We need to celebrate our differences

Minobu

We need to celebrate our differences

Post by Minobu »

We are celebrating our 150th in Canada today!
the indigenous people brought in a TeePee and wanted to put it up right on parliament hill where the biggest celebrations were going to down.
Their claim is they are not going to celebrate 150 years of Canada but one of occupation and genocide by Canada and a celebration of surviving it.

The RCMP would not let them bring the tee pee in....Trudeau ,our prime minister , said it was ok and after they put it up....asked them to bring it closer to centre stage...it's a huge protest against our day...right next to the main stage!
The prime minister and his wife took of their shoes went into the Tee Pee and listened to them ...and stayed for 45 minutes.

Ok the point is this...canada is a huge diversified country with this great experiment going on where everyone celebrates their differences..

the past decade or so, that is hammered home at each and every Canada Day celebration... We are celebrating our differences today...thats Canada Day...sort of our 4th of july...
we don't sing about the rockets red glare bombs bursting in air...we sing about celebrating our diversity as peoples and we are not perfect but are trying to get it right.

for real...most Canadians now define themselves as such. A diverse people trying to get along...
Our government under both a conservative and a Liberal Party exclaims this as Truth, our identity .

you are all smart people here...take the message i am giving you...and think about it the next time you bash another who is practicing this dharma in their way...

The last words Obama spoke on his very last foreign visit was in Canada .."The world needs more Canada"
His words.

it means we really do get excited and jump up and down about all the different religions and peoples we call Canadian.

wer are 36 million people...one million muslims...we have taken in 45,000 Syrian refuges so far ...we welcome them...embrace them...Constantly on the news we see little towns celebrating their Syrian refugees becoming Canadian and growing. As the Syrians become successful it makes the news with glee.

Nichiren's offspring needs more Canada..

now that is not to say we cannot debate the nuance of this philosophy and Dharma...or how to practice...but we need to celebrate our differences.

it's the only way ...and we all should be doing it and use that to show the world how peace is achieved and how people can live together no matter what they believe or the colour of their skin or what country is their origin or what decent they are.

what happened in SGI was wrong...both sides should never have gotten divorced...but it happened and the shock and awe has developed to conversations such as this. so maybe it was meant to be...

it's a long road ahead...
gohonzon

Re: We need to celebrate our differences

Post by gohonzon »

For the 500th Time, The Head Temple does not want or need Soka Gakkai or their money, or any future lay organization that will breed 1. disobedience, 2. Religious syncretism, 3. heterodox practice and/or 4. attempt to change its orthodox doctrines will find themselves Expelled from Hokkeko, time and time again.

In my sincere opinion, it was not wrong. Sometimes you have to cut the Cancer out.
High Priest Nikken Shonin made his golden legacy that will be forever remembered as a victory for the Head Temple.

This should be clear to all people, drill it into everybody's brain if necessary. The Dai Gohonzon is within the Taisekiji Head Temple and will remain there until Hokkeko achieves Kosen Rufu. Tozans are full, gojukai are consistent... compared to what Soka Gakkai is teaching/practicing now, why would the Sohonzan want Soka Gakkai back? Please accept and move on.
The Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teachings is Legally owned & cared for exclusively by the Nichiren Shoshu Orthodox Temple Priesthood. — vowed Temple members are called "Hokkeko". :applause:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

For the world and Kosen rufu we owe it to ourselves and others to celebrate our diversity ..

like the Tee Pee with the delegation of indigenous peoples saying whats on their mind, that today they are celebrating not Canada's 150th but hundreds of years of surviving Canada . The talked of the genocide, we had these schools run by the Catholic church with horrid rapes and total war on the children's heritage, beatings , suicides ...years of it...total nightmare
here
the government tore children from their families and forced them into this nightmare of systematic ethnic cleansing.

So what do we now...

LISTEN

I think it starts with the knowledge we are all striving to practice the same Dharma.
and stuff like my editing out what was a knee jerk reaction to the first reply, thinking about it and trying to say something from a different angle without being cantankerous
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

gohonzon wrote:For the 500th Time, The Head Temple does not want or need Soka Gakkai or their money, or any future lay organization that will breed 1. disobedience, 2. Religious syncretism, 3. heterodox practice and/or 4. attempt to change its orthodox doctrines will find themselves Expelled from Hokkeko, time and time again.

