Why is Nichiren Buddhism (or at least its organizations) so dysfunctional?

tkp67

Re: Why is Nichiren Buddhism (or at least its organizations) so dysfunctional?

Post by tkp67 »

These two methods of shōju and shakubuku are like water and fire. Fire hates water, water detests fire. The practitioner of shōju laughs with scorn at shakubuku. The practitioner of shakubuku laments at the thought of shōju. When the country is full of evil people without wisdom, then shōju is the primary method to be applied, as described in the “Peaceful Practices” chapter. But at a time when there are many people of perverse views who slander the Law, then shakubuku should come first, as described in the “Never Disparaging” chapter. It is like using cold water to cool yourself in the hot weather, or longing for a fire when the weather turns cold. Grass and trees are kindred to the sun—they suffer in the cold moonlight. Bodies of water are followers of the moon—they lose their true nature when the hot weather comes.

In the Latter Day of the Law, however, both shōju and shakubuku are to be used. This is because there are two kinds of countries, the country that is passively evil,220 and the kind that actively seeks to destroy the Law. We must consider carefully to which category Japan at the present time belongs.
What country does the internet and all sentient beings who use it belong to?
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:58 pm
These two methods of shōju and shakubuku are like water and fire. Fire hates water, water detests fire. The practitioner of shōju laughs with scorn at shakubuku. The practitioner of shakubuku laments at the thought of shōju. When the country is full of evil people without wisdom, then shōju is the primary method to be applied, as described in the “Peaceful Practices” chapter. But at a time when there are many people of perverse views who slander the Law, then shakubuku should come first, as described in the “Never Disparaging” chapter. It is like using cold water to cool yourself in the hot weather, or longing for a fire when the weather turns cold. Grass and trees are kindred to the sun—they suffer in the cold moonlight. Bodies of water are followers of the moon—they lose their true nature when the hot weather comes.

In the Latter Day of the Law, however, both shōju and shakubuku are to be used. This is because there are two kinds of countries, the country that is passively evil,220 and the kind that actively seeks to destroy the Law. We must consider carefully to which category Japan at the present time belongs.
What country does the internet and all sentient beings who use it belong to?
It, of course belongs to the Saha World which in Mappo is characterized predominantly by the Three Poisons of Anger, Avarice, and Stupidity. I repeat, Nichiren practiced Shoju among his disciples and believers and shakubuku towards all others. Nichiren teaches:

"On the other hand, when I proclaim that the practitioners of the Nembutsu will fall into the hell of incessant suffering or declare that the Zen and True Word schools are likewise in error, people may think I am uttering harsh words, but in fact I am speaking truthful and gentle words. As an example, I may point to the fact that Dōzen-bō has embraced the Lotus Sutra and fashioned an image of Shakyamuni Buddha, actions that came about because I spoke harshly to him. And the same thing holds true for all the people of Japan. Ten or more years ago, virtually everyone was reciting the Nembutsu. But now, out of ten persons, you will find that one or two chant only Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, while two or three recite it along with the Nembutsu. And even among those who recite the Nembutsu exclusively, there are those who have begun to have doubts and so in their hearts believe in the Lotus Sutra; some have even begun to paint or carve images of Shakyamuni Buddha. All this, too, has come about because I have spoken harsh words."

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:44 am
illarraza wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:41 pm Since I believe in and practice the teachings of Nichiren and I back up what I write with the writings of Nichiren, your criticisms are unwarranted, I believe
The problem is Mark, you don't understand my criticisms so your belief is simply that. A belief. Nichiren was much more than a scriptural Buddhist.

I would be interested in seeing doctrine that says shakubuku via deep discourse of authentic gosho is preferable to daimoku.
Were Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism, solely the Daimoku, then why would Nichiren waste his time writing many thousands of passages on topics other than the Daimoku? There are two aspects to the practice of Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism: Practice for oneself (the chanting of Daimoku) and practice for others (Shoju and Shakubulu). Nichiren taught both. Likewise, there are Three Jewels and Three Great Secret Laws, not One Jewel and One Great Secret Law (although Nichiren and most sects teach that the Jewel and Secret Law of the Daimoku encompasses the other two).

Nichiren also criticized, even those who chant the Daimoku.

Those who teach "Lesser doctrines", ie: Value creationism; human revolution; shoju in the degenerate age towards those who would destroy the Lotus Sutra and shakubuku towards the faithful disciples and believers of Nichiren; mentor-disciple as the prime point of the Lotus Sutra; the inequality of those who chant the Daimoku; "the purpose of the Juryo-hon is to smash the Hoben-pon and the purpose of Daimoku is to smash the Juryo-hon"; Nichiren is True Buddha; Namu Myoho renge kyo is true Buddha; sect is Buddha; Insisting that Nam Myoho renge kyo rather than Namu Myoho renge kyo is correct; the Lotus Sutra has lost it's efficacy in Mappo; the common man can not understand the Lotus Sutra or Gosho in Mappo; prayers repaying one's debt of gratitude to x,y,z, rather than that owed Shakyamuni Buddha and Nichiren; the Six World Gohonzon equal or superior to the Ten World Gohonzon; personal guidance; insisting that the families not in a certain sect will have children with "deformities, mental retardation or madness" ; the list goes on and on. The principle, "innumerable meanings derive from one Law", doesn't mean that any base or mistaken concept is the Lotus Sutra Buddhism of Nichiren.

Some here and in other quarters should look in the mirror before criticizing me.

Mark
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Mark,

I get that you are rebuking a variety of other Nichiren schools, to correct their (mine among them) behavior, but for clarity's sake could you detail the correct practices and attitudes? ie what is the profile of the correctly practicing Nichiren practitioner, activities, beliefs and so on?

Greg
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:07 pm Mark,

I get that you are rebuking a variety of other Nichiren schools, to correct their (mine among them) behavior, but for clarity's sake could you detail the correct practices and attitudes? ie what is the profile of the correctly practicing Nichiren practitioner, activities, beliefs and so on?

Greg
"Just a suggestion but would it be possible to post more info on how to really dive into the teachings for a new be coming into the Nichiren fold?there isn't much info out there other than by "those that shan't be named." or others with there own agenda. would it be possible to maybe post some things that show how one can begin, continue and develop their practice for the long haul and integrate into everyday life from an authentic point not from a watered down, mixed point like what is being peddled as Nichiren Buddhism." -- Josh

To begin to dive into the teachings, determine to chant Namu Myoho renge kyo for, at least, 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening. You may also recite portions of the 2nd and 16th Chapters of the Lotus Sutra in Sino-Japanese or your native language. You may find Sutra books containing these two chapters on line. From time to time you may also recite any or all of the Lotus Sutra as did Nichiren. I would avoid all sectarian prayers before or after your recitation of the Lotus Sutra unless they are based on the Lotus Sutra and writings of Nichiren. You may add your own personal prayers either before, after, or both before and after your recitation of Namu Myoho renge kyo and the Lotus Sutra. Your personal prayers too should be based on the Lotus Sutra and writings of Nichiren. They may be recited out loud or silently.

Choose a clean area of your home and set up an altar with blank wall, altar table, covered water cup [to change the water daily], vase for fresh flowers or evergreens [which should never be left on to wither and die], food bowl for offering fresh fruit [and try never to let the fruit rot], bell, incense dish, and candle holder. Initially, you may place a copy of the Lotus Sutra and a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha on the altar [be sure that it is Guatama or Shakyamuni and not Amida]. Make a great indestructible vow to continue chanting Namu Myoho renge kyo until the last moment of your life. To help you to continuously renew and strengthen your vow, it is necessary several things: To study the Lotus Sutra and the writings of Nichiren Daishonin on a daily basis if possible; to take as your teachers Shakyamuni Buddha of the Original Doctrine [Shakyamuni of the 16th Chapter of the Lotus Sutra] and Nichiren Daishonin, the Supreme Votary of the Lotus Sutra. Integrating the teachings into your daily life is to chant the title of the Lotus Sutra with the same faith as Nichiren. When your vow is firm, you may ask your friend or family member who introduced you to the faith and practice to bestow upon you a mandala Gohonzon or you may print off a mandala Gohonzon and either frame it or mount it on a blank wall scroll. You should perform an Eye Opening Ceremony when you receive the Gohonzon. It can be found online. The Gohonzon should be placed on the wall above seated eye level or placed in a cabinet called a Butsudan [if you have pets or are surrounded by those who oppose your practice]. You should protect the Gohonzon. You may place a statue of Shakyamuni Buddha (and/or a statue of Nichiren Daishonin) and a copy of the Lotus Sutra on the altar. Usually, the statues and copy of the Lotus Sutra are placed in the middle in front of the Gohonzon but this is not a hard and fast rule. Nichiren was not absolutely clear as to the structure of a valid object of worship [devotion], be it a painted [inscribed] or a statue arrangement. This accounts for the different styles and arrangements of the objects of worship of the various sects. You can't go wrong with a copy of a Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon, particularly those from the Koan Era (1288 - 1281). .

