Letter to Sensei

JazzIsTvRicky

Letter to Sensei

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

This was written during the time I fully trusted Daisaku and decided to write him after years of being told to do so by various persons. I never expected a response for I knew he would never receive it based on the leaders involved in the sending and receiving.

Mr. Daisaku Ikeda
President Soka Gakkai International
Monday September 13, 2004

Dear Sensei,
I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I have been asked to write you on several occasions and have hesitated because the time was not right. I now
realize this is the time.
The other day my wife Sandra came home from a long day at work, I was on the phone discussing the Forbes article and our rebuttals with a fellow member, she sat down
across from me and glared at me with a crazed look. Sandy said, “Is that all you do is talk about Buddhism and went into a rage. I must take responsibility for how she feels and I will with the “Sun of Jiyu” pray for her absolute happiness.

Sensei it is with a clear heart and deep seriousness that I write this letter. I know no other way.

My name is Richard Herman Brown, I am 55 years old this year October 29, and I have been practicing Nichiren Buddhism since March 28 1982. Thank you for allowing
me to meet this most wonderful life philosophy once again. Since we are not strangers, I will not be reserved in my communication, knowing that you will share with me what I need to hear.
I was born in Grand Rapids Michigan on October 29, 1949 to a family that grew to seven children 4 sisters and two brothers. My Dad is Polish and Black and my Mother
is Indian, Black, and White. We had a wonderful childhood, even though we were poor and had tremendous struggles. I could not ask for more. My family is my greatest treasure.
My parents never pushed us to a particular religion but instilled a sense of exploration in our search for our essence. My father, Gerald Talton Brown was born on
May 3, 1916, he was my Golden Rod and my mother my best friend.
I grew up in a racially diverse environment with strong emphasis on community.
My older brother Gerald Ernest Brown was everything you could ask for in brother ten years older. He loved me with all his heart as I do him. My sisters were all so very
different in their personalities and their choices of lifestyles. Carol the sister I was closest to was the catalyst for my adventuress spirit. I owe so much to her.
In 1988, my family on my mother’s side, on her mother’s side, published a book detailing the history of our ancestors. I consider, still in progress of a marvelous work. I will take it to the next level. You can visit a website dedicated to this historic chronicle on the Internet at www.oldsettlersreunion.com

SENSEI THE FOLLOWING IS MY JOURNEY OF FAITH!

When I was thirteen my father came to me and said, “Son let’s walk over to your Granny’s house and so we did. When we got there my mother Betty Jane, (Bellis) Brown
and her mother Elizabeth (Byrd) Bellis were sitting drinking beer with a neighbor of ours Gilbert Lehnen who lived across the street from our home. My father turned around grabbed my hand and we left without a word. Shortly thereafter, my mother left our family and moved across the street with Mr. Lehnen and his elderly mother. The circumstances, as to why she left us created a painful history of which I will never forget.

Sensei my father was a very violent man when he drank. He would beat my mother and cuss at her with a rage so violent; it would scare a Lion King. My mother on
the other hand took all that she could take. Such a sad time in our lives. Although she was gone, she did not abandon us, she just did not live here anymore. As I write this, tears are flowing from my being joy is in the pen. Now, I know why I should continue with this letter.

Three years later after dealing with the sadness of our family torn apart, but realizing that neither my mother nor my dad ever said anything bad about each other, we
continued dealing with the situation at hand.

On December 24, 1965, Christmas Eve, a beautiful winter day. The snowdrops were falling in the still sky, the smell of pine from the Christmas Trees evoked calmness,
and here I was, sitting at home by myself with a broken ankle, watching TV. My friends came by, wished me Merry Christmas and joked that they came to take me dancing. I
could not go with my broken ankle. We laughed and off they went.

It was a Friday, my dad was out with his friends, when he came home I noticed he was drunk as a skunk, Then something amazing occurred. He went into the bathroom
long enough to take a piss and when he emerged I could not believe my eyes. It was as though he had shaved, took a bath, put new clothes on and the most amazing thing was, that he had a glow that was undeniable. It was as if he had attained Buddhahood. His life condition had transformed in an instant. He sat and watched TV with me and for that day, that is all I remember.
The following Monday my brother took me to the doctor to remove my cast and afterwards dropped me off at my best friends Melvin Atkins house. My brother later told
me that when he went back to tell my dad the good news my dad panicked and asked in a hurried voice, “Where’s Richard? Jerry as we called our older brother Gerald, replied, “Daddy you know how that boy is he’s already in the streets playing with his friends. My dad sighed with relief.