In my sincere opinion, it was not wrong. Sometimes you have to cut the Cancer out.
High Priest Nikken Shonin made his golden legacy that will be forever remembered as a victory for the Head Temple.

This should be clear to all people, drill it into everybody's brain if necessary. The Dai Gohonzon is within the Taisekiji Head Temple and will remain there until Hokkeko achieves Kosen Rufu. Tozans are full, gojukai are consistent... compared to what Soka Gakkai is teaching/practicing now, why would the Sohonzan want Soka Gakkai back? Please accept and move on.
What's Kosen Rufu?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

KOSEN RUFU 廣宣流布 broadly proclaim and propagate

From the 23rd chapter of the Lotus Sutra.

"After my passage into extinction (parinirvana), within the last five hundred years (2000-2500 years after the Buddha's parinirvana) broadly proclaim and propagate (廣宣流布) it (the Lotus Sutra) in Jambudvipa, never allowing it to be cut off, nor evil Mara's people, or gods, dragons, yaksas, kumbhandas, and the like to get the better of it."

Its the prophecy and injunction that the truly authentic Dharma should spread after the demise of the provisional teachings.

This is a major theme for Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai. This is the foundation of Soka Gakkai's vigorous propagation efforts.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

gohonzon wrote:For the 500th Time, The Head Temple does not want or need Soka Gakkai or their money, or any future lay organization that will breed 1. disobedience, 2. Religious syncretism, 3. heterodox practice and/or 4. attempt to change its orthodox doctrines will find themselves Expelled from Hokkeko, time and time again.

Well, that escalated quickly!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

Queequeg wrote:KOSEN RUFU 廣宣流布 broadly proclaim and propagate

"After my passage into extinction (parinirvana), within the last five hundred years (2000-2500 years after the Buddha's parinirvana) broadly proclaim and propagate (廣宣流布) it (the Lotus Sutra) in Jambudvipa, never allowing it to be cut off, nor evil Mara's people, or gods, dragons, yaksas, kumbhandas, and the like to get the better of it."

Its the prophecy and injunction that the truly authentic Dharma should spread after the demise of the provisional teachings.

This is a major theme for Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai. This is the foundation of Soka Gakkai's vigorous propagation efforts.
Where is Jambudvipa supposed to be?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Anonymous X wrote: Where is Jambudvipa supposed to be?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambudvipa?wprov=sfla1
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Grigoris wrote:

Dude is always on high alert ready to blast the heretics.

Many Nichiren Buddhists are like foaming at the mouth Tasmanian devils.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Yeah but is it Nichiren Daishonin's "foundation"
I ask because you seem to suggest only those two organizations are trying to live up to this
prophecy and injunction
as you put it.

is this your take on it? Is it really a
prophecy and injunction
Are there other ways of looking at it.

Is it not the whole thing behind Nichiren Shonin's advent and life's work . : to start the legacy.

i look at it as the legacy of the Lotus Sutra instead of a
prophecy and injunction

when you turn it into a theme ,
This is a major theme for Nichiren Shoshu and Soka Gakkai
it comes off as a softening of the reality.

Or are you dumbing it down due to the cringe we all feel from the olden gakki days of propagation :tongue:

If indeed you are doing this then your approach reminds me of this booth Gakki had up in a mall i came across when i was into Tibetan Buddhism.
It had all the United Nations Unesco logos and stuff and this edict that the Gakki was tolerant and protective of all religions...I approached a Japanese guy who thought i was still a Gakki member due to my demeanor and knowledge , i guess...

anyway he was some head of the study department sent to Canada from SGI headquarters ..