There are two types of practice: The practice for oneself and the practice for others. The practice for oneself is to chant Namu Myoho renge kyo. We may also chant parts of the 2nd Chapter of the Lotus Sutra and the 16th Chapter of the Lotus Sutra (either the entire 16th Chapter or the verse section alone). The practice for others can be further broken down into the peaceful practices and the forceful practices. Only the priests must perform both practices. Laymen and laywomen may or may not perform the forceful practices depending on their abilities. Nichiren performed principally the peaceful practices regarding his disciples and believers and principally the forceful practices regarding the believers and practitioners of other faiths.

You will develop and integrate your faith and practice by following the Master Nichiren and adopting his manner of reading the Lotus Sutra [a bodily reading].

Nichiren teaches and I paraphrase: "There are two main reasons people make mistakes in their Buddhist practice...they are ignorant of the real teachings, and they follow bad teachers."

To avoid ignorance of the teachings, you should study the Lotus Sutra and the authenticated writings of Nichiren Daishonin. Several scholars and priests have determined which are authentic writings (definitely or probably) of Nichiren and which are forged writings. You should seek their writings on the subject. Studying the Five Major writings of Nichiren and their various translations are a good starting point. Please remember that the writings of Nichiren are ultimately consistent. If you read something purported to be from Nichiren and it is inconsistent with the Five Major Works or the entire canon of Nichiren, it is suspect. Please also remember that Nichiren developed his teachings. The earlier authentic teachings should be weighted against the authentic teachings during and after his exile on Sado Island with one exception: Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land written in 1260 is one of the Five Major Works and considered by some to be on par with the Opening of the Eyes and the True Object of Worship (A Treatise Revealing the Spiritual Contemplation and the Object of Worship for the First Time in the Fifth 500 year period after the Death of Shakyamuni Buddha)

The objective of the Nichiren faith is Supreme and Perfect Enlightenment or Buddhahood. In order to achieve such an exalted state one must perform a bodily reading of the Lotus Sutra as did Nichiren. By striving to have the same faith as Nichiren, you will be protected by the Buddhas, bodhisattvas, and Buddhist gods throughout the universe. To avoid following bad teachers, the only teachers to rely on are Shakyamuni of the Juryo (16th) Chapter of the Lotus Sutra (Gohonzon) and Nichiren Daishonin, the Supreme Votary of the Lotus Sutra.

Mark
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

illarraza wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:48 pm
illarraza wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:41 pm Since I believe in and practice the teachings of Nichiren and I back up what I write with the writings of Nichiren, your criticisms are unwarranted, I believe
The problem is Mark, you don't understand my criticisms so your belief is simply that. A belief. Nichiren was much more than a scriptural Buddhist.

I would be interested in seeing doctrine that says shakubuku via deep discourse of authentic gosho is preferable to daimoku.
Were Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism, solely the Daimoku, then why would Nichiren waste his time writing many thousands of passages on topics other than the Daimoku? There are two aspects to the practice of Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism: Practice for oneself (the chanting of Daimoku) and practice for others (Shoju and Shakubulu). Nichiren taught both. Likewise, there are Three Jewels and Three Great Secret Laws, not One Jewel and One Great Secret Law (although Nichiren and most sects teach that the Jewel and Secret Law of the Daimoku encompasses the other two).

Those who teach "Lesser doctrines", ie: Value creationism; human revolution; shoju in the degenerate age towards those who would destroy the Lotus Sutra and shakubuku towards the faithful disciples and believers of Nichiren; mentor-disciple as the prime point of the Lotus Sutra; the inequality of those who chant the Daimoku; "the purpose of the Juryo-hon is to smash the Hoben-pon and the purpose of Daimoku is to smash the Juryo-hon"; Nichiren is True Buddha; Namu Myoho renge kyo is true Buddha; sect is Buddha; Insisting that Nam Myoho renge kyo rather than Namu Myoho renge kyo is correct; the Lotus Sutra has lost it's efficacy in Mappo; the common man can not understand the Lotus Sutra or Gosho in Mappo; prayers repaying one's debt of gratitude to x,y,z, rather than that owed Shakyamuni Buddha and Nichiren; the Six World Gohonzon equal or superior to the Ten World Gohonzon; personal guidance; insisting that the families not in a certain sect will have children with "deformities, mental retardation or madness" ; the list goes on and on. The principle, "innumerable meanings derive from one Law", doesn't mean that any base or mistaken concept is the Lotus Sutra Buddhism of Nichiren.

Some here and in other quarters should look in the mirror before criticizing me.

Mark
You did not answer my question directly. Instead you inverted the question making an implication that was never stated. Nowhere did I suggest Nichiren practice be condensed to just Daimoku. That is a fabrication of your own mind projected onto me. What I am relaying is that Nichiren created the Daimoku for a very specific purpose and it is perfectly suited for those whose capacity is limited to Daimoku only.

Nichiren understood all minds as did Shakyamuni buddha and in this regards their teachings are perfect. I am not picking and choosing teachings on what appeals to me. I never critiqued your own scriptural practice. I do question your understanding of such outside your own mind based on the avoidance of several pointed questions specifically regarding those of "lesser" capacity, causes and conditions. You still haven't qualified or quantified the cause and effect in the differences between the use of nam vs namu.

I do find it very interesting that you have no issue critiquing millions of practitioners based on their school and then get upset when you yourself are questioned in regards to practice. What makes you beyond reproach? What makes you more than the ordinary human Nichiren claimed to be?
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Personally I can't think of a greater slander against the Lotus Sutra or Buddhism to deny the key feature of Shayamuni's enlightenment which is compassionate understanding of the suffering all minds regardless of cause, condition and capacity experience.

That is why Nichiren make the Daimoku, to fulfill the wish of the buddhas. If everyone had the capacity to be scriptural perfected there would be no need Daimoku. They key is faith not an attachment to language.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

tkp67 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:01 am
illarraza wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Mark
You did not answer my question directly. Instead you inverted the question making an implication that was never stated. Nowhere did I suggest Nichiren practice be condensed to just Daimoku. That is a fabrication of your own mind projected onto me. What I am relaying is that Nichiren created the Daimoku for a very specific purpose and it is perfectly suited for those whose capacity is limited to Daimoku only.

Nichiren understood all minds as did Shakyamuni buddha and in this regards their teachings are perfect. I am not picking and choosing teachings on what appeals to me. I never critiqued your own scriptural practice. I do question your understanding of such outside your own mind based on the avoidance of several pointed questions specifically regarding those of "lesser" capacity, causes and conditions. You still haven't qualified or quantified the cause and effect in the differences between the use of nam vs namu.

I do find it very interesting that you have no issue critiquing millions of practitioners based on their school and then get upset when you yourself are questioned in regards to practice. What makes you beyond reproach? What makes you more than the ordinary human Nichiren claimed to be?
There are several ways we may ascertain whether Namu Myoho renge kyo or Nam Myoho renge kyo is correct or more effective: Compare the behavior of those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo with those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo. For example those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo don't worship a god-man or High Priest. We can also discuss the various cases of murder and abuses of those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo and the darth of such behavior among those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo; a debate between those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo and those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo; a rain challenge or other actual proof challenge such as who demonstrates to a greater extent the 20 principle benefits of the Lotus Sutra, or exhibits to a greater extent a bodily reading of the Lotus Sutra?

Yes, regarding those with low capacity, those who merely have faith in the Daimoku...The Atsuhara Martyrs come to mind. However, they had a learned priest with whom to discuss correct faith and doctrine in a manner in which they could understand. Are you such a believer with low capacity? I don't believe so.

Correct doctrine was very important to Nichiren. If one plugs in "doctrine" into the SGI Library major works search engine, you find more than NINE HUNDRED references to doctrine. Here are some examples:

"They are persons who have abandoned a great doctrine and instead chosen lesser doctrines. If we judge from examples in the past, they will probably suffer for countless kalpas in the three evil paths. It is persons such as these that T’ient’ai meant when he said, “If they encounter an evil friend, they will lose their true mind.” (On the Four Stages of Faith).

