syncretism and other theories that fall far outside the mainstream of conventional Nichiren thought. I offer it not as an advocate, but simply out of detached historical and doctrinal interest. Enjoy this unusual doctrinal smorgasbord.

The living embodiment of Aizen & Fudo Myo-ou is Nichiren Daishounin refering to Himself. That is to say, via the Kankenki, Nichiren Daishounin expresses the inner awareness of His identity as the True Buddha through outwardly expressing Himself as the living embodiment of Aizen and Fudo Myo-ou.

Aizen & Fudo Myou-ou are the 2 personas located on the left and right of the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon respectively. They are the twin Laws (of the True Buddha) that guide all existence and bring order to the world. Aizen (ie. affection) represents the Buddha Law, and Fudo (ie. immovable) is the King Law. The former is the showering of the Buddha Law. The latter deals with the delivery of that Law. The Kanjin Honzon-sho states: “When the occasions requires shakubuku, the Four Bodhisattvas appear as Wise Kings who admonish and censure foolish kings, and when it is time for shoju, they appear as Priests to maintain and spread the Correct Law.”

Dainichi Nyorai (Great Sun Tathagata) in the context of the Kankenki, is not the provisional Vairochana (“Birushana 毘盧遮那”) per se preached by the Shingon Sect. The Dainichi Nyorai (大日如来) of the Kankenki is the alternate name for Oohi-rume-no-muchi (大日霊貴). That is to say, the full title of Dainichi Nyorai is Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin (天照大日霊貴大神) which is shortened to Tensho Daijin (天照大神); the Sun God. Tensho (天照) is the alternate pronunciation of Amaterasu (天照), meaning, “Heavenly Radiance” whose symbol is the Sun with 16 rays.

The “Nichi” (日) of Nichiren (日蓮) is the same “Nichi” as Dai (Nichi) Nyorai (大日如来). Nichi (日) means Sun. Calling Himself “Nichiren” is meant to show the direct link (連 ) from Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi to Himself. In other words, Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi is the prior form of Nichiren. From Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin (ie. Tensho Daijin) to Nichiren, the transmission of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou is represented by the Sacred Jewel; the Divine Seal of “An-Deingiru”, the Sky God of Tenjiku (天竺).

The statement: “Nichiren confers to the New Buddha” refer to a future third manifestation of the Sun God after Nichiren Daishounin. Put together, Dainichi Nyorai (ie. Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi), Nichiren, and the New Buddha are the Three Bodies revealed in the Juryo chapter of the Lotus Sutra as the Good Doctor (Ro-I 良医), the Father (Bu 父), and Messenger (Kenshi 遣使). The same Three Bodies appear also in the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon as the “Great Awakened World Honored One” (Dai-kaku-seson 大覚世尊), the Merciful Father (Ji-bu 慈父), and Bodhisattva Jogyo (上行普蕯).

Merciful Father is of course Nichiren Daishounin. And the Messenger is Bodhisattva Jogyo.

Now, what is the meaning of the Sun mentioned here? Is it the scorching sun in the sky, or what? The Sun (ie. Nichi) is actually a synonym for the True Buddha: Nichiren Daishounin. The radiance of the Sun is the Honmon no Daimoku (ie. The Good Wave Motion) shining forth from the Sun (ie. The Life of Nichiren Daishounin in the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon).

The Good Wave Motion (Hou 法) is the vibration (ie. hadou) within fundamental mass (Myou 妙) that supports Life. It is the Excellent Medicine for the Ten Thousand years of Mappo.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
FiveSkandhas

Re: The unique views of the Honmon Shoshu sect

Post by FiveSkandhas »

The Aizen Fudo Kankenki and the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon (signifies the Buddha lineage), and are the Buddhist counterparts of the Imperial Regalia. Conversely, the Imperial Regalia (signify the Kingly lineage), and are the Regal counterparts of the Aizen Fudo Kankenki and the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon. Their co-existence in Fujisan Honmonji signifies Oubutsu Myougou (王佛冥合), ie. the convergence of the King Law and the Buddha Law.