So i asked him pointing to the signage " I don't get it...are we not the ultimate religion and the rest are just poison. "

He fondly replied "yes , but as you know we don't really say that to new members right away or to people we are trying to shakkabukku."

then some girls who knew who i was rushed over with a "Hey Dave how ya doin?......

i guess that's one of the things we need to have in the open to get the business done of working together. the hypocrisies that have become accepted.

some might not want to work together just now...i get that...old habits born from fanatical nightmares are hard to wake up from...
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Queequeg wrote:
Grigoris wrote:

Dude is always on high alert ready to blast the heretics.

Many Nichiren Buddhists are like foaming at the mouth Tasmanian devils.
indeed , most of us have been there done that got the tshirt and karmic scars.

my point is that eventually somewhere on the road it all has to stop..

it could very well start with the group that posts here in this section and the many lurkers who practice as well.

it's a shame ...
one thing i learned from a Geshe from Tibet, is his way of looking at the turning of the Dharma Wheel by Buddha.

Any teaching, philosophy , religion that has love at it's core is from that turning.
The teaching then affords one to try and live correctly without doing harm .
in the end , i guess, kalpas of not doing harm ,is a goal of this turning of The Dharma Wheel.

then the merit produced kicks in and will help you out of the nightmare.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Minobu wrote:

it could very well start with the group that posts here in this section and the many lurkers who practice as well.
Speaking of lurkers...

I've been meaning to jump in. I'm another who has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. (Several actually, but I don't think they fit any more :-( )

This group certainly seems like it is going in the right direction and I'm hoping to contribute. I'm not sure yet what kind of group we want / are able to create, or how I can contribute but I do feel we are moving with the time. Nichiren Buddism in the west is starting to grow up and we don't need the training wheels of the gakkai/(sho)shu. But developing something that is true to the spirit of buddhism, the spirit of nichiren and true to our own cultural heritage is quite a challenge.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Bois de Santal wrote:
Minobu wrote:

Speaking of lurkers...

I've been meaning to jump in. I'm another who has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. (Several actually, but I don't think they fit any more :-( )

This group certainly seems like it is going in the right direction and I'm hoping to contribute. I'm not sure yet what kind of group we want / are able to create, or how I can contribute but I do feel we are moving with the time. Nichiren Buddism in the west is starting to grow up and we don't need the training wheels of the gakkai/(sho)shu. But developing something that is true to the spirit of buddhism, the spirit of nichiren and true to our own cultural heritage is quite a challenge.
Welly welll well well. I viddied you at the bottom of the screen where a crowd gathers to gawk ..a couple of times and wondered..
Howdy hi then EH!
But developing something that is true to the spirit of buddhism, the spirit of nichiren and true to our own cultural heritage is quite a challenge.
the fact you even know this is proof you are in it up to your glassies already ...if i may say so...
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

OK. What would it mean for Hokkeko to achieve Kosen Rufu, per our friend gohonzon's earlier post? How would one know if this job is finally done, given the limitlessness of samsara? What would it take to accomplish this?
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Anonymous X wrote:Where is Jambudvipa supposed to be?
Soka Gakkai usually interprets this to mean "the entire world" in its publications. Some could just as easily interpret it to mean Asia, and only Asia.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Minobu wrote:We are celebrating our 150th in Canada today!
the indigenous people brought in a TeePee and wanted to put it up right on parliament hill where the biggest celebrations were going to down.
Their claim is they are not going to celebrate 150 years of Canada but one of occupation and genocide by Canada and a celebration of surviving it.

The RCMP would not let them bring the tee pee in....Trudeau ,our prime minister , said it was ok and after they put it up....asked them to bring it closer to centre stage...it's a huge protest against our day...right next to the main stage!
The prime minister and his wife took of their shoes went into the Tee Pee and listened to them ...and stayed for 45 minutes.

Ok the point is this...canada is a huge diversified country with this great experiment going on where everyone celebrates their differences..

the past decade or so, that is hammered home at each and every Canada Day celebration... We are celebrating our differences today...thats Canada Day...sort of our 4th of july...
we don't sing about the rockets red glare bombs bursting in air...we sing about celebrating our diversity as peoples and we are not perfect but are trying to get it right.

for real...most Canadians now define themselves as such. A diverse people trying to get along...
Our government under both a conservative and a Liberal Party exclaims this as Truth, our identity .

you are all smart people here...take the message i am giving you...and think about it the next time you bash another who is practicing this dharma in their way...