"They cling to incomplete doctrines and are attached to receiving alms and being treated with deference; they recognize only false doctrines, distance themselves from good friends, approach with familiarity such slanderers who delight in attachment to the teachings of the lesser vehicle, and do not believe in the great vehicle. Therefore they slander the Law of the Buddhas."

A person of wisdom should not fear enemy households, snakes, the poison of fire, the god Indra, the roll of thunder, attacks by swords and staves, or wild beasts such as tigers, wolves, and lions. For these can only destroy one’s life, but cannot cause one to fall into the Avichi hell, which is truly terrifying. What one should fear is slander of the profound teaching as well as companions who are slanderers, for these will surely cause one to fall into the frightful Avichi hell. Even if one befriends evil companions and with evil intent spills the Buddha’s blood, kills one’s own father and mother, takes the lives of many sages, disrupts the unity of the Buddhist Order, and destroys all one’s roots of goodness, if one fixes one’s mind on the correct teaching, one can free oneself from that place. But if there is someone who slanders the inconceivably profound teaching, that person will for immeasurable kalpas be unable to obtain emancipation. However, if there is one who can cause others to awaken to and take faith in a teaching such as this, then that person is their father and mother, and also their good friend. This is a person of wisdom. After the Thus Come One’s passing, that person corrects false views and perverse thoughts, and causes people to enter the true way. For that reason, he has pure faith in the three treasures, and his virtuous actions lead others to enlightenment.” (The Problem to be Pondered Night and Day)

"It is a rare thing to be born as a human being. And if, having been born as such, you do not do your best to distinguish between the correct doctrine and the incorrect so that in the future you may attain Buddhahood, then you are certainly not fulfilling your true worth as a human being." (On Prayer)

Not sharing Nichiren's doctrines on the Lotus Sutra and Eternal Buddha, the SGI member's happiness, which is based on provisional teachings, can only be considered an ephemeral happiness.

Nichiren quotes Tientai: "To liberate oneself from the [three-fold] world by means of the provisional [teachings] is called an ephemeral liberation." (Third Doctrine)

and

"...T’ien-t’ai and Miao-lo are commenting on this passage. In this passage of the sutra, all the teachings, from the Flower Garland Sutra, which was expounded immediately after the Buddha’s enlightenment and which combines both specific and perfect teachings, to the fourteen chapters that comprise the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra, are termed “inferior teachings.” Those who delight in them are called people “meager in virtue and heavy with defilement,” and the liberation achieved through them is shown to be an ephemeral liberation." (ibid. Third Doctrine)

The peaceful practices of the Soka Gakkai, engaging the provisional Buddhists, the Christians and the Muslims, in "warm and constructive dialogue" are those practices of the first fourteen chapters of the Lotus Sutra.

"There is no true happiness other than upholding faith in the Lotus Sutra. This is what is meant by “peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences.”" (Happiness in this World)

"Now, if you wish to attain Buddhahood, you have only to lower the banner of your arrogance, cast aside the staff of your anger, and devote yourself exclusively to the one vehicle of the Lotus Sutra. Worldly fame and profit are mere baubles of your present existence, and arrogance and prejudice are ties that will fetter you in the next one. Ah, you should be ashamed of them! And you should fear them, too!" (Embracing the Lotus Sutra)

Teaching children the mere baubles of how to become Trillionaires through chanting the Daimoku, is hardly the faith and practice of the Lotus Sutra. Other examples of mistaken Buddhist teachings are too numerous to count.

Some say that I want to usurp and take this truth (the wondrous reality of the Mystic Law) away from them. I seek only to take away mistaken beliefs as a strong wind blows away the clouds to reveal the crystal clear moon.

Ignore Nichiren at your own peril.

Mark
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

I have to agree that shakabuku / shoju/any sort of propagation is part and parcel to Nichiren's Buddhism.

Most Buddhist schools don't actively go into Proselytism , but this is different , for it is mappo and all of the Buddha's teachings other than Lotus sutra are counterfeit at this time.

Buddhist schools say they don't do Proselytism , and yet billboards advertising Tibetan Teachers and and teachings are very much public.

Social media like this place has Tibetans advertising their wares.. So it's hypocritical .

Ilarraza is just being honest about our practice .

It's vital for Lotus Buddhism to flourish and bring about true liberation and the reality we dwell in.

We all need to reset , and reset and reset...together and together and together...

lets put aside our own narratives and stick to what we all know is the truth.

ilarraza does not input his personal narrative...he is just going by the rules laid out by Nichiren.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Minobu wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 pm I have to agree that shakabuku / shoju/any sort of propagation is part and parcel to Nichiren's Buddhism.

Most Buddhist schools don't actively go into Proselytism , but this is different , for it is mappo and all of the Buddha's teachings other than Lotus sutra are counterfeit at this time.

Buddhist schools say they don't do Proselytism , and yet billboards advertising Tibetan Teachers and and teachings are very much public.

Social media like this place has Tibetans advertising their wares.. So it's hypocritical .

Ilarraza is just being honest about our practice .

It's vital for Lotus Buddhism to flourish and bring about true liberation and the reality we dwell in.

We all need to reset , and reset and reset...together and together and together...

lets put aside our own narratives and stick to what we all know is the truth.

ilarraza does not input his personal narrative...he is just going by the rules laid out by Nichiren.
TY. All Nichiren recommends is that we do our best.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

illarraza wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm There are several ways we may ascertain whether Namu Myoho renge kyo or Nam Myoho renge kyo is correct or more effective: Compare the behavior of those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo with those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo. For example those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo don't worship a god-man or High Priest.
This implies that all people who chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo are SGI. It is an assumption that over reaches and cannot be qualified.

According to you I should base the lack of integrity based on what you chant. Instead I will give you the opportunity to re-frame this in a logical and reasonable manner.
We can also discuss the various cases of murder and abuses of those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo and the darth of such behavior among those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo; a debate between those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo and those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo; a rain challenge or other actual proof challenge such as who demonstrates to a greater extent the 20 principle benefits of the Lotus Sutra, or exhibits to a greater extent a bodily reading of the Lotus Sutra?
You are claiming such attainment you can not only name every Nichiren practitioner of each type and know fruits of their existences from beginningless time to now?

Please the proof of this because I believe your claim is so fantastic it must be counterfeit.
Yes, regarding those with low capacity, those who merely have faith in the Daimoku...The Atsuhara Martyrs come to mind. However, they had a learned priest with whom to discuss correct faith and doctrine in a manner in which they could understand. Are you such a believer with low capacity? I don't believe so.
No I am not. However I am also cognizant that every one of these posts will be available to searches, potentially for perpetuity. These are not private conversations from one mind to another but open conversations to all minds at all levels of development.

If I lacked any level of wherewithal I would not be a Nichiren buddhist specifically because of the contradiction between the writings, the lotus, and the behavior the banal contentions online. I understood that dynamic well from religion.

Many people have a bad taste in their mouth in regards to this practice because of the vilification of the SGI online. That is not repaying one's debt to the buddhas but is denying the seeds of buddhism to those who can't discriminate.

Remember the SGI still references the same sutra.
Correct doctrine was very important to Nichiren. If one plugs in "doctrine" into the SGI Library major works search engine, you find more than NINE HUNDRED references to doctrine. Here are some examples:

"They are persons who have abandoned a great doctrine and instead chosen lesser doctrines. If we judge from examples in the past, they will probably suffer for countless kalpas in your the three evil paths. It is persons such as these that T’ient’ai meant when he said, “If they encounter an evil friend, they will lose their true mind.” (On the Four Stages of Faith).

"They cling to incomplete doctrines and are attached to receiving alms and being treated with deference; they recognize only false doctrines, distance themselves from good friends, approach with familiarity such slanderers who delight in attachment to the teachings of the lesser vehicle, and do not believe in the great vehicle. Therefore they slander the Law of the Buddhas."