Do you see and understand the relationships ?
The Sacred Jewel represents the hitherto closed transmission of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou.
The Hon-in-myou Daihonzon is the open transmission of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou.

India, from 500 BC to AD 1, there was just the Pali Nikayas.
The Mahayana entered India from the north-west, circa AD 1.

The first half of the 28 chapter Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou, like all Mahayana sutras, were composed as though they were the teachings of the Shakya of India.

The second half of the 28 chapter Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou, sweeps away this dream.
Therefore, to connect Gautama to the Lotus Sutra is like attempting to fit a square into a circle. They fit, only in the dreams of humankind.

The Aizen Kankenki illustrates the Sun disc, which is actually the Sacred Mirror (八咫の鏡) reflecting the image of Jura-setsu-nyo (a variant form of Aizen Myo-ou); an expression of the Sun God Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi (天照大日霊貴). The Fudo Kankenki illustrates the Moon disc which reflects the image of Fudo Myo-ou brandishing the Ame-no-murakumo-no-Tsurugi (天叢雲剣) – the Sword of the Great King – symbolizing the authority, strength and fearlessness of Bodhisattva Jogyo in propagating the Law. The ancient Divine Seal (神璽) is the symbol of Life. It is the shape of an embryo; dormant, unborn, symbolizing the esoteric transmission of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou. The emergence of the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon represents the exoteric transmission of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou.

The story of Tensho Daijin tells us that the Sun Deity hid Herself in a cave, plunging the world into darkness. By displaying the Regalias at the mouth of the sealed cave, the various deities were able to entice Tensho Daijin out of the cave, and light was restored to the world. The true import of this story is Oubutsu Myougou. In other words, Oubutsu Myougou is the supreme condition for the re-emergence of the Sun (ie. the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon) and the showering of its rays (ie. the Good Wave Motion) upon the world. Tensho Daijin is the esoteric transmission representing the sealed gates of heaven, ie. the Sun does not shine. It signifies the Honmon no Daimoku as being concealed, and not yet available. Nichiren represents the gates of heaven preparing to open, ie. the Sun positioning to rise. The New Buddha is the Messenger (ie. Bodhisattva Jogyo) who finally throws open the gates of heaven, making the Excellent Medicine widely available to all humankind. He is like the risen Sun radiating brilliantly. In ancient lore, Bodhisattva Jogyo is the deliverer of soma to living beings. Soma (or amrita) is nothing less than the Excellent Medicine (ie. Good Wave Motion) of the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon.

The Hokke Shuyo-sho states:
“Two suns appearing simultaneously is an omen of two kings standing side by side in one country. King will fight king...…When the country has thus gone out of order, Sages such as Bodhisattva Jogyo will come forth to establish the Triple Law teachings of the Honmon section of the Hokkekyo. He will widely propagate and ceaselessly disseminate* Myohourengekyou throughout the length and breadth of the entire world.”
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

The Kankenki is a visual record made by Nichiren Daishounin, stating awareness of His identity as the second worldly manifestation of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou. The first being Amaterasu-oo-hirume-no-muchi (whose alternate name in the Kankenki is Dainichi Nyorai). The second being Himself. And the third is the New Buddha. They are the 3 Bodies (sanjin) of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou, while Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou is the One Body (Isshin) of the Three. The 3 Bodies are the 3 teachings for the 3 periods of the Correct Law (正法 shohou), Semblance Law (像法 zohou) and Final Law (末法 mappou). Aizen and Fudo Myo-ou are the twin aspects of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou. The former represent the Buddha Law (Buppou 仏法). The latter, the King Law (Ou-hou 王法).

The King Law is the lineage represented by the combination of Kingly articles from Gasshi (月氏), China (漢 Kan) and Japan (日本 Nihon). From Gasshi comes the Divine Seal of An-deingiru. From China, the sword of Wu Wang; the Great King of the Zhou dynasty. And from Japan, the Sacred Mirror of Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin. Together, they form the Imperial Regalia (Sanshu no Jingi) possessed by the legitimate [Southern] dynasty in Japan.