On the night of December 29, 1965, my father and my sisters and I were playing monopoly, laughing, joking and having a good time. We were celebrating the joy of the
holiday season. When everyone went to bed, my dad and I were watching TV and I realized it was late. My best friend was picking me up in the morning to go to my first
basketball practice since I broke my ankle. I turned to my dad and said, “Daddy I have to go to bed now it’s getting late. When I looked at the clock, it was 2:29 am. My dad
looked at me with a smile, he was sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace and asked, “Son do you want your mother back? I said,” yeah dad but not if it means you have to go!
He smiled at me and died right in my face.

I did not know he had died until the next morning. Melvin and I found him dead on the couch. The coroner said the approximate time of death was 2:30 am December 29,
1965, one minute after he asked me that question.
My whole world came crashing down. My life was filled with agony. I blamed Mr. Lehnen and because he was white, I blamed white people, because it was about my
mother, I blamed women and I did not know this at the time, but I also blamed my dad for being so weak, as to die over a Bitch. Which is how I viewed every woman from that time on?

That Year, 1965, the Watts Riots occurred and there was a movement developing which we called,” The Black Power Movement.” It was at that time, an answer to Racism
at its deepest level. We were fed up with the way we were treated overall in this country and decided that we would launch an all out attack even if it caused us our lives. The Black Power Movement was very much intellectually engineered, for study was the first
requirement. Knowledge of our history and the dynamics of racism and colonization were our battle cries. We felt that Dr. King’s philosophy of non-violence was not enough.
During our movement for freedom, I gave up high school and was being educated by the movement and its culture. I was 18 at the time. One winter morning it was cold
and dark as I walked into our headquarters building, ready to fight the revolution, of which we were conducting by dialogue. Although we held the threat of violence over the head of the system like an ax in the hands of an executioner. When I settled in, my brother Jerry, Bernard Ware, and others who had been in negotiations with various media outlets, had decided that they wanted me to enter the broadcast field as a trainee at a local
NBC affiliate.

I started my new career at WOOD TV Channel 8 by working in the film processing department within one month I had graduated to the News Department as a
Photo Journalist. Although I had not graduated from my high school, I was assigned to cover my High School Graduation because; it would be the last graduation class in the schools history. South High School was closed because of the threat it posed as a potential recruiting ground for our rapid growing Black Power Movement. At that time, I was working in a position that required a college degree and I did not even have a high school diploma. I was making as much money as my teachers.

During my employment at WOOD TV, I pioneered a revolution in the coverage of news as it pertained to the Black Community. I was the first Black ever to work as a
News Reporter in all of Western Michigan. I learned the importance of objective news reporting at a time when integrity as a journalist was foremost.
During my stint as a Broadcaster I was married and had two children Tara and Quar’an, However my marriage broke up. I quit my job and started Pimping women. I
then got into drugs, alcohol, and sex. My condition worsened as I became more and more violent both physically and mentally. I had no control.
After dealing in women and drugs for a time, I had the opportunity to go to film school in Chicago. My sister Carol had moved there and helped me establish a foothold.
Chicago was where I became a man. It was a wonderful experience, a place where I found a little of the humanity that I had somehow lost. I was named Young Man of the
Year and two television interviews were given to me. I became the Communications Coordinator of Borg-Warner Corporation. All this with a GED high school diploma. It
was in Chicago that I first encountered the Gohonzon. Denise Nichols a friend I grew up with in Michigan told me about Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and showed me a Gohonzon. At the time, I was only into working and partying.
On my birthday in 1977, I moved to Los Angeles to pursue my career in TV and Film. All alone and in a place that was years behind Chicago in many ways. Los Angeles
was a culture shock. Again, I became a slave to the suffering of my negative karma. I fell back to the lifestyle of misusing women drugs and sex.

One day I pulled into the parking garage of my apartment building and I observed a person who is known to have a case of severe depression, to my amazement he came
joyfully bouncing down the steps with the energy of a kid on his way to a candy store. I asked myself, “Wow I wonder what’s changed in his life?” Shortly thereafter, I began to search for the real me. I knew there was a conflict of personalities within my own life. I
was determined to bring about a change.