A person of wisdom should not fear enemy households, snakes, the poison of fire, the god Indra, the roll of thunder, attacks by swords and staves, or wild beasts such as tigers, wolves, and lions. For these can only destroy one’s life, but cannot cause one to fall into the Avichi hell, which is truly terrifying. What one should fear is slander of the profound teaching as well as companions who are slanderers, for these will surely cause one to fall into the frightful Avichi hell. Even if one befriends evil companions and with evil intent spills the Buddha’s blood, kills one’s own father and mother, takes the lives of many sages, disrupts the unity of the Buddhist Order, and destroys all one’s roots of goodness, if one fixes one’s mind on the correct teaching, one can free oneself from that place. But if there is someone who slanders the inconceivably profound teaching, that person will for immeasurable kalpas be unable to obtain emancipation. However, if there is one who can cause others to awaken to and take faith in a teaching such as this, then that person is their father and mother, and also their good friend. This is a person of wisdom. After the Thus Come One’s passing, that person corrects false views and perverse thoughts, and causes people to enter the true way. For that reason, he has pure faith in the three treasures, and his virtuous actions lead others to enlightenment.” (The Problem to be Pondered Night and Day)

"It is a rare thing to be born as a human being. And if, having been born as such, you do not do your best to distinguish between the correct doctrine and the incorrect so that in the future you may attain Buddhahood, then you are certainly not fulfilling your true worth as a human being." (On Prayer)

Not sharing Nichiren's doctrines on the Lotus Sutra and Eternal Buddha, the SGI member's happiness, which is based on provisional teachings, can only be considered an ephemeral happiness.

Nichiren quotes Tientai: "To liberate oneself from the [three-fold] world by means of the provisional [teachings] is called an ephemeral liberation." (Third Doctrine)

and

"...T’ien-t’ai and Miao-lo are commenting on this passage. In this passage of the sutra, all the teachings, from the Flower Garland Sutra, which was expounded immediately after the Buddha’s enlightenment and which combines both specific and perfect teachings, to the fourteen chapters that comprise the theoretical teaching of the Lotus Sutra, are termed “inferior teachings.” Those who delight in them are called people “meager in virtue and heavy with defilement,” and the liberation achieved through them is shown to be an ephemeral liberation." (ibid. Third Doctrine)

The peaceful practices of the Soka Gakkai, engaging the provisional Buddhists, the Christians and the Muslims, in "warm and constructive dialogue" are those practices of the first fourteen chapters of the Lotus Sutra.

"There is no true happiness other than upholding faith in the Lotus Sutra. This is what is meant by “peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences.”" (Happiness in this World)

"Now, if you wish to attain Buddhahood, you have only to lower the banner of your arrogance, cast aside the staff of your anger, and devote yourself exclusively to the one vehicle of the Lotus Sutra. Worldly fame and profit are mere baubles of your present existence, and arrogance and prejudice are ties that will fetter you in the next one. Ah, you should be ashamed of them! And you should fear them, too!" (Embracing the Lotus Sutra)
But if after the Buddha has entered extinction, in that evil world of the latter age, one can preach the Lotus Sutra just as it teaches, that will be difficult.
All disciples and believers of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with one mind (itai doshin), transcending all differences among themselves13 to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim. This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate law of life and death. Herein lies the true goal of Nichiren's propagation. When you are so united, even the great hope for kosen-rufu can be fulfilled without fail. But if any of Nichiren's disciples should disrupt the unity of itai doshin, he will destroy his own castle from within.
Shakubuku between sects online slanders destroys the castle from within. I could not be more clear on the matter.

Teaching children the mere baubles of how to become Trillionaires through chanting the Daimoku, is hardly the faith and practice of the Lotus Sutra. Other examples of mistaken Buddhist teachings are too numerous to count.
While this is not to my particular tastes it makes sense. This is how those of no belief (in buddha nature/realms of mind) learn to believe in something. This represents/supports both incorrigible believers and evil people. Yes they are chanting to fulfill desires. Earthly desires. This should lead to enlightenment, should it not?

This sutra is for those people specifically is it not?
Some say that I want to usurp and take this truth (the wondrous reality of the Mystic Law) away from them. I seek only to take away mistaken beliefs as a strong wind blows away the clouds to reveal the crystal clear moon.

Mark
I am not ignoring Nichiren, nor do I fear for my mind or body in servitude to the buddha of the ten directions and three times.

Also some know the moon is but a reflection of the sun.

:anjali:
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

tkp67 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 am
illarraza wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm There are several ways we may ascertain whether Namu Myoho renge kyo or Nam Myoho renge kyo is correct or more effective: Compare the behavior of those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo with those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo. For example those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo don't worship a god-man or High Priest.
This implies that all people who chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo are SGI. It is an assumption that over reaches and cannot be qualified.

According to you I should base the lack of integrity based on what you chant. Instead I will give you the opportunity to re-frame this in a logical and reasonable manner.
We can also discuss the various cases of murder and abuses of those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo and the darth of such behavior among those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo; a debate between those who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo and those who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo; a rain challenge or other actual proof challenge such as who demonstrates to a greater extent the 20 principle benefits of the Lotus Sutra, or exhibits to a greater extent a bodily reading of the Lotus Sutra?
You are claiming such attainment you can not only name every Nichiren practitioner of each type and know fruits of their existences from beginningless time to now?

Please the proof of this because I believe your claim is so fantastic it must be counterfeit.
No I am not. However I am also cognizant that every one of these posts will be available to searches, potentially for perpetuity. These are not private conversations from one mind to another but open conversations to all minds at all levels of development.

If I lacked any level of wherewithal I would not be a Nichiren buddhist specifically because of the contradiction between the writings, the lotus, and the behavior the banal contentions online. I understood that dynamic well from religion.

Many people have a bad taste in their mouth in regards to this practice because of the vilification of the SGI online. That is not repaying one's debt to the buddhas but is denying the seeds of buddhism to those who can't discriminate.

Remember the SGI still references the same sutra.

"They are persons who have abandoned a great doctrine and instead chosen lesser doctrines. If we judge from examples in the past, they will probably suffer for countless kalpas in your the three evil paths. It is persons such as these that T’ient’ai meant when he said, “If they encounter an evil friend, they will lose their true mind.” (On the Four Stages of Faith).

and

But if after the Buddha has entered extinction, in that evil world of the latter age, one can preach the Lotus Sutra just as it teaches, that will be difficult.
All disciples and believers of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with one mind (itai doshin), transcending all differences among themselves13 to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim. This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate law of life and death. Herein lies the true goal of Nichiren's propagation. When you are so united, even the great hope for kosen-rufu can be fulfilled without fail. But if any of Nichiren's disciples should disrupt the unity of itai doshin, he will destroy his own castle from within.
Shakubuku between sects online slanders destroys the castle from within. I could not be more clear on the matter.

While this is not to my particular tastes it makes sense. This is how those of no belief (in buddha nature/realms of mind) learn to believe in something. This represents/supports both incorrigible believers and evil people. Yes they are chanting to fulfill desires. Earthly desires. This should lead to enlightenment, should it not?

This sutra is for those people specifically is it not?

Mark
I am not ignoring Nichiren, nor do I fear for my mind or body in servitude to the buddha of the ten directions and three times.

Also some know the moon is but a reflection of the sun.

Never, in my 40+ years of practicing the Nichiren faith have I seen or heard, not even once, such evil behavior as exhibited SGI members who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo exclusively. You can not cite one person who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo who exhibits such aberrant or abhorent behaviors.

Is this the behavior of Buddhas:

https://markrogow.blogspot.com/2019/10/i-agree.html

How about this?

"I am a member of Soka Gakkai and I am writing to you after reading your article ... it is disconcerting for me to determine the amount of crap that is collected on your page "

"... I suggest you delete all the crap you write against the Soka Gakkai, otherwise I'll do it for you."

"... All you do is attack. For a true Buddhist it is a shame but since YOU'RE NOT a true Buddhist, I understand why you act that way.... "

"I have nothing to add except that I shall undertake to fully investigate the purpose of your website and whether it violates articles of all Buddhas, including the ancient Buddha Many Treasures, followers of Shakyamuni Buddha?

Actual SGI slanders towards me...