An-deingiru is the Sky God of the ancient Ural-altaic culture known as Tenjiku. His symbol is the Sun with 8 rays. From Tenjiku (Central Asia), worship of the henotheistic Sky God spread worldwide. The horse, first domesticated in Central Asia, was the swiftest means of transport as the culture and religion of Tenjiku swept into India where An-deingiru became known as Surya (the Solar deity). In Sumeria, He is An-dingir whose symbol is also the Sun with 8 rays. From Sumeria, the Sky-Sun worship spread to Egypt, Akkad (Semitic) and Babylon. In ancient Persia, He is Mithra. From Mesopotamia, it then enters ancient Greece as Helios, and ancient Rome as Sol.

Gatsu (Gasshi), Kan (China named after the Han dynasty) and Nichi (Japan) are the 3 countries in the eastward movement of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou; symbolized by the moon’s travel from west to east. In Japan, the An-deingiru of Ural-altai is Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin.Gatsu (Gasshi), Kan (China named after the Han dynasty) and Nichi (Japan) are the 3 countries in the eastward movement of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou; symbolized by the moon’s travel from west to east. In Japan, the An-deingiru of Ural-altai is Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin.

One might ask: Why Nichiren Daishounin place great importanc e to the Imperial support for the Honmon-no-Kaidan (ie. Honmonji) ?

Answer: Oubutsu Myougo means “the convergence of the Law of the King and the Buddha. King refers to the Gold wheel-rolling King of Buddhism, who protects and saves all of humanity through worldwide propagation of the Buddha Law contained in the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon. That is to say, Oubutsu Myougo is the doctrine of the advent of Bodhisattva Jogyo in the Age of the Final Law (ie. Mappo). The identifying credentials of Bodhisattva Jogyo is the possession of the Imperial Regalia {the symbol of true kingship} and the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon {the banner of Honmon Buddhism}.

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

thank you.
really appreciated for it is in synchronicity with my practice as of late. too real...like where did this come from....thanks again...

maybe write something above the quotes like here is some more to avoid being locked down.
just saying ...shame to lose interest in giving more if locked down.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Minobu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 am thank you.
really appreciated for it is in synchronicity with my practice as of late. too real...like where did this come from....thanks again...

maybe write something above the quotes like here is some more to avoid being locked down.
Glad you like it. It's a very interesting sect in my opinion. I met their head priest about ten years ago. He's a direct descendent of the Southern Court Emperors from the Nampoku era when there were two imperial courts. Apparently he's recognized as such by the "real" Emperor, and his family is the only one in Japan besides the Imperial family allowed to use the Imperial Crest as a family emblem. Interesting scene. Apparently there are some scholars who take the Honmon Shoshu's claim to possess the original Dai-Gohonzon seriously. I think it may even have been carbon-dated to within Nichiren's lifetime, making it plausible. There aren't many other wood-plank gohonzons floating around, whatever the case.

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:39 am
Minobu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:32 am thank you.

Glad you like it. It's a very interesting sect in my opinion. I met their head priest about ten years ago. He's a direct descendent of the Southern Court Emperors from the Nampoku era when there were two imperial courts. Apparently he's recognized as such by the "real" Emperor, and his family is the only one in Japan besides the Imperial family allowed to use the Imperial Crest as a family emblem. Interesting scene. Apparently there are some scholars who take the Honmon Shoshu's claim to possess the original Dai-Gohonzon seriously. I think it may even have been carbon-dated to within Nichiren's lifetime, making it plausible. There aren't many other wood-plank gohonzons floating around, whatever the case.
awesomenous beyound the beyound...

it seems the more i chant the more new stuff pops up on my screen here...

i looked up Kankenki and it brought me to something i was fascinated with and posted somewhere here a thread on them...
https://books.google.ca/books?id=syitBQ ... ki&f=false
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Minobu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:44 am
i looked up Kankenki and it brought me to something i was fascinated with and posted somewhere here a thread on them...
https://books.google.ca/books?id=syitBQ ... ki&f=false
Wow that'S a nice load of information....thanks!

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

The fact that this DaiGohonzon appeared only a few years after Nichiren Daishonin's death is something of importance.

The way this sect of Nichiren sees the whole thing is something to study.