The last words Obama spoke on his very last foreign visit was in Canada .."The world needs more Canada"
His words.

it means we really do get excited and jump up and down about all the different religions and peoples we call Canadian.

wer are 36 million people...one million muslims...we have taken in 45,000 Syrian refuges so far ...we welcome them...embrace them...Constantly on the news we see little towns celebrating their Syrian refugees becoming Canadian and growing. As the Syrians become successful it makes the news with glee.

Nichiren's offspring needs more Canada..

now that is not to say we cannot debate the nuance of this philosophy and Dharma...or how to practice...but we need to celebrate our differences.

it's the only way ...and we all should be doing it and use that to show the world how peace is achieved and how people can live together no matter what they believe or the colour of their skin or what country is their origin or what decent they are.

what happened in SGI was wrong...both sides should never have gotten divorced...but it happened and the shock and awe has developed to conversations such as this. so maybe it was meant to be...

it's a long road ahead...
Canada definitely gets a pass in its international reputation despite their cruel treatment of the indigenous population there. They haven't been as diverse as the US for most of their history and haven't been tried the way the US has by facing the moral dilemmas that come with diversity. The policies that Trudeau forwards, and has become emblematic of, are likely to bring Canadians many challenges and surprises in the future.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I have a few of those old t-shirts too, but I don't wear them anymore. I'm happy to practice alongside anyone, a number of my closest friends are devout Catholics. I don't go to mass with them, but attend various other services and volunteer efforts alongside them.

The SGI members I know propagate by talking with people, sharing their experience of how the practice has helped them, and bringing them to meetings. That takes many forms, people from the office, family members etc. If they go to a meeting, thats cool if they stay thats great, if they don't hopefully they leave with an impression of the group's commitment to one another and their individual & respective transformation thru the practice.

Personally I think kosen-rufu will happen on its own as people transform themselves. I would not advocate that my Catholic friends should practice one way or another, I see them transforming themselves and living well with one another as it is.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote:I have a few of those old t-shirts too, but I don't wear them anymore. I'm happy to practice alongside anyone, a number of my closest friends are devout Catholics. I don't go to mass with them, but attend various other services and volunteer efforts alongside them.

The SGI members I know propagate by talking with people, sharing their experience of how the practice has helped them, and bringing them to meetings. That takes many forms, people from the office, family members etc. If they go to a meeting, thats cool if they stay thats great, if they don't hopefully they leave with an impression of the group's commitment to one another and their individual & respective transformation thru the practice.
I think you are a fine example of what we should all strive to remember when telling people about this practice.

you're alright narwal90 .
thanks for being you.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

narhwal90 wrote:I have a few of those old t-shirts too, but I don't wear them anymore. I'm happy to practice alongside anyone, a number of my closest friends are devout Catholics. I don't go to mass with them, but attend various other services and volunteer efforts alongside them.

Personally I think kosen-rufu will happen on its own as people transform themselves. I would not advocate that my Catholic friends should practice one way or another, I see them transforming themselves and living well with one another as it is.
Almost sounds like you think kosen-rufu will happen even if no one ever converts to Buddhism.
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

DGA wrote:
OK. What would it mean for Hokkeko to achieve Kosen Rufu, per our friend gohonzon's earlier post? How would one know if this job is finally done, given the limitlessness of samsara? What would it take to accomplish this?
…I understand this is a public forum and you are seeking that nauseating discussion for your inquiry, but there is enough internet resources online so you can be educated on the actual Nichiren Shoshu Doctrines on Kosen Rufu along with it's specific requirements and expectations, there is even a red gate by the Nikko Shonin Gohonzon to answer your cute little trivia. So many triggered reactions yet none of you people bother to learn the actual Nichiren Shoshu doctrines. Google is your best Friend.
Last edited by gohonzon on Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dai-Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary of the Essential Teachings is Legally owned & cared for exclusively by the Nichiren Shoshu Orthodox Temple Priesthood. — vowed Temple members are called "Hokkeko". :applause:

Return to “Nichiren”