"He is a misogynist", 'He seethes with hatred," "You are a hater", "foaming-at-the- mouth, exclusivist, seemingly hate-filled", "You are a serious hatemonger and it is shameful that you would ever consider yourself a "buddhist.", "I'm not sure if he is a hater." "I will respond to hate-speech, the posting of burning Gohonzons. the generalizations, racism, and distortions by Mark Rogow.", "You are embittered and hate filled", "You are a hateful Buddhist.", "If you need a straight male priest to tell you what to do, that's fine, be ok with it and end the slander of that which you hate (in your own heart). There is no corruption outside of you, only in your heart.", "What a sad life condition", "This isn't "free speech", "moderators, this is hate speech.", "You are filled with hate.". "The most dangerous thing to a bigot is to know the object of his hate and fear.", "With your ever present hate, you slander the good SGI members", "Your hate rants are tiresome", "You are a racist", "You are a fascist", "He calls for violence against the SGI", "bitter", psychotic", " He must be "drinking", "smoking","cowardly", "ignorant", "doing drugs", how evil they are is beyond words. I hope to meet some of you some day. I will make you sorry you were ever born.", "fool", "foolish", "deluded", "devil", "evil", "hateful lying xxx", "counterfeit Buddhist", "conceited", "egotistical", "xenophobic", "pathetic fascist, asshole", "perpetrator of medicare fraud", "offensive", "no knowledge", "no wisdom", "lacking faith", "nutty", "Bodhisattva Fukyu." (I have left out the more than dozen curses heaped upon me).

Despite my severe criticism of the Nichiren Shu, they who predominantly chant Namu Myoho renge kyo, never once was I cursed and vilified.

Is the prime point of the Lotus Sutra, the mentor disciple relationship. Has the Lotus Sutra lost its power in Mappo. Could you please tell me where anywhere in the universe "Buddhas" seek guidance from Buddhas? Are there SGI Buddhas and SGI BUDDHAS. Since when is an intermediary necessary in Buddhism? Are all Nichiren priests evil? How about Nichiren Daishonin? Is Nam Myoho renge kyo correct, never Namu Myoho renge kyo.

There is, at least one SGI mass murderer and two Japanese SGI serial killers that I know of. One stabbed eight children to death at the Ikeda Elementary School and the two serial killers are a couple who killed elderly people after conning them into taking out life insurance policies in their name. There is the top Ireland Woman's Division Leader who was stabbed to death by her SGI husband.

Soka Gakkai members and leaders lie so effortlessly:

"Meanwhile here's a fact: In it's 67 year history, not one Soka Gakkai member has been indicted or charged, let alone convicted of any act of violence against all those who claim to be its victims. Not one. Take what you need and leave the rest." -- SGI spinning dervish

Jean Gilbert, SGI Ireland’s Womens Division Leader was brutally murdered in front of her three children by her SGI "Buddhist" husband.

Earthly Desires Equal Enlightenment in the Soka Gakkai is taught from the perspective of a common mortal rather from the perspective of the Buddha.

The members are taught by their leaders that any desire or goal the member has, as long as they chant Nam Myoho renge kyo, is equal to Enlightenment. They are encouraged to chant for cars, boyfriends, houses, fame, even drugs and sex and that is equal to Enlightenment at the moment the desire is fulfilled.

The Wish Granting Jewel to these base depraved men and women of the Soka Gakkai who exclusively chant Nam Myoho renge kyo is not the Great Wish for attaining Buddhahood that is bound to the Pure and Perfect Consciousness hidden in the core of being [Amala] but rather those common shallow wishes bound to the Five [Sense] Desires [Touch, Taste, Smell, Hearing and Vision]

Since this matter is of utmost importance, I will give two examples of Soka Gakkai leaders who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo. believed faithfully in this perverted doctrines of the Soka Gakkai.

One was the top senior leader of a country who lived and breathed the Soka Gakkai and every doctrine and principle taught therein. She was a physically beautiful women of forty five years old with golden blond hair, bright green eyes and a near boundless determination to spread the twisted teachings of the Soka Gakkai, such as the primacy of the Oneness of Mentor and Disciple and Enlightenment Equals Earthly Desires. Married for fifteen years, she had three beautiful children, five, seven and eight years old, and a husband who worshipped the ground she walked on. He was absolutely supportive of her practice which kept her away from home for long periods, doing those insipid slanderous Gakkai activities. The husband, though having a business of his own, split the duties of taking care of the children with a nanny and he was content because he loved his wife and children and was willing to sacrifice whatever it took to make his wife and children happy and to promote the Gakkai’s vision of “Spreading the True Teachings” [Kosen Rufu].

During one of these activities, ten years earlier, she met another top senior leader in the Men’s Division and they immediately hit it off, having so many things in common: Their love and admiration for Sensei; endless activities for “Kosen Rufu”; and spouses and families who chant and support them. Her feelings for this man however, far surpassed those of a mere comrade in faith. Every day for ten years, morning and evening, when she did Gongyo and Daimoku, she always included in her prayers the wish to be with this man. Out of the blue he contacted her revealing his very same desire to be with her. They began an affair and then they both determined in front of the Soka Gakkai no-honzon that they would leave their spouses and be together thus realizing in their very bodies the Gakkai teaching of Earthly Desires are Equal to Enlightenment. They chanted and planned, planned and chanted for everything to go the way that it “must’ since their desires are equal to Enlightenment.

This was the day. This was the day she would tell her husband that she found her true soulmate and she had chanted long and hard about it and it would be. Not 10 seconds after she had told him, he ran to the kitchen, picked up a kitchen knife, and in front of their three children he stabbed her four times in the back. She lingered in agony for several hours.

The Soka Gakkai rising star who landed on FBI's most wanted list was captured in Mexico:

http://alt.religion.buddhism.nichiren.n ... yone#post2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... exico.html

The Soka Gakkai has its Code of Conduct for Leaders because Ikedaism has no ability to create Buddhas. Furthermore, there are so many guidelines for SGI members that they might as well be practicing precepts like the "peaceful" Theravadan Buddhist monks in Burma.

This is the result of the perverted teachings of the Soka Gakkai that makes common mortals out of Buddhas.

https://markrogow.blogspot.com/2015/03/ ... -from.html

15. Claim of Kechi-myaku (True Inheritors) by T. Hirano

For the obvious reason, Soka Gakkai did not favor the idea of going independent. It maintains that the Nichiren Shoshu must be reformed under Ikeda's leadership and calls for High Priest Nikken to resign. To Soka Gakkai, Nichiren Shoshu becomes Nikken Shu (Nikken Sect) and Nikken, once regarded as Soka Gakkai's High Priest, is being condemned as Tenma (Demon from the Sky). To suit the occasion, Soka Gakkai also revised its books and study materials on the Nichiren Shoshu's doctrines, especially on the point of Kechi-myaku (true inheritors) of Nichiren and Nikko.

For example, Ikeda, in his book, 'Buddhism in Action', said that 'Presently, as you know, the 67th High Priest, Nikken, has inherited the Law. Now he is the master of 'True' Buddhism....'; that 'The Gohonzon, which we are allowed to receive so that we can pray in our own home, can be inscribed only by one of the successive high priests who inherit the true lineage of Nichiren Shoshu ....'; and that 'Though [other Nichiren sects] may seem the same as ours, they lack the single, unbroken heritage of the Law received directly from Nichiren. If one's faith is not based on this line of inheritance, it is worthless to embrace any Gohonzon, for no benefit will be forthcoming ....'

Now, Soka Gakkai charges that Nikken is a heretic because he expelled Ikeda and excommunicated Soka Gakkai, and that his loose life-style disqualified Nikken from receiving Nichiren and Nikko's heritage, claiming every prerogative concerning the Gohonzon should rest with Soka Gakkai. It also claims that it is now 'directly connected' to Nichiren and Nikko because Soka Gakkai has converted millions of people to the 'True' Buddhism. Ikeda declares (1992), 'Without our organisation, the True Law would be utterly lost. There would be no way to save humanity. This is why supporting and defending Soka Gakkai is the same as defending and advancing Nichiren Buddhism ....' Here, Ikeda was referring to the incident during WW2, when the Militarist Government wanted Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai to pay respect to the State Shinto God. At that time, Nichiren Shoshu obliged but Soka Gakkai objected. Nichiren Shoshu explains that it is easy to say and to misunderstand all this now but if one put it in historical perspective it is not so unreasonable, especially when they did not want to see the DaiGohonzon and the Tai-seki Temple being destroyed during that difficult period.

Soka Gakkai has since intensified its focus on Ikeda's Guidance. To members, it is not so much that Ikeda is a Buddha incarnated from Nichiren, but that his 'Human Revolution' (and lately, the 'New Human Revolution') and Daily Guidance are the modern Gosho (Nichiren's Major Writings). In a US Soka Gakkai publication, World Tribune (16 November 92), it was stated that 'one way [of making 'sincerity' real in our lives] is to constantly renew our determination to live with sincerity by putting Ikeda's Guidance into action everyday.... It is important to study Nichiren's Writings and the Guidance of Ikeda, but unless we put all these words into action, they are meaningless.' As far as members of Soka Gakkai are concerned, they believe that Ikeda is protecting Nichiren Shoshu's doctrine, and see no necessity in debating nor deliberating the issue, despite inconsistencies in before and after quotes from Ikeda that give Soka Gakkai a completely new doctrine.