Did not Nichiren Daishonin say somewhere if you want to see me look at the sun ...
i recall this and it screams when i read your pieces..

anymore ?

maybe say something before posting them so as to not get a lock down, with the new installed TOS
then again you are not Illarazza so no worries there.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Minobu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:06 pm The fact that this DaiGohonzon appeared only a few years after Nichiren Daishonin's death is something of importance.

The way this sect of Nichiren sees the whole thing is something to study.

Did not Nichiren Daishonin say somewhere if you want to see me look at the sun ...
i recall this and it screams when i read your pieces..

anymore ?

maybe say something before posting them so as to not get a lock down, with the new installed TOS
then again you are not Illarazza so no worries there.
Check your Gmail. :smile:
:anjali:

"Just be kind." -Atisha
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I took a spin thru the Mandala Workshop books, found one reference to an undated gohonzon at the Hota Myohon-ji temple, Kamakura. It may be another gohonzon in their collection, authored by Nichigo, referencing Nichimoku in its provenance. It is not of particular significance though does have Nagarjuna placed in its composition

Another search found a reference to the plank Honmon gohonzon as Mandala #16 in the gohonzonshu, visible here
https://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/ni ... u/016.html

Generally this seems to be a Fuji oriented school.

The Workshop book shows 8 examples plank gohonzons, some of which are devotionally enshrined, others decorative. In other materials they indicate the N.Shoshu dai-gohonzon is not available for study, likely others are also unavailable.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:56 am The Honmon Shoshu sect of Nichiren Buddhism was founded in 1288. A small sect, they have perhaps a thousand followers today. They claim, among much else, to have the "real" Dai- Gohonzon (which they call the "Dai-Honzon"), and that the one installed at Taisekiji is a fake.

Information on this group is scarce; there was once an English website at http:/honmonshoshu.fujimon.org but it's been down for years.
A Japanese website is also defunct but it can be accessed through wayback:
http://www.honmonji.ne.jp/

Fortunately for the connoisseurs of obscure doctrines, I have saved much of this otherwise-lost English-language information, a small selection of which I will present to you.

This school seems to involve a generous scoop of Shinto syncretism and other theories that fall far outside the mainstream of conventional Nichiren thought. I offer it not as an advocate, but simply out of detached historical and doctrinal interest. Enjoy this unusual doctrinal smorgasbord.

The living embodiment of Aizen & Fudo Myo-ou is Nichiren Daishounin refering to Himself. That is to say, via the Kankenki, Nichiren Daishounin expresses the inner awareness of His identity as the True Buddha through outwardly expressing Himself as the living embodiment of Aizen and Fudo Myo-ou.

Aizen & Fudo Myou-ou are the 2 personas located on the left and right of the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon respectively. They are the twin Laws (of the True Buddha) that guide all existence and bring order to the world. Aizen (ie. affection) represents the Buddha Law, and Fudo (ie. immovable) is the King Law. The former is the showering of the Buddha Law. The latter deals with the delivery of that Law. The Kanjin Honzon-sho states: “When the occasions requires shakubuku, the Four Bodhisattvas appear as Wise Kings who admonish and censure foolish kings, and when it is time for shoju, they appear as Priests to maintain and spread the Correct Law.”

Dainichi Nyorai (Great Sun Tathagata) in the context of the Kankenki, is not the provisional Vairochana (“Birushana 毘盧遮那”) per se preached by the Shingon Sect. The Dainichi Nyorai (大日如来) of the Kankenki is the alternate name for Oohi-rume-no-muchi (大日霊貴). That is to say, the full title of Dainichi Nyorai is Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin (天照大日霊貴大神) which is shortened to Tensho Daijin (天照大神); the Sun God. Tensho (天照) is the alternate pronunciation of Amaterasu (天照), meaning, “Heavenly Radiance” whose symbol is the Sun with 16 rays.

