Nichiren Daishonin's meditation request

Minobu

Nichiren Daishonin's meditation request

Post by Minobu »

in another thread Q quoted Nichiren Daishonin .
Here is a snippet of that:
there is no need for believers to attempt at once to practice the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, though if there are persons who wish to do so, they should learn how to practice this type of meditation and carry it out.
Has this been explained here at DW.
Is this practice lost for this is the first time i ever read such a thing.

odd how Shoshu and gakki frowned on meditation...Gakki making it like it was useless ...have they changed their stance....do they teach this meditation like they do Gongyo.

Can anyone direct me to this practice .

d
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Nichiren Daishonin's meditation request

Post by narhwal90 »

The old NSA attitude was the other techniques were not effective, gongyo & daimoku being the effective practice- that following along with the attitude that Nichiren Shosho was the true way to practice etc. These days the question of other practices mostly doesn't arise in the meetings I go to, though old timers will occasionally drop a comment. The SGI remains mostly insular as from a day to day perspective, there are few opportunities to meet with people in other practices in the usual meeting rotation. As far as I can tell members are left to their own initiative but I have come across no proscriptions and would laugh in the face of anyone proposing something like that. I've shared the Gohonzon-shu material with a few other SGI people which was received with interest, and talked about the kinds of issues raised here on DW which mostly produces blank looks. SGI does not teach or discuss alternative or additional techniques in their study material.

Personally I gravitate towards Theravadan & Soto practices though I have scarcely scratched the surface on those.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Minobu wrote:in another thread Q quoted Nichiren Daishonin .
Here is a snippet of that:
there is no need for believers to attempt at once to practice the meditation on the three thousand realms in a single moment of life, though if there are persons who wish to do so, they should learn how to practice this type of meditation and carry it out.
For the record, this is from On Reciting the Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra which can be found in its entirety, here: http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2/Content/186

Nichiren Shu also has a translation of this gosho which as far as I know is not available online.

This is one of the 10 gosho identified by Nikko Shonin to be essential, ie. 10 Major Gosho.

This gosho was written before the Tatsunokuchi Persecution, before the Sado Exile. There is an argument that gosho written before Tatsunokuchi/Sado should be viewed in a manner similar to the Shakumon (Trace Gate) teachings of the Lotus Sutra, and those after Tatsunokuchi to be viewed as the Hommon (Original Gate) teachings of the Lotus Sutra.

I don't have the time to go into this distinction. But note, Nikko identified this as one of Nichiren's most important writings laying out Nichiren's teachings.
odd how Shoshu and gakki frowned on meditation...Gakki making it like it was useless ...have they changed their stance....do they teach this meditation like they do Gongyo.
No. As far as I know, they still frown on this.

However, if you recite the Hoben chapter and repeat the 10 factors three times, you are doing a form of the three fold contemplation; ichinen sanzen is an expanded form of the three-fold contemplation. That said, the ichinen sanzen meditation is not necessarily anything like meditation as you might imagine it... at preliminary levels it might be so, but the full blown practice is... "inconceivable". If you "fuse" with the gohonzon, you are already doing it, in Nichiren's view...
Can anyone direct me to this practice .
You might consider reading, "Kanjin no Honzon sho".

Also, Zhiyi's manual on Ichinen Sanzen meditation has been translated and will be published on October 31, 2017, by U. Hawaii press. MohoZhikuan/Makashikan/Great Cessation and Insight.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Queequeg wrote:Also, Zhiyi's manual on Ichinen Sanzen meditation has been translated and will be published on October 31, 2017, by U. Hawaii press. MohoZhikuan/Makashikan/Great Cessation and Insight.
Wow, after 1400 years, we finally get the english translation :smile:

Anyway, this is great news. I shall be placing my order as soon as it is available.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

And here is a link to the publisher's site http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-9843-9780824873776.aspx
markatex

Post by markatex »

I don't think there's some "lost" teaching of Nichiren's that time has somehow forgotten about.

Ugh. I feel uncomfortable posting about Nichiren Shu here.

At any rate, chanting the daimoku is what Nichiren intended as the central practice. Silent meditation is sometimes utilized as a way of calming the mind, but it's very much a secondary practice.

Glad to see there's a date for publication of Maka Shikan.

Return to “Nichiren”