I went searching for a life philosophy that would fill this need. I went to Science of Mind, Islam, and finally one evening I decided to go to a club that was predominately
black. I had been caught up in the Asian Culture and at that time I was married to a girl from Taiwan, we had recently broken up and I felt a need to be around Black folks. Later that night when I came home I reached in my closet and picked a Gideon’s Bible. I remembered how my dad would go to the basement of our home and study various literatures. and when I was punished for doing something wrong he would read to me from the Bible,” if you spare the rod you spoil the child” it would be underlined in red.
Therefore, I took this Bible and with a red pen, I began to read, because I had been drinking and had taken drugs, I could hardly read but I remember trying to focus,
eventually I fell to sleep. I remember waking up the next morning and in my lap was the Gideon’s Bible, It was opened to the Acts Chapter 13 I had underlined verse 15,”Men and brethren if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say on.” At that time, I
decided that I would become a Preacher. In my apartment complex, we served coffee and donuts on Sunday mornings so I decided to share my awakening with my neighbors. I entered the recreation room filled with a sense of mission and determination and I shared
my awakening with the people who were there. During the conversation a woman who I was aware used to be a prostitute, stated, “Richard I hear what you’re saying but what you’re seeking is not outside of your life.” Then she invited me to the man I had seen bouncing down the stairs apartment and at that time, revealed the Gohonzon to me. We chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo together and I immediately took faith. Three weeks later on Sunday March 28, 1982, I received my Gohonzon.
Lynne Holdsworth is the person who sponsored me and assisted me in the beginning of my practice of Nichiren Buddhism. One day she brought me a copy of the Gosho “Two kinds of Faith” which was what NSA was studying that month. It was the lecture published in the Seikyo Times. She explained the importance of study, encouraged me to study the Gosho, and asked that I attend a lecture at the North Hollywood Community Center. I was a member of Wilshire Headquarters at that time. I immersed myself in the study of that Gosho and went eagerly to the lecture.
Sensei, having studied the Gosho “Two Kinds of Faith” with all my being, I was amazed at how the person who was giving the Lecture misinterpreted the text. This realization led me to buy every book available in the bookstore and to commence a personal study campaign of which I continue today.
My first shakubuku was Sandra Faye Greene she is now my wife and my best friend. Together we have raised several Districts and have a daughter together. Our daughter Meaghan is alive because of practice and study within the organization of Kosen-rufu. Our experiences in faith have been Mystic indeed.
Sensei In regards to the recent article in Forbes Magazine I would like to quote from the SGI-USA Statement Regarding SGI-Related Article in 9/6/2004 Forbes Magazine, Mr. Ikeda’s philosophy would be better judged from the following remarks that are more recent: “The purpose of Buddhism is not to produce dupes who blindly follow their leader. It is to produce people of wisdom who can judge right or wrong on their own in the clear mirror of Buddhism.”

I hear what you say, but what do the leaders of SGI-USA have to say? They hide behind your words, like cowards and make no declaration of their own.
During the Civil Disturbance in 1992, the leaders of SGI-USA were ready to close down everything and run like cowards. While the Christian Churches were opening their doors to the people and offering food, shelter, and comfort. How Shameful!
Many of these leaders are the same leaders who hid the information from the members when the priesthood issue broke. Their personalities are all the same. Not one of them dare speak out. Politics and
beauraracy are their specialty. The poor and the downtrodden are treated as though they do not exist. Where are the community centers in the Black areas? I say they are nowhere to be found!
In the city of Santa Monica the Santa Monica Police for no apparent reason other than the fact she is black, stopped my wife. The police asked her,” do you live in Santa Monica? My wife answered no, then they asked here,” what are you doing in Santa Monica?
The people are in Los Angeles, the riots were in Los Angeles, and the Leaders of
SGI-USA are hiding out in Santa Monica.
How do you think the little black boys and girls felt when they saw the Los Angeles Friendship Center being built? They saw a basketball court going up. Can you imagine the joy in their lives? We had a Grand Opening and invited the neighbors. We were going to become an integral part of the community.
Go to the Friendship Center any day of the week and you will see a basketball court with no rims to shoot the ball towards. The tears are running down the court with nowhere to go. Poor little black boy, you are not welcome here. Poor little black girl you are not welcome here.
And the leaders hide out at the beach.
The Ikeda Auditorium is barren and cold, even The Gohonzon looks sad. The SGI building across the street is plain and frigid.
Where is the Gakkai Spirit?
I proclaim The Gakkai Spirit is where the people who are suffering are. The Gakkai spirit is in the hearts of the pioneers, who are treated with scorn and impertinence. The tears they shed are all for the Gohonzon.
We the common people will gather their tears and create a mighty ocean of propagation towards the year 2010. This I promise you.
I could go on and on however it is not necessary. I am determined to follow your lead by leading myself. Writing you is freedom itself. I am so grateful.
The Daishonin says:” The undertaking of Kosen-rufu is nothing but the “battle of the voice.” No matter how much we may be criticized, and even if we encounter the three strong enemies, we should never become cowardly and silent. Nichiren Daishonin refuted his persecutors’ base schemes by writing, “They disseminating fabricated stories of me here and there have been striving to silence me.” (Gosho Zenshu, p.348)