16. Seattle 'Scandal'

Soka Gakkai is determined to win the war this time. It claims that it wants to modernise Nichiren Shoshu to get it out of the 'dark ages' of 'authoritarianism' in this 'new age of democracy'. Soon after the excommunication, Soka Gakkai changed the contents of the Gongyo (Silent Prayers) Book to include the names of its past two presidents as Kechi-myaku of Nichiren and Nikko. It also announced that members' weddings were not to be held in a temple, but instead at local Soka Gakkai kaikan and officiated by a Soka Gakkai leader. It also promotes yujin-so (Funeral Ceremony by Soka Gakkai's Officials and Members) telling members that their funerals do not require a priest to chant for them anymore. Soka Gakkai hopes that these measures would cause financial hardships to local temples thereby forcing them to denounce the Head Temple and bend to Soka Gakkai instead. Its members also initiated more than 100 civil suits against 'defiant' temples for misplacing their ancestors' urns.

Members are also asked to attend regular Daimoku campaigns held at Soka Gakkai's kaikans around the world to pray for the downfall and break-up of 'Nikken Sect'; while in 1991, a California State Attorney responsible of religious body matters, Ms Linda Johnson, a Soka Gakkai (USA) leader, was found to have had participated in meetings aiming to disband Nichiren Shoshu (USA) in her 'private' capacity. To the Japanese, this scenario is not totally unfamiliar as it is quite similar to a 1970 case, where Kanzaki, a senior leader of Soka Gakkai and a district attorney in Japan then, was involved in the illegal wire-tap on the residence of the chairman of the Japan Communist Party.

As to the position of the wooden Dai-Gohonzon, Soka Gakkai's position is still not clear although its present stance is that the wooden Dai-Gohonzon is now under the 'hostage' of Tai-sekiji Temple. But as from 1993, Soka Gakkai decided to confer its own paper Gohonzon to its members. The paper Gohonzon that Soka Gakkai confers is a reproduction of another paper Gohonzon inscribed by the 26th High Priest, Nichikan. Soka Gakkai says that if one prays with faith to Soka Gakkai's Gohonzon, one would by-pass the priesthood's kechimyaku and connect to Nichiren and Nikko through Soka Gakkai.

Nichiren Shoshu terms these paper Gohonzon as counterfeits and counter-claims that this has put Soka Gakkai as heretical as other Nichiren sects that Soka Gakkai once condemned. Nichiren Shoshu claims that 'good gods would return to heaven' if Gongyo was not recited correctly, in reference to the Soka Gakkai version. Without the power of wooden Dai-Gohonzon, the paper Gohonzon would be powerless let alone Soka Gakkai's 'imitation in form without any substance' and anyone praying to it will not attain enlightenment. It also claims that Ikeda, by 'selfishly' and 'unethically' promoting his own doctrine, has in fact led his faithful and unsuspecting members to fall into the hell of incessant suffering with him together.

Nothing is more sensational than the so-called 'Seattle Scandal'. A few months after Soka Gakkai was excommunicated in 1991, a Japanese-American women named Hiroe Clow, a Soka Gakkai member for more than 40 years, came out to say that she was witness to Nikken's involvement in a prostitution scandal and arrest in the USA when Nikken visited Seattle some 30 years ago (1963). Soka Gakkai published the story and also two photographs of Nikken proving that he was flirting with geishas. Although the FBI has since announced that they could not trace any records in FBI's computer network to the incident, and Nikken was able to show that the two photos had been doctored, Soka Gakkai maintains that they are true and contests the libel action petitioned by Nikken who is claiming US$ 10 million in damages. However, the case is now complicated by the sudden death of Hiroe Clow in her home in California on 23 Mar 96, two weeks before she was to give evidence in the libel suit.

Physical assaults and harassment against priesthood and members sympathetic to them were allegedly carried out by members of Soka Gakkai in certain areas (Time Magazine, 20 November 1995). Soka Gakkai's newspapers and publications also carry stories and comics almost everyday aiming to destroy the credibility of the priesthood. The war has escalated to such an extent that those visions propagated by Soka Gakkai as humanistic Buddhists who claim to respect an individual's happiness, human rights, religious freedom and world peace are now very much doubted by the Japanese people.

17. Demolition of the Sho-hon-do

In December 1995, Nichiren Shoshu tore down the Sho-hon-do (Grand Main Hall) at Tai-seki Temple. With this demolition, Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai are determined that they will never look back again.

The Sho-hon-do project was conceived in May, 1964 when Ikeda decided to build a hall of worship to accommodate the Dai-Gohonzonand 5,000 followers. Members were asked to save for a year and donated the money in a 4-day fund-raising drive scheduled in October 1965. The original target for the fund-raising was US$ 10 million, but the actual collection was more than US$ 100 million from 8 million members.

Sho-hon-do was completed and dedicated to Nichiren Shoshu in 1972. This building was regarded as the Kaidan Nichiren had hoped to build : in Nichiren Buddhism, the Kaidan is the ultimate place where the entire world can congregate to worship Nichiren teachings. To symbolise the goal of Kosen-rufu (propagation of the Nichiren Buddhism throughout the world), the foundation was laid with pebbles and stones from all over the world. Although according to Nichiren's own words, the Kaidan should only be built upon the completion of Kosen-rufu, but Ikeda insisted that 'we build the Sho-hon-do first and then get people to come to worship in it. We get the container first and the contents later, as it were.

When the Sho-hon-do was completed, there was a dispute between Soka Gakkai and Nichiren Shoshu with regard to who was entitled to the surplus fund; Soka Gakkai was said to have sent several auditors to check the building accounts. Under the usual circumstances, and in the interest of all members, both parties should have voluntarily published an audited accounts in respect of the building fund to clarify the doubt, but it has never been done so as it was not required under the law. With the advantage of hindsight, this incident could be interpreted as the start of a serious rift between Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai.

With its huge resources, Soka Gakkai obviously has the upper hand, putting Nichiren Shoshu on the defensive so far. Although most members still stick to Soka Gakkai, the greatest test has yet to come : under the Revised Religious Corporations Bill, Soka Gakkai has to apply for registration again by September 96, and it is unlikely that Tai-sekiji Temple will issue the Certificate of Recognition to Soka Gakkai this time. If it cannot win the war with its Head Temple by then, Soka Gakkai must change its doctrines and the object of worship. Soka Gakkai therefore has to convince its members that its new doctrine is the true Nichiren doctrine and not that of Tai-seki Temple.

18. Ordinary Members

In contrast with traditional Buddhism or Shinto, Soka Gakkai stresses worldly values rather than afterlife ones, emphasising the achievement of health, prosperity, self-improvement, and happiness through faith in Nichiren. During Toda's era, the wooden Dai-Gohonzon was described as the 'Happiness-Generating Machine', and instant benefit could be derived from it if one reveres to it. It therefore has a special appeal to housewives because of chauvinism typical of male Japanese. This is especially so when they enter the climacteric period of menopause and they see the organisation as a source of community and spiritual comfort as they can find every answer in it. Some 65% of Soka Gakkai members in Japan are female. Members are told that they have a higher purpose.

Although many of them do not know much about Nichiren and his teachings, they fanatically believe that their faith is 'the truest religion with the only correct object of worship in the world'. They are also proud of their religion because they think that their religion is a 'non-superficial' one. This conviction leads them to believe that they have the 'right' and 'duty' to shaku-buku other people, and they would be upset, or would even turn to violence, if people told them that their religion or behaviour was objectionable. Otherwise, members are generally well disciplined and respectworthy, and are certainly useful and positive citizens if Soka Gakkai's issues were not involved.

Members are grateful to Ikeda for bringing the 'true' religion to them and, especially among the female members, dutifully pray for Ikeda's good health and safe return to Japan whenever Ikeda is on an overseas trip. They also believe that Ikeda Sensei (Learned Teacher) is a crusader who fights the oppressive establishment, and many are prepared to die for him.

Members usually get their news from Seikyo Shimbun in which one can find countless pictures and articles about Ikeda, who expounds on a wide range of topics from world peace to the prevention of flu, from philosophy to the arts, as if he were the only person in the world who was knowledgeable in these areas of life.