The “Nichi” (日) of Nichiren (日蓮) is the same “Nichi” as Dai (Nichi) Nyorai (大日如来). Nichi (日) means Sun. Calling Himself “Nichiren” is meant to show the direct link (連 ) from Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi to Himself. In other words, Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi is the prior form of Nichiren. From Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi-daijin (ie. Tensho Daijin) to Nichiren, the transmission of Myou-hou-ren-ge-kyou is represented by the Sacred Jewel; the Divine Seal of “An-Deingiru”, the Sky God of Tenjiku (天竺).

The statement: “Nichiren confers to the New Buddha” refer to a future third manifestation of the Sun God after Nichiren Daishounin. Put together, Dainichi Nyorai (ie. Amaterasu-oohi-rume-no-muchi), Nichiren, and the New Buddha are the Three Bodies revealed in the Juryo chapter of the Lotus Sutra as the Good Doctor (Ro-I 良医), the Father (Bu 父), and Messenger (Kenshi 遣使). The same Three Bodies appear also in the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon as the “Great Awakened World Honored One” (Dai-kaku-seson 大覚世尊), the Merciful Father (Ji-bu 慈父), and Bodhisattva Jogyo (上行普蕯).

Merciful Father is of course Nichiren Daishounin. And the Messenger is Bodhisattva Jogyo.

Now, what is the meaning of the Sun mentioned here? Is it the scorching sun in the sky, or what? The Sun (ie. Nichi) is actually a synonym for the True Buddha: Nichiren Daishounin. The radiance of the Sun is the Honmon no Daimoku (ie. The Good Wave Motion) shining forth from the Sun (ie. The Life of Nichiren Daishounin in the Hon-in-myou Daihonzon).

The Good Wave Motion (Hou 法) is the vibration (ie. hadou) within fundamental mass (Myou 妙) that supports Life. It is the Excellent Medicine for the Ten Thousand years of Mappo.
How can they make claim to "The One Principle Object of Worship for all mankind" and make such a glaring mistake about the Identity of the Eternal Buddha? It is impossible.

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

narhwal90 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:38 pm I took a spin thru the Mandala Workshop books, found one reference to an undated gohonzon at the Hota Myohon-ji temple, Kamakura. It may be another gohonzon in their collection, authored by Nichigo, referencing Nichimoku in its provenance. It is not of particular significance though does have Nagarjuna placed in its composition

Another search found a reference to the plank Honmon gohonzon as Mandala #16 in the gohonzonshu, visible here
https://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/ni ... u/016.html

Generally this seems to be a Fuji oriented school.

The Workshop book shows 8 examples plank gohonzons, some of which are devotionally enshrined, others decorative. In other materials they indicate the N.Shoshu dai-gohonzon is not available for study, likely others are also unavailable.
But they are under the Nichiren Shu banner, I believe...Go figure.

Mark
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

illarraza wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:20 am
But they are under the Nichiren Shu banner, I believe...Go figure.
No they are not. They are a seperate school, their own "Shu."

When researching this group it is very difficult to find information because even their Japanese web presence has disappeared (as of last year).

There are many groups and temples with "Honmon" in their name, so it can be very confusing. This is a small but specific shu (宗) with a long history that is not affiliated with any other shu.
The correct Japanese spelling is:
本門正宗

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

illarraza wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:15 am
How can they make claim to "The One Principle Object of Worship for all mankind" and make such a glaring mistake about the Identity of the Eternal Buddha? It is impossible.

Mark
Well we might as well get used to it...This sect was formed only a few years after The Master's passing away ..

I have always stuck to the different Buddhas before Lord Sakyamuni Buddha and then after His Period.

there is a number to the ones before and we are waiting for the Next Buddha Maitreya .

So the Eternal Buddha is something other...

I can see Nichiren being what they teach Him to be.

A manifestation of The Eternal buddha ..

but our schools have been over turned and no one knows anything but through faith...
faith He is faith He isn't ..Both...

So we should let this happen personally...

Let a strong practice enlighten you to the truth...cause trust me it's not nailed down in print as of 2021.

I had this revelation about Aizen and Fudo and The Daimoku and Nichiren Daishonin...and then this piece falls to earth from this member...

i was floored...

the thing is this ...intellectualizing your way to Buddhahood was the mistake shown by the story of Bodhisattva Shariputra ...

