Where to purchase Butsugu accessories.

BritNYC

Where to purchase Butsugu accessories.

Post by BritNYC »

A practitioner of Nichiren Shoshu. Where else online other than Nakayama Butsudan and Morning Sun can you buy a good selection of altar accessories? Ive seen things on eBay but wouldn't want to chance that. I'm not looking for anything in particular but would like to know if there are any more store that have an online presence.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Where to purchase Butsugu accessories.

Post by Queequeg »

Based on your name I'm guessing you are in NYC? If you don't mind, you could see the bookstore at the SGI Culture Center on 15th St. in Manhattan... I think it all comes from the same factories.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta
BritNYC

Post by BritNYC »

Yes, thanks for that but i don't want to purchase from SGI and they have a limited offering of Butsugu anyway, besides i'd prefer to see items without logos.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

A lot of the NS stuff that the soka gakkai used to sell back in the day was either cheap plastic or gaudy brass and was branded in its own way. I must admit I never really cared much for it. I've always used hand made butsugu where possible/practical.

Recently, after my water cup developed a crack I had the bright idea to visit a local potter. I came away with a hand made replica of my old one for around EUR 20. I suspect any decent potter could do an entire set for a reasonable price.

And I've always made my own butsudans - nothing fancy, but sufficient. You should probably be able find a competent carpenter locally if you don't have the space/ability/time to make one yourself.
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

ive had mixed luck with inexpensive butsudans from ebay, biggest problem was hooks not on center which is a bit maddening when chanting lol. our sgi bookstore does have some decent butsudans without logos, but other altar accessories are fully logo'ed. sgi bookstore a good place for incense and candles tho.

i prefer diy accessories too, made one of stained glass many yrs ago, finally almost full of ash.
rory

Post by rory »

Do you mean something commercial like Rakuten Global Market? As they have buddhist altar accessories:
https://global.rakuten.com/en/ or are you looking to support a small Nichiren Shoshu business? In that case I'd ask a priest, also ask the priest if a parishioner's family turned in altars, altar sets..when a relative dies and there is no one to maintain the altar many bring it to the temple. It's how I got my butsudan and altar accessories years ago from a Jodo temple.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Return to “Nichiren”