Another important channel through which members get their 'news' is from their leaders at zadankai (Monthly Discussion Meetings). For example, in the 1995 Great Hanshin (Kobe) Earthquake, members were told that there had been no mention made by major newspapers on the help extended by Soka Gakkai to the earthquake's victims.

The reason given was that the media was 'unfair and biased against Soka Gakkai', and that 'Ms so and so just got back from Kobe and she says that she saw TV cameramen telling victims at a Soka Gakkai relief centre that if they expressed gratitude to Soka Gakkai, the interview would not be telecast' and so on.

And because of numerous study, cultural and other activities, their social lives are webbed into Soka Gakkai's circle, and have not much time for outside materials. This is why whenever there is an adverse report on Soka Gakkai's 'secular' matters and not 'religious' matters, they still believe that Soka Gakkai and Ikeda are subject to constant 'persecution' and 'jealousy.' And in order to fight 'persecution' and 'jealousy' in election time, they always get the 'hint' and most will campaign and vote for Komeito. It can be said that members have a fixed mindset, refusing to accept views other than that of their leaders.

As far as international members are concerned, they can be described as an asset to Soka Gakkai. Many of them were initially drawn to the organisation with an admiration for, and an interest in Japan and Japanese. However, because of the language barrier, their understanding of Soka Gakkai in respect to the Japanese society is mainly from their own internal publications, whose accounts are necessarily incomplete, vary in comprehension and detail, and to some extent, speculative. Generally speaking, they are just as sincere and diligent as ordinary Japanese members; and their genuine religious faiths have also been translated by their leaders in Japan to the extent that Soka Gakkai's agenda, including political ones, have the support of the international communities.

19. Conclusion

As far as the doctrine is concerned, Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai both claim the Line of Transmission of the 'True Law', as if the rest of the human race have to go to either one of them for salvation. Some FAQ (Frequently-Asked-Questions) are : Does Nichiren, claim to be the only 'True' Buddha, outdoing Shakyamuni or is Nichiren Buddhism qa mirror reflecting the light shed by Shakyamuni Buddha? Is the Dai-Gohonzon genuine or not? Is reciting only 2 Chapters of the Lotus Sutra without really studying them, sufficient to understand the wisdom of Buddha (Shakyamuni or Nichiren, it's doesn't matter here)? And by rejecting the centrality of Shakyamuni, can one still be called a 'Buddhist'?

People may no longer look at the religion as a misfortune-preventing or supernatural system anymore and just believe "encouraging"stories at face value, having no criteria to evaluate its truth. They may also want to practice the religion in daily life rather than only chant for wealth or personal benefits, as this might not have been Buddha's (Shakyamuni or Nichiren, again, it doesn't matter) original ideas. Some even believe that a true prayer is an inward examination of self-conscience and an outward well-wishing to others, attaching not much importance on praying for selfish favour. They may also prefer to perform meritorious deeds through generosity, good moral conduct, etc. The exclusive devotion to a single personality (living or dead) whose authority is final would gradually give way to beliefs using 'common sense'. In short, they may want to 'investigate' and 'know' instead of being made o 'listen' and 'believe.'

Buddhists, unlike Nichirenists, generally discard sectarian bias too. Nowadays, Mahayana Buddhists are free to visit Hinayana Temples (like those in Thailand) and pay respect to different deities enshrined in the temples. To them, all sutras are Shakyamuni's teachings but represent different vehicle, and paying respect because they all belong to Shakyamuni's family.

Japanese culture in fact is a mixture of Shinto, Zen Buddhism and Confucian Thoughts, but not Nichiren Buddhism. Nichiren Buddhism was never central to Japanese civilization although it has existed for more than 700 years. This could be due to all Nichiren sects taking a narrow view on Nichiren teachings. Even in the Soka Gakkai's Tokyo Fuji Art Museum, none of their collections are related to Nichiren Buddhism, except at the Reception Hall where Ikeda's photography is displayed, and yet again has nothing to do with Nichiren Buddhism. If we take lessons from history, Japanese civilisation might be destroyed one day if everything were to follow the present narrow interpretation of Nichiren teachings, just like in China's

Cultural Revolution.

A Buddhist is also supposed to be compassionate and tolerant, but the general view on Soka Gakkai is that it lacks either of them, not to mention mutual respect. Other social and religious organisations in Japan thus always throw prejudice towards its 'conciliatory' attitude.

For example, in January 1996, Soka Gakkai International (SGI), the international arm of Soka Gakkai, unveiled its new Charter where Clause 7 reads : 'SGI shall, based on the Buddhist spirit of tolerance, respect other religions, engage in dialogue and work together with them towards the resolution of fundamental issues concerning humanity.' They see Soka Gakkai generalising the term 'Buddhism' again as meaning only Nichiren Buddhism; and its intentions as politically motivated, with the general elections coming up within a year.

In fact, Soka Gakkai's greatest vulnerability is its dark side: it is suspected of using religion as a means of gaining political power.

To most people, political issues are ideally dealt with by consensus in a pragmatic way, beyond narrow ideology and blind passion. Although many social ills can be dealt with by using wisdom gained from a religion, religious wisdom is reflected through the actions of individuals and not through religious bodies. A religious believer must therefore be free to support and engage in any social or political causes they deem worthy. Thus it is common that people do not always agree on political or social issues even if they have the same religious belief.

If religions interfered with politics, the consequences could be disastrous. Externally, whenever there is a wrongdoing, a religious body could shield itself in the sanctuary of religious freedom and lament any criticism as religious persecution and anti-religious, so as to arouse its members' emotion. This would hinder a normal democratic process. Internally, a religious organisation has always divided itself into factions, some fundamental and some moderate. When leaders of different doctrinal factions are involved in power plays, a bloodshed-prone struggle would intensify. Vast energies and resources would be wasted on arguing about these issues which leads to no end.

Furthermore, most religious leaders believe in absolute power, which make them prone to abusing their positions rather than fulfilling their responsibilities. Some religious leaders may at certain time show 'good' character and conduct, but again, there is no guarantee that they, and as a matter of fact, their successors, will be able to retain the high social and political morals in response to increasing power. It could be said that these leaders show no signs of heeding the old adage that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. As an example, Mao Zedong, a person so trusted and respected in his early days of struggle for his ideology, turned out to be a monster who nearly destroyed 5,000 years of civilization in China during his 10-year Cultural Revolution.

Since there is also no mechanism for checking and balancing the powers of religious leaders, and since cons have always outweighed pros, it could be argued that it is irresponsible, even sinister, for a religious body to make use of its members for its political cause because these people are so intensively inculcated with their religious teachings that they totally believe and trust their leaders. And no matter how 'sacred' the political mission is, religious leaders, who are supposed to be more learned than ordinary people and thus know the consequences, can only be seen as having their own ulterior motives.

Soka Gakkai argues that Buddhism and democracy can co-exist because Buddhism is supposed to be compassionate and tolerant. This is quite a departure from the universal understanding of a democratic system: democracy, if entangled with religious confrontation, with no room for compromise, will not be able to function. People in Japan also do not generally hold this contention because mixing politics with religion have caused immeasurable human tragedies through the ages, as evident from the bloodshed in Northern Ireland and Bosnia. This could also be illustrated as Ikeda's repeated avoidment to appear in the Parliament under the sanctuary of religious freedom : is he above the law or is he defending Japan's democratic system ?

Dr. Bryan Wilson, Professor Emeritus at the Oxford University, in a speech on 10 April 1996 delivered at the Soka Gakkai-affiliated Boston Research Centre, highlighted 10 appealing features of Soka Gakkai to prove that it was a 'world affirming' religious body. This makes Soka Gakkai appear nearer to the definition of a self-help group, in which a variety of social and religious institutions already exist today, having similar features but without political equivalents.

Whether the next century will be the 'Century of Big Victory', as claimed by Soka Gakkai, remains to be seen. -- T.Hirano

The reality of Japan today, zero good fortune because of slander of Nichiren.

There are countless examples in the SGI and Nichiren Shoshu of their members receiving punishment. Nichiu developed white leprosy. Nikkyo burned up in a conflagration while his entrails remained. President Ikeda's first born son died of a bleeding ulcer. In this day and age that is nearly unheard of! Mr. Kasahara's first born son died from a massive brain injury. George Williams children are sociopaths. A top SGI senior leader was killed in the early eighties when a snow plow ran over his car. Another, in Detroit, died when a heavy metal stage hook took off the top of his skull. A men's division bagpiper was killed and mutilated by the Manson family on the way back from bagpipe practice. NST members Bill Vogel and Brad Nixon are other examples."