I have penned the following poem for you:

“We the people who are a mixture of all the people on earth are those born from
American Slavery. We are a strong, loving, and deeply religious people. We will not
allow anyone to deny us the freedom and liberty rightfully ours. We are marching
forward, emerging from the earth, of golden hue, always with you. Forever Sensei.”
I am on my way to meet with SGI-USA General Director Danny Nagashima to
ask for a series of dialogues with him and his directors concerning issues as they relate to
Black Men in America.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to read this letter. I am most appreciative of the opportunity to learn from you, the greatness of President Josei Toda.

Sincerely,
Richard Herman Brown
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
illarraza

Re: Letter to Sensei

Post by illarraza »

Hello Richard. Thanks for sharing your letter. Have you returned to Soka Gakkai from Nichiren Shoshu or returned as an Independent who only chants Nam Myoho renge kyo sans Gongyo?

Mark
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Hey Mark actually I am not with any Sect or Organization. I never did follow through and go visit the temple and SGI is not Buddhism at all. Just relying on faith which has been very good for me and my family.

I appreciate your dedication to what you believe Mark that is all that counts.

I still do not adhere to the necessity of Gongyo or rather a made up tradition to generate money and control over others.

Sincerely reciting the Lotus Sutra is a beautiful offering but not necessary in the attainment of Buddhahood. Only the Myoho Renge Kyo with Faith.

My actual proof is the gauge I use when it comes to Buddhism so far I’ve been able to see it’s benefit in my life.

Sincerely, Richard
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:04 am I still do not adhere to the necessity of Gongyo or rather a made up tradition to generate money and control over others.
Hey there Richard,

In what way are money and control involved in prescribing Gongyo? I've been a Shoshu guy for only two years now, so I do lack a lot of historical context that others here seem to have. Maybe it is a contrived tradition as you claim, but it's definitely not a money-maker, and the temple never really exerts any control over how members live their lives or spend their money. When I came to Buddhism via Nichiren Shoshu, I was actually surprised at the lack of 'rules' on how to live and behave; maybe that's because I grew up in a Christian environment in the South. Gokuyo offerings are of course appreciated, but never solicited aggressively.

There are probably things that I don't know about, and I welcome anyone's input. But I have to defend the temple here; at least from my experience, it hardly seems to be in the business of making money and it certainly doesn't try to wield control.

Bobby
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Nichiren specifically accepts recitation of the Lotus Sutra as an appropriate practice, and likewise accepts daimoku as a single practice as well. There is historical evidence for a variety of contemplative methods focussed on the Lotus Sutra, perhaps of Tendai origin that were accepted, some of which Nichiren touches on occasionally.

Speaking as SGI I would never propose Nichiren Shoshu as somehow made up or designed as some kind of money-making enterprise. Though I would probably disagree with some things that the Shoshu school might say I also think their practice methods from their perspective are as correct and appropriate as they can make them. They trace their lineage back to Nikko and Nichiren and are in legal possession of many original artifacts, traditionally conveyed, which historically demonstrates legitimacy.

Back in the day in NSA and now in SGI I am likewise not told to do anything, leaders encourage me to come to various meetings which I do from time to time. I donate to SGI as one way of returning the favor for having a place to go and practice with others- if for nothing else I'm deeply grateful for the investment SGI has made in putting the gosho online.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:04 am Hey Mark actually I am not with any Sect or Organization. I never did follow through and go visit the temple and SGI is not Buddhism at all. Just relying on faith which has been very good for me and my family.

I still do not adhere to the necessity of Gongyo or rather a made up tradition to generate money and control over others.

Sincerely reciting the Lotus Sutra is a beautiful offering but not necessary in the attainment of Buddhahood. Only the Myoho Renge Kyo with Faith.

My actual proof is the gauge I use when it comes to Buddhism so far I’ve been able to see it’s benefit in my life.

Sincerely, Richard

SGI is Buddhism....if you think otherwise you are grossly mistaken...yeah yeah they got warts....but that's just The Lotus Sutra's growing pains which is inevitable due to collective Karma...But the gods and enlightened ones do protect and make way for the Dharma to appear through SGI...