It comes from some other place deep inside your practice...

this constant one upmanship has to stop ...

no one sect can be proven right or wrong...they are all in the mix whether you like or not..

and having faith in This Eternal Buddha or that Eternal Buddha and arguing about it for decades now...meh...useless and counter productive.

Look at some guy who wandered into this section and said he cannot believe in this cause Nichiren was so against other schools of Buddhisms...which He wasn't...He knew all of Buddhism...used all this knowledge...prayed to Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara for wisdom..

what Nichiren Daishonin was debating was how the temples have turned into propaganda and power and money and influence....

He understood the concept of saying a few nembutsu chants gets you a ticket to eternity in heaven....thats governmental control ...same as the Christians used this paradigm and the Jews...He saw the abject poverty of honesty towards the Teachings....

it wasn't the teachings He was on about... it were the people who controlled the masses with it...

attaining Buddhahood is hard work over kalpas..not a few chants and everything is going to be peachy keean...drop a few coins in the box on the way out please..
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

"but our schools have been over turned and no one knows anything but through faith...faith He is faith He isn't ..Both..." Minobu

That is true. From the specific viewpoint, "one but not one" and from the general viewpoint, "two but not two."

"Considered in this light, it is evident that Vairochana Buddha depicted in the Flower Garland Sutra as sitting on a lotus pedestal, the sixteen-foot Shakyamuni described in the Āgama sutras, and the provisional Buddhas of the Correct and Equal, Wisdom, Golden Light, Amida, and Mahāvairochana sutras are no more than reflections of the Buddha of the “Life Span” chapter. They are like fleeting images of the moon in the sky mirrored on the surface of the water held in vessels of varying sizes. The wise men and scholars of the various schools are first of all confused as to [the nature of the Buddhas of] their own school, and more fundamentally, they are ignorant of [the Buddha of] the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra. As a result, they mistake the reflection of the moon on the water for the real moon shining in the sky. Some of them enter the water and try to grasp it with their hands, while others try to snare it with a rope. As the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai says, “They know nothing of the moon in the sky, but gaze only at the moon in the pond.” He means that those attached to the pre-Lotus Sutra teachings or the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra are not aware of the moon shining in the sky, but see only its reflection in the pond."

"When we consider the matter in this light, we can see that Vairochana Buddha seated on the lotus pedestal of the ten directions as described in the Flower Garland Sutra, the little Shakyamuni described in the Āgama sutras, and the provisional Buddhas described in the sutras of the Correct and Equal and the Wisdom periods such as the Golden Light, Amida, and Mahāvairochana sutras are no more than reflections of the Buddha of the “Life Span” chapter. They are like fleeting reflections of the moon that float on the surfaces of various large and small bodies of water. The scholars of the various schools of Buddhism, confused as to [the nature of the Buddhas of] their own school and, more fundamentally, ignorant of [the Buddha of] the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra, mistake the reflection in the water for the actual moon, some of them entering the water and trying to grasp it in their hands, others attempting to snare it with a rope. As T’ien-t’ai says, “They know nothing of the moon in the sky, but gaze only at the moon in the pond.”

"The three bodies are as follows: first, the Dharma body of a Thus Come One; second, the reward body of a Thus Come One; and third, the manifested body of a Thus Come One. These three types of bodies of a Thus Come One are invariably possessed by all Buddhas. If we use the moon as an illustration, we may say that the moon itself is comparable to the Dharma body, its light to the reward body, and its reflection to the manifested body. Just as a single moon has these three different aspects, so a single Buddha possesses the virtues of these three different bodies."

“Shakyamuni Buddha is like the moon in the heavens, and we are the reflection of the moon in the water..."

"Shakyamuni Buddha is like the one moon in the sky, and the various other Buddhas, bodhisattvas, and beings are like the reflections floating on ten thousand different bodies of water."

"But in the “Life Span” chapter of the Lotus Sutra, the truth of the matter is clearly explained. Thus we see that Shakyamuni Buddha is like the single moon in the sky, while the other Buddhas and bodhisattvas are like the reflection of the moon floating in ten thousand different bodies of water."

Return to “Nichiren”