INTERFAITH is betraying the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren.

I have other examples. If you don't get it now, you will never get it. Nichiren fought Mikkyo, Shingon, Nembutsu and Zen. Today, they are hardly the catalysts for the destruction of Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhism. It is the worms born of the Buddha, the SGI members who exclusively chant Nam Myoho renge kyo, worship God-man Ikeda rather than Shakyamuni Buddha of the Juryo Chapter.

Mitsubishi kills them and Soka Gakkai buries them:

http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2018/06/m ... akkai.html

Lastly,

The "sparkle test" doesn't pass the smell test or how to recognize a true votary of the Lotus Sutra.

According to Nichiren Daishonin the "sparkle test" doesn't pass the smell test. Someone mentioned that he met some members of another Nichiren school and their eyes didn't sparkle like Kathy and Terry Ruby's of the Soka Gakkai. Well, according to Nichiren Daishonin, one thing can be ascertained, Kathy and Terry are sometimes in the World of Rapture. Nichiren writes:

"When we look from time to time at a person's face, we find him sometimes joyful, sometimes enraged, and sometimes calm. At times greed appears in the person's face, at times foolishness, and at times perversity. Rage is the world of Hell, greed is that of Hunger, foolishness is that of Animality, perversity is that of Anger, joy is that of Rapture, and calmness is that of Humanity. These worlds, the six paths, are present in the physical appearance of the person's face. The remaining four noble worlds are hidden and dormant and do not appear in the face, but if we search carefully, we can tell that they are there." -- The True Object of Worship

Question How then can we tell that the Four Noble Worlds are present?

Answer: Through the noble human behaviors of honesty, kindness, compassion, mercy, justice, forbearance, magnanimity, and protecting the teachings we can tell that the Noble Worlds are manifest.
SGI leaders, on the other hand, are great liars who destroy the noble teachings of the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren Daishonin and function tirelessly to bring their fellow SGI members into the Lower Worlds.

Mark
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Mark,

The point I am trying to illustrate is not that you are wrong for Shakubuku slander of the dharma in the moment but rather the reiteration of shakubuku of deeds past. Now I do not doubt the integrity of your desire to uphold the teachings of Nichiren in their most authentic form. I used that as a metric to gauge my own ignorance for years and am indebted accordingly.

Of course people of lower capacity and evil persons will react in an inflamed manner when ignorant but since they are already facing the lotus through desire challenging it beyond capacity doesn't hasten their development. I fear the lack of sensitivity to this dynamic undermines the potency of your Shakubuku elsewhere.

There is plenty of slander against the dharma outside the folds of dharma practitioners be they Nichiren or other wise that could benefit from wisely appropriated Shakubuku. It needs to be accompanied with tangible compassion which is most difficult to develop and display in sharp overwhelmingly complex comparisons of doctrine. This makes the internet very counter intuitive in regards to certain propagation.

This is where faith in the transcendental powers of the buddha and the daimoku regardless of phonetic variations is critical because the only way people can fail to achieve liberation is if they fail to realize their own buddha nature/potential. Not only does their doubt come into play but the perceived doubt of others. You are a poses a sharp mind. Imagine how that effects those who practice Nichiren buddhism who don't have the same capacity. It could instill insurmountable doubt.

Each of Nichiren's writings encouraged various follows according to their capacity and his rebukes where to those who had reached a level of provisional understanding. He did not teach/treat them equally. Thus the one mind doctrine. Hopefully this adds perspective without invalidating the intent of your actions or authenticity of your desire.

Regards

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Sort of like telling some rich and famous actor that he has good karma and then some person pulls up in a broken wheelchair reaking of poverty and you tell this person its all their own fault and they got what they deserve due to being some horrible person in the past...
ronnymarsh

Post by ronnymarsh »

Here in Brazil we have a certain history related to Nichiren's Buddhism. The country is the place in the world where there are more Japanese residents or descendants (with the exception of Japan itself, of course), and among the first Japanese people who arrived in the country in 1908 was a Honmon Butsuryu Shu bonzo, who was the first to establish Buddhism in the country.
Then, in 1960, Daisaku Ikeda established the “Nichiren Shoshu Religious Society of Brazil - NSB” which was the way SGI was called in the country until the schism. In addition to these two we have the presence of secular organizations RKK and Reiyukai, the traditional Nichiren Shoshu order and Nichiren Shu (which is the smallest organization in the country), so that the main type of Buddhism practiced in the country is Nichiren Buddhism, and I think that here we have a lot of experiences about this type of Buddhism and the behavior of its faithful.

Here, although there are doctrinal clashes between the various doctrines of each branch of this Buddhism, the only one that we can observe “dysfunctional” behaviors is Soka Gakkai (BSGI), but the target is always its parent organization, Nichiren Shoshu, its faithful , bonzos and temples.

Some years ago, when the High Prelate of Taisekiji was Nikken Shonin, Brazil inaugurated its first largest temple, Shoboji, and for this inauguration the High Prelate himself came to the country and conducted the ceremonies. Some friends of mine who at the time were members of BSGI report that the leaders were calling on their faithful to perform hours and hours of daimoku in order to make Nikken Shonin's plane crash to kill him and thus "end the evil".

This is a type of worrying thought and does not match the attitude that a Buddhist should have. Even though it is not an effective action performed with the body, it represents a horrible conception to keep in mind, and this type of thing should not be acceptable.

(Interestingly, many of these leaders - including family members of a close friend - later had complications with cancer and died, and their children abandoned Buddhism and became Protestants)

Soka Gakkai is an organization that is paradoxical, on the one hand it has members who are dedicated to the study of Buddhism, it is not by chance that practically all of its fundamental works (Lotus Sutra, Goshos and Ongi Kunden) are translated into the main languages and are published in order to have access. On the other hand, there are groups within the organization that are more connected to the ikedist cult, who are more concerned with the "New Human Revolution" and the veneration of their "sensei". And that is precisely the aspect of the organization that smears Nichiren's Buddhism image.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Minobu wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:19 pm Sort of like telling some rich and famous actor that he has good karma and then some person pulls up in a broken wheelchair reaking of poverty and you tell this person its all their own fault and they got what they deserve due to being some horrible person in the past...
In a way but it is far more subtle isn't an active bias but a condition of the degenerate age. It is discussed in the lotus sutra and is a facet of the purpose thereof. That is what makes this such a difficult conversation. Highly intelligent and accomplished people have done nothing wrong, in fact their accomplishments and keen attribute very well could be meritorious rewards. Their abundance is not another person's lack, but their abundance may make the lack of others so foreign that they are abstracted from the suffering that person feels because of that lack.

This is what makes Nichiren's Buddhism so amazing. Nichiren and the Daimoku is to Buddhsim as Einstien and his theory of relativity is to physics and this is not doing justice in regards to Nichiren. He knew not only the totality of Shakyamuni's enlightenment from beginingless time to now but the totality of capacity, conditions, causes and variety of minds. It was the catalyst for the Daimoku. It seems apparent that he asked himself how do I fulfill Shakyamuni's wish to open the doors of Buddhahood for all via the Lotus Sutra. It seems apparent he created a perfect agent embodying the lotus in a wish granting jewel made of simple words a person of any capacity could carry within their mind. It seems apparent this makes it perfect for the degenerate age. It puts the mind directly in front of the mind of buddha bypassing the sensual decadence of our environment present in this age as does the gohonzon. I imagine this is the method that purifies sense consciousness in this age.
Jingang

Post by Jingang »

Never, in my 40+ years of practicing the Nichiren faith have I seen or heard, not even once, such evil behavior as exhibited SGI members who chant Nam Myoho renge kyo exclusively. You can not cite one person who chant Namu Myoho renge kyo who exhibits such aberrant or abhorent behaviors.

The methods are practically identical. Vowels at the ends of words are often silent in Japanese, particularly when spoken by men.

Which makes me question, how someone like Walter Lee Williams, who practiced daimoku for many years, was capable of sexually abusing children.

I am fascinated by Nichiren Buddhism, and want to believe in it, but - as an outsider - when I see stories from SGI, it makes me wonder whether it can be as transformative as it claims to be.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Personally, I think its unfair to criticize an entire group because of the actual or alleged behavior, or more often merely perceived wrongs, of a few affiliated people, especially with regard to large groups with millions of members.

This was a problematic thread from the start but we permitted it to proceed and it seems to have run its course.

Locking topic.

If someone thinks this thread should be reopened, please contact a mod by private message.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”