Nichiren Shonin tells us if we wish to recite the Sutra etc ...go for it...i personally feel Gongyo or similar thereof is an important part of my practice...

to be honest , at this time i do not do gongyo or even recite the three passages ....but thats my work through item...lol.. I meditate and chant lots of Odaimoku with all that is Ceremony in The Air ....amazing results....but even more when i finnally once again make the Kaiden thing... https://www.britannica.com/topic/kaidan

Only the Myoho Renge Kyo with Faith
I feel that there is more to attaining full blown enlightenment than just chanting the ODaimoku ...But in Mappo it is a necessity set up for us on Earth at this time due to what the enlightened ones and gods have set in motion and protect...

even without Faith in the ODaimoku it leads one eventually to Buddhahood...Faith is something we see through time in trying It out...

We do not attain Buddhahood on our own...you need Samsara, and Buddha Sakyamuni by It's very definition...without the teaching there is nothing..

i would be very careful in knocking what Lord Buddha Sakyamuni has set in motion for our liberation.

Ignorance is deadly..

d
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

I just realized, your signature, OP, is English adapted to Arabic script.

فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
fwtāry wf ḏy ġwhwnzwn wf nām mywhw rynǧ kyw
votary of the gohonzon of namu myōhō renge kyō

My partner speaks Arabic. I'll have him prepare a translation if you want one.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

justsomeguy wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:12 pmHello Bobby. My answer to your inquiry is here my friend..
viewtopic.php?t=23047
JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:04 am I still do not adhere to the necessity of Gongyo or rather a made up tradition to generate money and control over others.
Hey there Richard,

In what way are money and control involved in prescribing Gongyo? I've been a Shoshu guy for only two years now, so I do lack a lot of historical context that others here seem to have. Maybe it is a contrived tradition as you claim, but it's definitely not a money-maker, and the temple never really exerts any control over how members live their lives or spend their money. When I came to Buddhism via Nichiren Shoshu, I was actually surprised at the lack of 'rules' on how to live and behave; maybe that's because I grew up in a Christian environment in the South. Gokuyo offerings are of course appreciated, but never solicited aggressively.

There are probably things that I don't know about, and I welcome anyone's input. But I have to defend the temple here; at least from my experience, it hardly seems to be in the business of making money and it certainly doesn't try to wield control.

Bobby
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

Minobu wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm I agree 'igornance can be deadly and also can be life giving. A seeking mind turns ignorance into knowledge. Like that found here...
viewtopic.php?t=23047
JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:04 am Hey Mark actually I am not with any Sect or Organization. I never did follow through and go visit the temple and SGI is not Buddhism at all. Just relying on faith which has been very good for me and my family.

Sincerely, Richard

SGI is Buddhism....if you think otherwise you are grossly mistaken...yeah yeah they got warts....but that's just The Lotus Sutra's growing pains which is inevitable due to collective Karma...But the gods and enlightened ones do protect and make way for the Dharma to appear through SGI...

Nichiren Shonin tells us if we wish to recite the Sutra etc ...go for it...i personally feel Gongyo or similar thereof is an important part of my practice...

to be honest , at this time i do not do gongyo or even recite the three passages ....but thats my work through item...lol.. I meditate and chant lots of Odaimoku with all that is Ceremony in The Air ....amazing results....but even more when i finnally once again make the Kaiden thing... https://www.britannica.com/topic/kaidan

Only the Myoho Renge Kyo with Faith
I feel that there is more to attaining full blown enlightenment than just chanting the ODaimoku ...But in Mappo it is a necessity set up for us on Earth at this time due to what the enlightened ones and gods have set in motion and protect...

even without Faith in the ODaimoku it leads one eventually to Buddhahood...Faith is something we see through time in trying It out...

We do not attain Buddhahood on our own...you need Samsara, and Buddha Sakyamuni by It's very definition...without the teaching there is nothing..

i would be very careful in knocking what Lord Buddha Sakyamuni has set in motion for our liberation.

Ignorance is deadly..

d
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

your reply is garbled ..fix it please so we know what you are trying to say..
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

I said what I said to a sincere person who is not seeking anti value. In fact he will benefit from his question by actually learning different viewpoints so that he is capable of discerning the truth for himself.

Thank you
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

JazzIsTvRicky wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:00 am I said what I said to a sincere person who is not seeking anti value. In fact he will benefit from his question by actually learning different viewpoints so that he is capable of discerning the truth for himself.

Thank you
can you see my quote and then clear writing,.,

your post is not done where one can easily see the quotes and the members remarks ...

i was not talking at all about the content or it's value..

just your format...

cheers, no harm meant
d

[Mod note: Locked 2023 in order to prevent further necroing.]

Return to “Nichiren”