What is the difference between unconditional love and compassion?

bcol01

What is the difference between unconditional love and compassion?

Post by bcol01 »

Is there any?
tkp67

Re: What is the difference between unconditional love and compassion?

Post by tkp67 »

You can unconditionally love someone and remain ignorant to their suffering. It can be active but still be a passive internal experience with no external expression.

The meaning of compassion is to recognize the suffering of others. Compassion embodies a tangible expression of love for those who are suffering.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

bcol01 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:29 pmIs there any?
I never know if you are asking for an overall Buddhist view, or a specifically Nichiren one, I don't know anything about the latter.

From an overall Buddhist view of the Four Immeasurables, love is typically the wish for others to be happy, whereas compassion is the wish that others be free of suffering. None of the four immeasurables (loving kindness, compassion, equanimity, sympathetic joy) is conditional.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

I always assumed if I was posting in the Nichiren area, it was about Nichiren.

When you say none of the four immeasurables are conditional, can you eleborate?
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm
I never know if you are asking for an overall Buddhist view, or a specifically Nichiren one, I don't know anything about the latter.

From an overall Buddhist view of the Four Immeasurables, love is typically the wish for others to be happy, whereas compassion is the wish that others be free of suffering. None of the four immeasurables (loving kindness, compassion, equanimity, sympathetic joy) is conditional.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

bcol01 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:25 pm I always assumed if I was posting in the Nichiren area, it was about Nichiren.

When you say none of the four immeasurables are conditional, can you eleborate?
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm

I assume the Four Immeasurable are somewhere in the Nichiren teaching too, so these things would hold true, but I do not know.

They are unconditional in a basic sense because we do not expect to gain anything by applying them, and are as non-discriminatory as we can be. I mean, we can go way deeper than that, but that's the simplest explanation.

So love or compassion which is conditional (often conditional based on one of the Eight Worldly Dharmas) is not really the same animal.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

they are but translated a bit differently
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

four infinite virtues Boundless pity, boundless compassion, boundless joy, and boundless impartiality. Pity here means to give living beings delight or happiness. Compassion means to remove their suffering. Joy means to rejoice at seeing them become free from suffering and gain happiness. And impartiality means to abandon attachments to love and hatred and be impartial toward everyone.
https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/dic/Content/F/168

four infinite virtues

Return to “Nichiren”